Gerrard's record at Hibs, Hearts Aberdeen and Kilmarnock

6 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Walter Smiths record away to Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen in 07/08 and 08/09

Dundee: Played 4 - Won 1

Aberdeen: Played 4 - Won 0

Hibs: Played 6 - Won 3

Hearts: Played 3 - Won 1

07/08 we got to a European final, won a cup double and blew the title on the last day. 

Won 18 at home, lost 1.

08/09 we won the league on the last day, won the SC.

Won 11 away games. 

And this was with a manager who had already won 13 trophies beforehand.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, McKissock said:

I remember similar criticisms of Smith's side at the time, there are a few contextual differences though. The main one is Smith has credit in the bank as a manager, experience and know-how.

Gerrard's side really needed to win a trophy last season - run them proper close and win a cup or two, I'd hoped if we didn't win the league outright then we would at least show this kind of progress. We failed spectacularly on this front. In 07/08 (ignoring all the strain of a run to the UEFA Cup final) we still won two cups and put up a huge fight for the title. In 19/20 we surrendered meekly in January. 

None of that matters here.. the crux of the matter is it's not easy to go these grounds and pick up wins. Even someone like Smith and all know how and experience struggled. Why are we expecting a rookie manager who arguably has a tougher job on his hands to do any better?

Gerrards issue is been dropping daft points to the likes of Hamilton. Not his away record against the "best of the rest"

3 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Nothings Gerrard's fault mate. Nothing. It's no him that's spent multi millions since 2018 and has fuck all trophies to show for it. 

You're getting all worked up again and no making any sense. Did I excuse the lack of trophies anywhere? Show me, pal. 

12 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Where did I suggest it was finished? :lol: what the fuck are you talking about? Show me where you think I even implied that and I'll help you out with where you went wrong, pal. 

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

2 leagues? How many games did he manage that season? How far in front were they again? 

56 minutes ago, King Jela said:

The season 18/19 though, how many games did he manage and how far in front were they? 

Walter Smith coached  on a level playing field where the OF were pretty much on par financially. Since 2012, the financial gap has been huge but we are slowly getting there. In fact, I would say the gap has closed.

Comparing Smith's Rangers to Gerrard's Rangers is slightly unfair.

Just now, Iakona said:

None of that matters.. the crux of the matter is it's not easy to go these grounds and pick up wins. Even someone like Smith and all know how and experience struggled. Why are we expecting a rookie manager who arguably has a tougher job on his hands to do any better?

Having managerial experience certainly did matter because Smith's sides showed progress from season to season - it took him two years to win the league. For what it's worth, I think Livingston was the real killer so far this season. They were out of form and had to change their goalkeeper and we were abysmal.

Hibs away, a side in good form, aye results like that can happen in isolation. The frequency of them, and the timing of them, don't inspire confidence though and that's what has people riled up. We played a million times better yesterday than we did away to Livingston, came back from a goal down and still conspired to throw it away because of our own deficiencies and some bad luck with a refereeing decision.

On the last point, because it's his job? Because if he can't, then our chances of winning the league are slim to none? I think there are clearly people on here who would be quite happy if he was replaced because he hasn't shown the ability to do so in the past 2 years. I'm not quite there myself, but I can understand why people are frustrated and why they take this opinion. It's a pattern with this side and when you ignore them, you're likely to suffer.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Walter Smith coached  on a level playing field where the OF were pretty much on par financially. Since 2012, the financial gap has been huge but we are slowly getting there. In fact, I would say the gap has closed.

Comparing Smith's Rangers to Gerrard's Rangers is slightly unfair.

Wow.....just wow.

Think we were far outspending them in our 9iar term. Few articles a out it.

Regarding the financial gap now, there isn't much if anything. We are spending £10's of millions under gerrard. Some of their best players are also players they have brought through the academy.

If you want to see a real spending gap then look at the budgets of Kilmarnock, Hibs, Hamilton etc who this current team consistently don't perform against.

14 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

07/08 we got to a European final, won a cup double and blew the title on the last day. 

Won 18 at home, lost 1.

08/09 we won the league on the last day, won the SC.

Won 11 away games. 

And this was with a manager who had already won 13 trophies beforehand.

💯

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

"How far in front were they?" 

Implying they were miles ahead and just about to wrap it up when popcorn teeth took over, when the reality was we were very much still in it up until Gerrards first game against him at Parkhead. 

I never implied the league was wrapped up at all :lol: absolutely mental.

How many games did he manage and how many points in front was he, to you, is an 'implication' that the league was wrapped up. Holy fuck. 

He never done it himself, Rodgers built up the lead and Lennon took over. The posts I quoted you originally on this subject had no mention of Rodgers. 

Management haven't learned a damn thing. Beale can spout all the pish he wants but the proof is in the pudding and he ain't the tactical mastermind he has been lauded as. Gerrard can be filed under the great player shite manager category like many others. 

This is just Warburton stuff but with more money spent.

Just now, McKissock said:

Having managerial experience certainly did matter because Smith's sides showed progress from season to season - it took him two years to win the league. For what it's worth, I think Livingston was the real killer so far this season. They were out of form and had to change their goalkeeper and we were abysmal.

Hibs away, a side in good form, aye results like that can happen in isolation. The frequency of them, and the timing of them, don't inspire confidence though and that's what has people riled up. We played a million times better yesterday than we did away to Livingston, came back from a goal down and still conspired to throw it away because of our own deficiencies and some bad luck with a refereeing decision.

On the last point, because it's his job? Because if he can't, then our chances of winning the league are slim to none? I think there are clearly people on here who would be quite happy if he was replaced because he hasn't shown the ability to do so in the past 2 years. I'm not quite there myself, but I can understand why people are frustrated and why they take this opinion. It's a pattern with this side and when you ignore them, you're likely to suffer.

Again, that wasn't my point. I'm not saying Gerrard is on the same level as Smith.

The topic is Gerrards record away to the bigger teams.. Everyone's slaughtering it when infact it's not any worse than Walter Smiths. We all know where Gerrard is failing... it's the games against Hamilton, Livingston etc. 

6 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Wow.....just wow.

Think we were far outspending them in our 9iar term. Few articles a out it.

Regarding the financial gap now, there isn't much if anything. We are spending £10's of millions under gerrard. Some of their best players are also players they have brought through the academy.

If you want to see a real spending gap then look at the budgets of Kilmarnock, Hibs, Hamilton etc who this current team consistently don't perform against.

The gap has now closed and both squads look similar in terms of ability.  But just two years ago, when Gerrard arrived, the gulf was massive.  we were taking 4-0 and 5-0 defeats to celtic.  

Yes, the Old Firm teams spend a lot more than everyone else that's why both teams currently top of the league table and will be for the rest of the season.  It's a two horse race again.

1 minute ago, Iakona said:

Again, that wasn't my point. I'm not saying Gerrard is on the same level as Smith.

The topic is Gerrards record away to the bigger teams.. Everyone's slaughtering it when infact it's not any worse than Walter Smiths. We all know where Gerrard is failing... it's the games against Hamilton, Livingston etc. 

Not the 13 games he failed to beat the 4 teams mentioned? Bold take

Archived