The Facts

gersfan

-Barry Ferguson has been one of our best players this season (in my opinion by far the best)

-He has and shows more passion than anyone else in the team

-He is a lifelong supporter of our once great club and knows exactly what we are all about

-He left once, and very publicly admitted what a mistake it was, and announced that he wanted to be Rangers player for the rest of his career. He LOVES our club, and there is no team in the world he would rather play for.

-He carries the rest of our midfield in most games, and for the most part the rest of the team.

-He is one of the only players we have (maybe the only one) who would not have looked out of place in the best teams of our past (ie 9 in a row team)

Good point on the radio: He has been made captain by 3 different managers - obviously they all thought it would benefit the team to have him as captain, seems to be just le Guen who cant work with him.

-Paul le Guen has accomplished nothing at Rangers so far, while Barry Ferguson has done a lot for the club over almost his entire career.

-le Guen has brought very little to our club, we are arguably worse off than we were last year.

-His signings have been extremely poor for the most part, and he really doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing.

-Has made dodgy decisions before, as with the dropping of on-form Allan McGregor in favour of Letizi for absolutely no logical reason. Credit to him for later realising that he may have made a mistake, and not making the same mistake twice.

Paul le Guen's reasons for axing him APPEAR to be:

He tries to have too much influence - not entirely sure what he means by this but as the captain Barry has a certain responsibilty to be as influential a player as possible.

le Guen doesn't like that Barry shows his frustration - well he obviously hurts as much as we do when Rangers lose, and i really dont see the problem with this.

Barry obviously shouts at the rest of the team when we're not playing well, tries to fire them up and get their arses together. - it seems le Guen would rather he sat quietly in the corner, with a wee disappointed look on his face.

Barry was apparently not leading by example - well from what i saw during games that is exactly what he has been doing.

Thinking back to the way the legend that is Richard Gough captained our 9 in a row team, what exactly is Ferguson doing wrong. He is no Gough, but he is doing everything in his power to try and turn our fortunes around, and make sure that every one of the players privileged enough to pull on a Rangers jersey does the same.

-Barry Ferguson has been one of our best players this season (in my opinion by far the best)

-He is a lifelong supporter of our once great club and knows exactly what we are all about

-He left once, and very publicly admitted what a mistake it was, and announced that he wanted to be Rangers player for the rest of his career. He LOVES our club, and there is no team in the world he would rather play for.

-He carries the rest of our midfield in most games, and for the most part the rest of the team.

-He is one of the only players we have (maybe the only one) who would not have looked out of place in the best teams of our past (ie 9 in a row team)

Good point on the radio: He has been made captain by 3 different managers - obviously they all thought it would benefit the team to have him as captain, seems to be just le Guen who cant work with him.

-Paul le Guen has accomplished nothing at Rangers so far, while Barry Ferguson has done a lot for the club over almost his entire career.

-le Guen has brought very little to our club, we are arguably worse off than we were last year.

-His signings have been extremely poor for the most part, and he really doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing.

-Has made dodgy decisions before, as with the dropping of on-form Allan McGregor in favour of Letizi for absolutely no logical reason. Credit to him for later realising that he may have made a mistake, and not making the same mistake twice.

He tries to have too much influence - not entirely sure what he means by this but as the captain Barry has a certain responsibilty to be as influential a player as possible.

le Guen doesn't like that Barry shows his frustration - well he obviously hurts as much as we do when Rangers lose, and i really dont see the problem with this.

Barry obviously shouts at the rest of the team when we're not playing well, tries to fire them up and get their arses together. - it seems le Guen would rather he sat quietly in the corner, with a wee disappointed look on his face.

Barry was apparently not leading by example - well from what i saw during games that is exactly what he has been doing.

Thinking back to the way the legend that is Richard Gough captained our 9 in a row team, what exactly is Ferguson doing wrong. He is no Gough, but he is doing everything in his power to try and turn our fortunes around, and make sure that every one of the players privileged enough to pull on a Rangers jersey does the same.

great post . (tu)

Too true Gerfan, good post and summed up my thoughts entirely. Now we wait to see what Mr Murray has to say.

I hope he tells Mr Le Guen to get the finger out and get Barry back in the squad asap. Mr Le Guen will most likely not accept this if that is the case. On the other hand we have to respect Mr Murray regardless of his decision. He wants what we all want and that's a successful Rangers. <bouncy>

Post of the day. Excellent points mate. (tu)(tu)(tu)(tu)

What you all fail to realise is that what ferguson has been doing isnt good for the team. when you are at the game and see him taking the ball from the goalkeeper or off the centre backs does it not annoy you that the more attacking of the two midfielders is being so defensive. The other problem is that he simply doesnt defend well, he doesnt shut men down and doesnt tackle.

Le guen has asked him to play a role, he isnt doing so and it hurts the team. We now have to always use the wings as he doesnt push forward, this means commiting Hutton and Smith up the flanks which leaves the defense short for cover. Hemdani or Svensson then has to cover which leaves gaps in the box and teams score.

There is the other problem that because we have around 7 players in our own half, we are letting teams come at us. there is no real reason for Ferguson to play so deep, he has been asked to play a more attacking role by PLG and he isnt doing it. Surley from a tactical standpoint, you can all see that the way he plays is allowing teams to attack us.

It was the same thing that happend when Mcleish was in charge, Ferguson didnt trust the other players he played with and played too far back. He does much better in Europe when he pushes up the field but for some reason in Scotland he doesnt want to do so.

If any player plays against the managers wishes and the role he plays affects the team then the manager has every right to drop him.

Cheers for the responses guys, took me ages so sorry if similar posts have gone up while i was typin! Have been raging since yesterday as i'm sure the vast majority of us have, and i just keep going round in circles and getting more and more pissed off so thought i'd better try and get my thoughts down and then just read them like everyone else! Then maybe i could see if there is any logic to any of this at all..........nope, can't find any. I usually try to be quite diplomatic, and believe it or not was more or less prepared to give le Guen about 2 seasons to turn things round, but as far as i'm concerned he has gone too far now. I feel betrayed and helpless, and hope he is out by the end of the week. If it is a choice between Ferguson and le Guen then there is just no contest. Unfortunately it isn't like Murray to sack a manager (something i've actually been pleased about in the past) but I just hope that he sees that Barry Ferguson is a much greater asset to Rangers than Paul le Guen.

What you all fail to realise is that what ferguson has been doing isnt good for the team. when you are at the game and see him taking the ball from the goalkeeper or off the centre backs does it not annoy you that the more attacking of the two midfielders is being so defensive. The other problem is that he simply doesnt defend well, he doesnt shut men down and doesnt tackle.

Le guen has asked him to play a role, he isnt doing so and it hurts the team. We now have to always use the wings as he doesnt push forward, this means commiting Hutton and Smith up the flanks which leaves the defense short for cover. Hemdani or Svensson then has to cover which leaves gaps in the box and teams score.

There is the other problem that because we have around 7 players in our own half, we are letting teams come at us. there is no real reason for Ferguson to play so deep, he has been asked to play a more attacking role by PLG and he isnt doing it. Surley from a tactical standpoint, you can all see that the way he plays is allowing teams to attack us.

It was the same thing that happend when Mcleish was in charge, Ferguson didnt trust the other players he played with and played too far back. He does much better in Europe when he pushes up the field but for some reason in Scotland he doesnt want to do so.

If any player plays against the managers wishes and the role he plays affects the team then the manager has every right to drop him.

No offence mate, but i don't think i agree with any of this! Everyone sees things differently so fair enough, but i can't see how anyone could say we are losing games because of the way Barry is playing!

when you are at the game and see him taking the ball from the goalkeeper or off the centre backs does it not annoy you that the more attacking of the two midfielders is being so defensive.

This is something he has always done since he first started playing under Advocaat, taking charge of the game and always making himself available for the ball no matter where it is on the park! I loved him for it then (looked to me like he was taking responsilbilty even then and showing a maturity beyond his years) and i love him for it now. I don't see how this is being defensive, when he comes back and takes the ball and moves forward with it. He certainly doesn't just sit back and watch all the play going on in front of him, he makes a fair few lung-bursting late runs into the box, and is constantly probing away at defences trying to thread the ball through.

Exactly what role has le Guen asked him to play? And how is he not doing so? He is playing all over the park, giving 100% every game. Not sure i get this at all. And to suggest that the reason we lose goals is because he doesn't attack, is complete pish if you ask me.

Good post. Although i thing Barry is our best player by a long shot, it is sometimes obvious that he disrupts the shape of the team, PLG said he has "been patient" so from that it sounds like he has been telling Barry where to play and how to play but Barry has continued with his own ideas. In the end it looks like PLG thought it was undermining his position and felt he had to act. One thing for sure though, he HAS to start producing the goods now!

No offence mate, but i don't think i agree with any of this! Everyone sees things differently so fair enough, but i can't see how anyone could say we are losing games because of the way Barry is playing!

when you are at the game and see him taking the ball from the goalkeeper or off the centre backs does it not annoy you that the more attacking of the two midfielders is being so defensive.

This is something he has always done since he first started playing under Advocaat, taking charge of the game and always making himself available for the ball no matter where it is on the park! I loved him for it then (looked to me like he was taking responsilbilty even then and showing a maturity beyond his years) and i love him for it now. I don't see how this is being defensive, when he comes back and takes the ball and moves forward with it. He certainly doesn't just sit back and watch all the play going on in front of him, he makes a fair few lung-bursting late runs into the box, and is constantly probing away at defences trying to thread the ball through.

Exactly what role has le Guen asked him to play? And how is he not doing so? He is playing all over the park, giving 100% every game. Not sure i get this at all. And to suggest that the reason we lose goals is because he doesn't attack, is complete pish if you ask me.

He is being asked to play further up the park in an attacking midfield role, with clement as the holding midfielder. Clement is much better at closing down players and tackling, which is why of the two ferguson is there to take the ball forward.

He is however getting the ball deep and then not actually getting forward, he and clement are playing as two holding players which with a 442 against teams like saint mirren isnt needed. PLG wants him further up the park to link up play with the strikers, to score goals and to be there for anything breaking out of the opponents box.

When we put a cross in we should have two strikers in the box with the more attacking of the two midfielders waiting for any scraps outside. Instead Ferguson is still standing way back next to clement, so the ball breaks and the opposition gets it. by this time the full backs have commited themself to the attack as ferguson isnt far enough forward, they are needed to help out our wingers.

The team then counters and we have no full backs as they have had to come up to support the wingers as Ferguson is so far back and isnt linking up play.

He isnt playing his role in an effective manour because he doesnt have a free role. He is part of a 442 which is a pretty rigid formation, he shouldnt be taking the ball off the left back or centre back at all as thats clements role, he shouldnt be running up the left wing either as it means we are left uncovered in the middle. What he should be doing is playing in the middle, threading passes out wide and running through the middle. Instead of running 40 yards with the ball and getting no where, he could pass to clement who could then carry it forward or pass to hutton then look for a pass back.

Ferguson is constantly trying to do everyone elses work for them and then leaving massive gaps in the centre of the park, it then leaves Rangers exposed at the back.

As for him always looking for the ball, thats fine however he is doing it at the wrong places. We dont need him so far back getting the ball, to run 40 yards then play a pass to the left back. We need him to push forward, look for the ball in midfield and carry the ball into attacking positions. From there he can release burk, sionko, boyd, novo ect with a through ball. We havent had that from him this season other than in the Hibs game where he was outstanding.

As a matter of fact in the Hibs game the team played great because he pushed forward, he made himself available and linked up well with Prso and Sionko. Clement sat back and broke up the attacks, then we hit them with slick passing moves. That is how plg has asked him to play and thats why we played well, he allowed Clement to do his job and he did his own in spectacular fashion.

I cant put it any clearer than that, he isnt playing the role he has been asked to play as he wants to do it all himself. If he isnt in the opponents half then we can only use the wings, teams realise that and crowd the wings. We then need to commit more players to the wings and we get hit on the counter attack which looses goals. Le Guen wants order in his team, if a player doesnt keep to his position then it wont work and he cant be blamed for dropping that player.

At the end of the day Ferguson is a brilliant player, personally im a huge fan of his however i cant sit back and listen to people make these comments when Ferguson is part of the reason we arent playing well and are loosing goals...

I don't agree that he is part of the problem. He has been great this year.

Go Bazza!

Have you read what ive said at all? Can you not see that Ferguson isnt getting forward enough to support the strikers? taking the ball from the goalie then wandering around in your own half isnt effective at all, he is simply trying too hard...

Shear -- Yes, Barry is doing too much -- I agree. But why? Is it because the signings that PLG has made are crap and Barry feels he needs to do it all?

Even with the extra workload he has carried, he's still our best player. The game against Haifa he was immense. No one else on the current GERS team can do what he did that night -- won the game by himself. Just like when he played Riquelme off the pitch -- when he had one leg (away in Villareal.) Which BRITISH player could do that? Gerrard -- yes. Lampard -- hmm maybe? Fergie is that good.

Maybe if PLG had studied the SPL a wee bit instead of being preoccupied with Austria Vienna, we wouldn't be in this position?

Shear -- Yes, Barry is doing too much -- I agree. But why? Is it because the signings that PLG has made are crap and Barry feels he needs to do it all?

Even with the extra workload he has carried, he's still our best player. The game against Haifa he was immense. No one else on the current GERS team can do what he did that night -- won the game by himself. Just like when he played Riquelme off the pitch -- when he had one leg (away in Villareal.) Which BRITISH player could do that? Gerrard -- yes. Lampard -- hmm maybe? Fergie is that good.

Maybe if PLG had studied the SPL a wee bit instead of being preoccupied with Austria Vienna, we wouldn't be in this position?

I have no doubts about Fergusons ability, he is a great player infact i think he is better than he is made out to be.

Ferguson however isnt playing how he should in scotland. In Europe he was getting much further up the park and being far more effective in that position which is where PLG wants him to play.

Thats the point here, not how good a player he is but the fact he isnt doing what the manager wants him to do and that it isnt benefiting the team. Everyone has been moaning at the manager but what can he do when the players are ignoring his game plan? Ferguson can run any scottish game with ease, he simply hasnt been playing far enough forward to do so...

Couldnt agree more with this analysis. Great post. It is likely that it is Le Guen's analysis too. We will have to wait and see if it is the source of the problem.

Some have said that Le Guen admits he has weakened the team with his omission of Ferguson. This is simply not true.

What he said was that a Rangers team playing as he wants them to with Ferguson in the team is better than a Rangers team playing as he wants them to without Ferguson.

But clearly he thinks that a Rangers team playing as he wants them to without Ferguson has the potential to be better than - a Rangers team not playing as he wants them to with Ferguson.

And the fact he can analyse the problem at this level is why he should remain Rangers manager. And if Ferguson could understand this then he too could stay. But he doesnt - and so won't.

We play our best and most effective football on the ground. I get annoyed with the ball being lumped aimlessly up the park for our giant players Novo, Sionko,Burke because we never win the ball in the air and never win the second ball.

McGregor has obviously been instructed to play the ball long, Svensson hits the long ball, Hemdani has the talent to play decent passes but it tends to be Svensson who makes the passes.

Barry wants to play through the midfield and, therefore, goes back to collect the ball to make the passes which will keep us in possession. So if that is disobeying the managers tactics, I would have to support Barry and football.

We play our best and most effective football on the ground. I get annoyed with the ball being lumped aimlessly up the park for our giant players Novo, Sionko,Burke because we never win the ball in the air and never win the second ball.

McGregor has obviously been instructed to play the ball long, Svensson hits the long ball, Hemdani has the talent to play decent passes but it tends to be Svensson who makes the passes.

Barry wants to play through the midfield and, therefore, goes back to collect the ball to make the passes which will keep us in possession. So if that is disobeying the managers tactics, I would have to support Barry and football.

Thats not the problem though, its where Barry is playing that is the problem. He is far too deep to be effective, so him playing there is no better than a long ball. He needs to allow Clement more of the ball and to push up the field.

Too many people are missing the point that Barry isnt a bad player but that he isnt playing in an effective manner by being so far back...

Great assessment Shear.

So, Barry is our best player, he often plays out of position - then our best player playing out of position is not making the best contribution to the team. The manager looks at how the team might make the best of the available players and asks them to play a role - if one or more players ignores that, it disrupts others, then it affects the whole team.

Maybe Barry tries too hard, for a player of his experience he should perhaps understand it better than it seems. Also, as captain of Rangers he should have the team's interests first (and maybe he believes he does) but his manager is telling him he wants something different but is ignored - result, he, the whole team, the club and fans are affected. Some of the best Rangers captains were true leaders, they led the team on and off the park, they worked together with their respective managers. But Barry should remember Souness and Butcher, Souness and Roberts, Advocatt and Amorouso - all great captains who differed from the manager (and IMHO Barry is not as good a captain as any of those) and what happened next?

Barry has been great at times this season (IMHO not as good as the season before he left for Blackburn) but he is not a one-man team. In my view he has lost the professional perspective on things and it has cost him/us dearly. There must always be room for passion, even the often over-hyped "playing for the jersey" but we need the team captain to be an inspirational leader, not a disruptive influence.