Official Rangers vs St Mirren Match Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I would use Balogan moving into the middle when necessary, from Saturdays performance he look comfortable with the ball, and like I said there's a lot of interchanging going on in that lineup, I didn't intend it to be a rigid 3-5-2, you'd have attack from Kent, Itten, and support from Hagi and Aribo and would allow for Tav and Borna to bomb forward when attacking.

I like the idea of 3 at the back in certain games. Making more of our aerial threat at set pieces could be great, if we could learn to head the ball on target.

But again its only really Balogun coming forward at the expense of a midfielder or forward on the park here.

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

I would use Balogan moving into the middle when necessary, from Saturdays performance he look comfortable with the ball, and like I said there's a lot of interchanging going on in that lineup, I didn't intend it to be a rigid 3-5-2, you'd have attack from Kent, Itten, and support from Hagi and Aribo and would allow for Tav and Borna to bomb forward when attacking.

I like your thinking mate, but I'd prefer Balogun's runs to be left to the odd occasion. He is our one fast CB, and I'd much prefer him sticking to that. We don't want to be hit on the counter if the ball's been lost with Balogun in the midfield and Goldson being up against, well, anyone.  With the two fullbacks being central to our attack, well you know what I  mean,  we need our CB to be sensible and a bit more conservative otherwise we could be in for a sucker punch.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I like the idea of 3 at the back in certain games. Making mire of our aerial threat at set pieces could be great, if we could learn to head the ball on target.

But again its only really Balogun coming forward at the expense of a midfielder or forward on the park here.

Serious question mate what other midfielder would you put in and I don't think Roofe is match fit and Alfie's heads gone.

2 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Serious question mate what other midfielder would you put in and I don't think Roofe is match fit and Alfie's heads gone.

Aribo Jack and Kamara.

Aribo almost a free role going forward as he has been, to add to Hagi Kent and the new lad Itten.

3 minutes ago, Swally said:

I like your thinking mate, but I'd prefer Balogun's runs to be left to the odd occasion. He is our one fast CB, and I'd much prefer him sticking to that. We don't want to be hit on the counter if the ball's been lost with Balogun in the midfield and Goldson being up against, well, anyone.  With the two fullbacks being central to our attack, well you know what I  mean,  we need our CB to be sensible and a bit more conservative otherwise we could be in for a sucker punch.

When I say Balogan moving into midfield what I mean is carrying it out from the back and cutting out this needless preoccupation we have with our CB's passing it out to our holding CDM only to get it passed back to him,  someone like Balogan cuts out that shit and gets the ball up the park quicker and in turn has the opposition defenders turning or out of position , our build up from the back can be so pedestrian it drives me up the wall at times.

4 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

If we're playing with two sitting midfielders against St Mirren are we allowed to say Gerrard has learned fuck all in two seasons? 

Its not sitting if they're rotating the ball in the middle of the St Mirren half, regardless of the names of those deemed 'sitting'.

Its hard to name a team without two of those I expect you deem 'sitting' midfielders if Roofe and Defoe are out, and Gerrard has had enough of Morelos.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Aribo Jack and Kamara.

Aribo almost a free role going forward as he has been, to add to Hagi Kent and the new lad Itten.

Mate that's two CDM's against st Mirren at home,  I'm trying to get away from that

4 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Mate that's two CDM's against st Mirren at home,  I'm trying to get away from that

If they play in front of our CHs that's defensive. If they play in the middle of the St Mirren half and we're camped inside that half then they're not defensive. They're still likely to be better at pushing us forward than us waiting for a CH to breach forward.

Arfield has done more in limited sub appearances than Jack has in 2 full 90 mins so he deserves a start.

Also Itten has been playing and think he’ll start and score. The problem is defence. Helander was our best player tonight and technically best defender but at home in the SPFL you want someone to bring the ball out from the back so that suits Balogun better. Goldson is Gerrards favourite so he won’t be dropped.

McGregor

Tavernier Goldson Balogun Barisic

Aribo Arfield Hagi

Itten Morelos Kent

We’re playing St Mirrenat Ibrox no need for defensive midfielder.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If they play in front of our CHs that's defensive. If they play in the middle of the St Mirren half and we're camped inside that half then they're not defensive. They're still likely to be better at pushing us forward than us waiting for a CH to breach forward.

No offence mate but neither Jack or Kamara are positive enough going forward and just slow things down even if they are camped out in the st Mirren half, IMO there's no way we should be playing both of them against opposition like st Mirren.

Might have been said already but can’t help but think we might have had an agreement with Lille if that’s Alfie’s destination that we can keep him to see out the European campaign as we had nobody else really with Defoe injured and Kamberi away 

Fully expect at least one of the new boys to be involved Sunday, whoever plays we should be putting a team like St mirren away no bother 

I’ll be satisfied with 3 points again even if it’s another 1-0 at this stage of the season just need the points on the board

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

No offence mate but neither Jack or Kamara are positive enough going forward and just slow things down even if they are camped out in the st Mirren half, IMO there's no way we should be playing both of them against opposition like st Mirren.

So dropping Kamara for Helander, and having Balogun capable of stepping into midfield does?

If St Mirren are camped in their box, and we're moving and recycling the ball around the edge of their box then where are our 3 CHs when watching this?

If it was upto me ;

McGregor 

Tavernier Goldson Helander Barisic 

Hagi Jack Aribo

Roofe Itten Kent 

Dunno if putting Hagi in the middle with Jack and Aribo is square pegs with round holes, though. 

Just think Morelos is done and the thought of Davis and Kamara fills me with fear.

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

If it was upto me ;

McGregor 

Hagi Jack Arfield

Roofe Itten Kent 

Dunno if putting Hagi in the middle with Jack and Arfield is square pegs with round holes, though. 

Just think Morelos is done and the thought of Davis and Kamara fills me with fear.

Aribo for Arfield and Patterson for Tav n ye might be bang on mate.

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

If it was upto me ;

McGregor 

Hagi Jack Aribo

Roofe Itten Kent 

Dunno if putting Hagi in the middle with Jack and Aribo is square pegs with round holes, though. 

If Roofe isn't fit?

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

And thats where the problem lies imo.

Any one from Arfield, Kamara, Davis etc uts easier to argue against than for.

I like Arfield but Kamara, Davis or Jack getting the nod for that midfield is nothing to shout about.

The phrase 'best dressed man in the burns ward' springs to mind.

14 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So dropping Kamara for Helander, and having Balogun capable of stepping into midfield does?

If St Mirren are camped in their box, and we're moving and recycling the ball around the edge of their box then where are our 3 CHs when watching this?

If st Mirren are camped in their own  half we then also have Tav and Borna supplying from the wings, it means we have 3 defenders back instead of 4 surely they would be able to hold the fort against the normally 1 forward that they would have to deal with until support gets back to help out if needed and that allows us an extra forward thinking player rather than the passback kings Jack or Kamara.

Archived