Xray spots snakes in a bag.

Manila X-ray spots snakes in bags

Filipino authorities have intercepted an apparent attempt to smuggle more than 100 poisonous snakes and lizards onto a plane bound for Bangkok.

Security officers noticed a snake-shaped image moving inside a woman's suitcase as it was X-rayed.

Inside, they discovered live snakes coiled up inside soft drink bottles and lizards with nappies to collect urine.

Some 50 lizards, 39 cobras, 21 vipers and other smaller lizards were found hidden in two pieces of luggage.

The animals, many considered threatened species, were handed over to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

An official from the department said the cache of animals could have been worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Reptile species are believed to have aphrodisiac properties and are often traded as good-luck charms, delicacies or ornaments in some parts of Asia.

The woman has been held for questioning.

Last week Manila airport authorities stopped a man who had travelled from Cambodia with three live Siamese crocodiles.

He had told authorities that the half-meter-long (1.5ft) reptiles were live fish.

I find this disgusting how anyone can even try and put these animals through the stress of flying. Reptiles, lizards etc hate it. And around 90% die in flight.

Manila X-ray spots snakes in bags

Filipino authorities have intercepted an apparent attempt to smuggle more than 100 poisonous snakes and lizards onto a plane bound for Bangkok.

Security officers noticed a snake-shaped image moving inside a woman's suitcase as it was X-rayed.

Inside, they discovered live snakes coiled up inside soft drink bottles and lizards with nappies to collect urine.

Some 50 lizards, 39 cobras, 21 vipers and other smaller lizards were found hidden in two pieces of luggage.

The animals, many considered threatened species, were handed over to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

An official from the department said the cache of animals could have been worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Reptile species are believed to have aphrodisiac properties and are often traded as good-luck charms, delicacies or ornaments in some parts of Asia.

The woman has been held for questioning.

Last week Manila airport authorities stopped a man who had travelled from Cambodia with three live Siamese crocodiles.

He had told authorities that the half-meter-long (1.5ft) reptiles were live fish.

I find this disgusting how anyone can even try and put these animals through the stress of flying. Reptiles, lizards etc hate it. And around 90% die in flight.

Flying is quite stressful, but I reckon being in a bag with 100 poisonous snakes would have my stress levels pretty much at maximum anyway :ph43r: