When will Jim Denny get the respect he deserves?

The Widow's Son

Fairytale Scottish Cup debut in a replayed final.  He tried very hard for us but didn't make too many appearances.  An old friend from long ago once commented that "Even the bad wans will wear the royal blue more often than we ever will".  I don't think that Denny was that bad.  Tin hat on.  Ducking down in the trench.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was politely described as a “journeyman” but I thought he wasn’t even that good.

In an era when we were bang average at best, he shone like a 10 watt light bulb in a power cut.

An indication of how rotten we were is the fact that (please correct me if I’m wrong) Denny played in every single outfield position for us at one time and was rotten in every one of them.

Made the number 12 jersey his own but I was convinced his middle names were “Aw” and “Fuck” because, when he came on, nobody called him “Jim”, they just said “Aw Fuck Denny”

Poor man’s Alex Miller.

2 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

How he ever played for us will forever remain a mystery.

Before my time, but he was meant to be brilliant in training apparently but couldn't carry it over to the pitch.

I'm pretty sure the only trophy he won with Rangers was the Cup Winners Cup, on the bench with Graham Fyfe :lol: 

1 hour ago, coopsleftboot said:

Was a good physio....treated my dodgy knee in his Paisley garage a good few years ago.

Talked about Rangers, admitted he was shite and got lucky :lol: 

Was just about to say he didn’t make much of a physio either :lol:

I'm a wee bit older now and i like to think a bit wiser as well:confused: but Jim Denny played in a 70's Rangers team that i used to follow home and away right up until i left for Canada in 1980.

His first game for Rangers was in a Cup Final replay , 71? , against them and he was thrust in at the deep end , as they say , due to injuries we had sustained. As i recall his signing from Yoker Ath. was a rushed thing due to said injuries and i wasn't at the replay so i cant remember how he did but i remember doing my fair share of yelling abuse at him during his time at the Club though. I'll say this the fact he was in the squad for the ECWC Final says more about his ability as a Football player than my knowledge in judging players back then and probably the main reason why myself , and a great many others , pay to get in instead of being paid to play.

Another player in that era who got his fair share of abuse was Ally , the white Pele , Scott. A player who imo was treated to just as much abuse as Jim Denny got and , depending on how you judge your Rangers players , deservedly.

Both of these players tried their hardest for the jersey on their back though which is more than can be said for some more modern players that have played for the Club.

By the way i met Ally Scott at a supporters dance years ago and a nicer guy you'll be hard pressed to meet.

40 minutes ago, Canabear said:

I'm a wee bit older now and i like to think a bit wiser as well:confused: but Jim Denny played in a 70's Rangers team that i used to follow home and away right up until i left for Canada in 1980.

His first game for Rangers was in a Cup Final replay , 71? , against them and he was thrust in at the deep end , as they say , due to injuries we had sustained. As i recall his signing from Yoker Ath. was a rushed thing due to said injuries and i wasn't at the replay so i cant remember how he did but i remember doing my fair share of yelling abuse at him during his time at the Club though. I'll say this the fact he was in the squad for the ECWC Final says more about his ability as a Football player than my knowledge in judging players back then and probably the main reason why myself , and a great many others , pay to get in instead of being paid to play.

Another player in that era who got his fair share of abuse was Ally , the white Pele , Scott. A player who imo was treated to just as much abuse as Jim Denny got and , depending on how you judge your Rangers players , deservedly.

Both of these players tried their hardest for the jersey on their back though which is more than can be said for some more modern players that have played for the Club.

By the way i met Ally Scott at a supporters dance years ago and a nicer guy you'll be hard pressed to meet.

Yup Jim Denny’s debut was against the bheggars in the SC replay 1971 deputising for an injured Alex Miller who had played the first game against the tarriers with a broken jaw. Was at both games. JD had a good game but it was all downhill after that.😂

14 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Fairytale Scottish Cup debut in a replayed final.  He tried very hard for us but didn't make too many appearances.  An old friend from long ago once commented that "Even the bad wans will wear the royal blue more often than we ever will".  I don't think that Denny was that bad.  Tin hat on.  Ducking down in the trench.

Never heard of the bloke.  I vaguely remember cammy fraser and he was rubbish. 

Common fallacy that he was rubbish, especially amongst those who seldom seen him play. I used to watch Jim Denny in reserve games and he was head and shoulders above the rest,just wasn't able to step up a gear to the top.

Anotherl question might be, when will Alex Ferguson and Roger Hynd get the respect they derserve ?

2 hours ago, Canabear said:

I’m pretty sure Jim Denny was in the CWC squad because Alex Miller, Ronnie McKinnon and Colin Jackson were all injured? 

16 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Was it Jim Denny that had a noticable humph? 

Archived