Lazio chief quits in Carrizo blunder

Del Juve

Lazio director of sport Walter Sabatini has resigned over the botched Juan Pablo Carrizo transfer that left them with no first choice goalkeeper.

The club had picked the Argentine to replace recently retired Angelo Peruzzi, but the deal dragged on for weeks when he failed to complete his EU membership application in time.

The transfer window closed last night and the Biancocelesti were unable to find a suitable replacement.

Lazio are also left with an injury crisis, as they sold defender Manuel Belleri to Atalanta, but did not sign anyone to fill in for long-term injury Mobido Diakhitè.

“The undersigned Walter Sabatini announces he has today ended his collaboration with S.S. Lazio,†read a statement.

“I am convinced that I did not do entirely what was required of me by President Claudio Lotito, to complete the squad for 2007-08.

“To the President, Coach, team and all those who work for this club, I send my sincere and heartfelt thanks.â€

To all intents and purposes, their first choice goalkeeper now is last year’s substitute – 43-year-old Marco Ballotta.

The only other available shot-stoppers are 24-year-old Tommaso Berni, who has just two Serie A appearances to his name and was a reserve at Wimbledon from 2001 to 2003, and Uruguayan 21-year-old Nestor Fernando Muslera.

For a side competing in the Champions League, Serie A and Coppa Italia, this is not the strength in depth Coach Delio Rossi was hoping for.

Lazio are in Group C with Real Madrid, Werder Bremen and Olympiakos.

Can really see Lazio strugling in there Champions league group specialy against Madrid