Happy Birthday John Greig MBE

20 May 2017: 

Former Rangers footballer John Greig today officially opened the Sporting Memories Room at Erskine Park Home in Bishopton.

The room features lots of sporting memorabilia with one wall displaying a large mural containing photographs of sporting greats from a variety of sports from athletics to swimming; boxing to football.  Erskine Park residents chose which sporting greats they would like to see in the mural with the designer coming up with the finished design.

Voted ‘The Greatest Ever Ranger’ in 1999 by the club supporters, and former captain of the Scotland team, John Greig features in the mural which takes pride of place in the Erskine Park Sporting Memories Room.  There are also other photos of John in the room, in fact his photo features in the room six times!

Erskine Park Home houses 40 residents who are either veterans or a spouse of a veteran, all of whom are living with dementia.  The room provides a quiet place where they can reminisce about memorable sporting occasions.  The charity hold football memories sessions in the room where residents are encouraged to talk about their favourite player or team.  Residents also use the room to watch sport on the television with football matches being a popular choice.

John said: “It was great to meet everyone.  It’s a wonderful place and the Sporting Memories Room brought back many memories for me.”

Carol McPhail, Activities Assistant at Erskine Park said: “We are thrilled that John came along today to officially open our Sporting Memories Room.  Many of our residents are keen on football and for such a football legend to come to our home to spend time with them is fantastic.  I am sure we will be reminiscing about this day for many years to come.

The mural in the Sporting Memories Room is sponsored by RSEA (Rangers Supporters Erskine Appeal) and the Bluebells Bar, Puerto Del Carmen.  RSEA also assisted with the room financially and sourced some of the items on display.  A donation of £3,000 from the Bank of Scotland Community Fund towards the cost of the room, allowed the project to begin.  The mural was designed by James Baird www.theblueroom.co.uk

sct_JW_38391.jpg?resize=768,512&ssl=1

sct_JW_38394.jpg?resize=768,512&ssl=1

sct_JW_38397.jpg?resize=640,300&ssl=1

https://www.renfrewshire24.co.uk/2017/05/20/john-grieg-opens-sporting-memories-room-in-erskine-home/

It really makes me laugh when I hear the term legend attached to so many of our past players who have performed well for us in there careers with the club but John Greig what is what the term true legend should be measured against, for supporters who never witnessed his career with us it will be hard for them to imagine why those supporters of my age hold him in such high esteem and recognize what the term "true legend" really means,  many happy returns John Greig legend.

5 hours ago, MorelosRangers said:

For those who were around when he played, drop us some info and stories.

He was actually a Jambo at heart mate but became a true leader of Rangers in time. Not the most gifted but he lead by example. Probably a better left-back than a centre-half. A heart of a lion and something we have missed in recent years. 

His honour of being the best Rangers player ever was not out of talent but because of leadership, grit and loyalty. They don't make them like Grieg these days.

16 hours ago, don logan said:

Would have loved to have  seen him play.

He, John Greig scored the winner, penalty at Ibrox for the 1st game my Dad took me to. I was 6 years old 1969. And we regularly spoke about it all the way through my childhood.

Roll on 1991 and my Dad and I were invited to the opening of the executive boxes at Ibrox by Alex Willoughby - and low and behold, Mr Greig was our waiter - what a man. 2 of the finest days of my life.

Happy birthday sir...…..

5 hours ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

He, John Greig scored the winner, penalty at Ibrox for the 1st game my Dad took me to. I was 6 years old 1969. And we regularly spoke about it all the way through my childhood.

Roll on 1991 and my Dad and I were invited to the opening of the executive boxes at Ibrox by Alex Willoughby - and low and behold, Mr Greig was our waiter - what a man. 2 of the finest days of my life.

Happy birthday sir...…..

One of my first games was his testimonial in 1978 but I don't remember much.

Archived