Jack Warner - says Europe hates England

Boab

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=1256122007

JACK Warner, the outspoken vice-president of FIFA, believes England is so unpopular as a footballing nation that any bid to host the 2018 World Cup finals is doomed.

In an interview to be broadcast tomorrow on the BBC's World Service, Warner dismissed England's chances if FIFA's rotation policy brought the finals to Europe in 11 years' time.

"If by chance, in 2018, the World Cup were to go to Europe, I'm quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won't get it," Warner said.

"It'll be Italy, Spain, or it might even be France. Nobody in Europe likes England. England - who invented the sport - has never had any impact on world football. England at no time has had the love and support of Europe. For Europe, England is an irritant."

Warner is president of CONCACAF, which runs the game in north and central America along with the Caribbean. He was highly critical of former Scottish Football Association president John McBeth earlier this year, accusing him of racism.

McBeth, speaking after his election as vice-president of FIFA (a post he would never fill due to his remarks), said African and Caribbean football associations were tainted by greed. Ironically, McBeth was also scathing of England's standing in world football, stating "the rest of the world hates their guts".

Warner was scathing in his condemnation of McBeth in May, calling on FIFA to "send him back to Scotland where he belongs".

Aware that England has some support for a bid to host the World Cup for the first time since winning it in 1966, Warner has vowed to fight their bid.

He said: "There are moves to give it to England. I must fight that.

"I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from CONCACAF."

Warner hopes that CONCACAF could produce its own bid for the 2018 finals. The 2006 tournament was in Germany, 2010 will be held in South Africa and Brazil is expected to be the host nation in 2014. FIFA is currently reviewing its policy on rotation.

"I know in FIFA there are those persons who believe the rules should be changed to satisfy Europe but I tell you this today we shall fight it to the very end," Warner added.

His views contrast with those of Franz Beckenbauer, who like Warner is a member of FIFA's 24-strong executive committee, which decides the World Cup hosts.

Beckenbauer, a World Cup winner as a player and manager, and who headed the organising committee of the 2006 finals, said less than two weeks ago that England were the 2018 favourites and praised its Premier League and stadia.

The Football Association reacted with "shock and disappointment" to Warner's attack. The FA has written to Warner regarding the comments.

FA chairman Geoff Thompson, who is also a FIFA and UEFA vice-president, said: "I have written to Jack Warner today to clarify the accuracy of the quotes and request his views and an explanation as to why he made them if they are accurate.

"Understandably, we were shocked and disappointed to read the views attributed to Mr Warner, with whom we have enjoyed a very good relationship.

"Until we have all the facts in front of us at the FA, we are both unwilling and unable to pass any comment regarding these potentially explosive remarks.

"However, regarding the FIFA World Cup 2018, the FA, with the full support of the British government, has already indicated that should FIFA award the World Cup to Europe in 2018, we will give serious consideration to making such a bid."

THE WISDOM OF JACK WARNER

"Nobody in Europe likes England. At no time has it had the love and support of Europe. For Europe, England is an irritant."

- Warner speaking about England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup

"To me, that smacks of racism of the worst kind. We all feel deeply insulted and we will support any moves to send him back to Scotland where he belongs."

- Warner on John McBeth's claim African and Caribbean football associations were tainted by greed.

"The British vice-presidency is an anachronism."

- Warner on Britain's position of privilege and influence within FIFA

---------I'm no proud Brit but this is shocking from Mr Warner.

Imagine a white man had said this, seriously, I'm not a racist but it is a point to consider.

Also, to say England has had no impact in World Football is frankly silly, what about the Beckham move to America? That could be a momentous thing for American Football and its progress. On the Footballing side, they have have won a World Cup (I dare say!) and gave many world class players to the Footballing World.

I was stumped to what you meant Danny but I am not as I seen this in jadams thread on the english football.

However, my thread makes this story more promient (tu) Not everyone would have went into jadams thread

If they decide to keep the host rotation thing going the 2018 World Cup would be in Asia. If it gets allocated to Europe I think Italy or Spain will get it. I saw Australia has made a bid to host it which I think would be fantastic. Would love it if the World Cup came here. Australia has a good reputation for holding great sporting events, the Sydney Olympics were quoted as being the best ever, we've held the Commonwealth Games recently and Rugby and Cricket World Cups and have some world class facilities. Unfortunately I don't think we have the money to get it. In regards to this guys comments, I think it's fair to say that a lot of people certainly have a distaste for the English national team. It's the most popular league in the world but let's face it most of the good players in it aren't English anyway. The English have a reputation for fan violence and an arrogance that outsrips their achievements by a long shot. I can see where he's coming from.