Trevor Brooking in 'talking mince' shocker

Danny

England's chances of football success are in jeopardy, according to the man responsible for producing the next generation of talent.

Sir Trevor Brooking told BBC1's Inside Sport the rising number of foreign players in the top flight has led to a lack of depth in key areas for England.

The FA's director of development warned: "(The national team) has to be under threat - the numbers show that.

"I don't think you can underestimate it. It's a major concern."

Sir Trevor, back in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, the English Premier league was almost exclusively English.

And yer national team won nothing and was STILL crap bar your '90 WC team, which is the best team you've ever had.

So, sharrup :)

least he admits something is wrong, all the other english r still in their own fantasy land still living up 66', therei s a big problem with England atm.....

least he admits something is wrong, all the other english r still in their own fantasy land still living up 66', therei s a big problem with England atm.....

Disagree. There's no problem. They're just not very good and never have been. But now because their league is so rich, they think their national team should be winning everything in sight.

It never has and it never will.

Disagree. There's no problem. They're just not very good and never have been. But now because their league is so rich, they think their national team should be winning everything in sight.

of courses theres a problem, they should be better than what they r, players seem to give more commitement and better form for their clubs rather than country and it doesn't help that the manager doesn't have a clue, they have potential to be good but they r rotten and they r on a slippery slope to where we were in the Berti Vogt's era......where as we are goign in the other direction due to the fact that the SFA have caleld for this under 21 rule to come into play and we have seemed to reap the benefits.. or will in due time...

of courses theres a problem, they should be better than what they r, players seem to give more commitement and better form for their clubs rather than country and it doesn't help that the manager doesn't have a clue, they have potential to be good but they r rotten and they r on a slippery slope to where we were in the Berti Vogt's era......where as we are goign in the other direction due to the fact that the SFA have caleld for this under 21 rule to come into play and we have seemed to reap the benefits.. or will in due time...

I don't follow this argument of saying they should be better than what they are.

Their national side has won ONE honour and that's it.

Where is the history of riches which precedents the current 'drought'?

There isn't one.

I don't follow this argument of saying they should be better than what they are.

There isn't one.

well the players they have individually from their respected clubs, all of them put together should do better than what they r doing so now....thats only in theory though of course. Just seems like these players can co-operate together, i dunno wether thats due to ego or the size of their bank accounts but someting isn't right. end of the day i dunno why we r talking about it anyways :P, its only dirty England anyways :craphead:

There isn't one.

well the players they have individually from their respected clubs, all of them put together should do better than what they r doing so now....thats only in theory though of course. Just seems like these players can co-operate together, i dunno wether thats due to ego or the size of their bank accounts but someting isn't right. end of the day i dunno why we r talking about it anyways :P, its only dirty England anyways :craphead:

:lol:

Of course you make a valid point - surely a team filled with Terry, Gerrard, Rooney and Owen is gonna be a bit better than we'd think.

But in reality look at the first choice England side:

Robinson, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Neville, SWP, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Owen.

It's a very GOOD team but not a WC one. Too many of those players are simply good and not great. Many are embarrassingly overated like Cole and Ferdinand.

Compare it with Italy:

Buffon, Zambrotti, Cannavaro, Nesta, Oddo, Pirlo, Gattuso, Toni etc...

Every one a clearly world class player or even more.

England simply don't produce this quality of player, and never have imo.

They're by no means a great team, but they still have some very very good players. It's not the number of foreigners in the premiership hampering them, it's the shit manager, poor tactics and team selection. They have to get away from the idea of just picking the big name players Rio, Terry, Owen, Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard automatically without taking into account whether they can play together or not, or form.

Owen is barely match fit, scored a goal at the weekend from 4 yards but missed a shit load of chances and looks well off the pace. Yet he's walked straight into the England team and Heskey has basically been recalled just to partner him. Alan Smith is in the squad again despite not having done anything at club level since Leeds, ok he's been injured alot but until he actually does something he shouldn't get a recall. Sol Campbell recall, wtf so passed it it's unbelievable. Robinson and James consistently make costly and basic errors, bin them and give Carson and Green their chance.

Then you have Carragher retiring from international football at 29 despite being arguably their best cb because he never got a chance and when he did he was usually played out of position. That's what happens when the FA goes for a safe pick clueless idiot like MaClaren who has done nothing of note at club level.

Then again, 'mon the Israel, Russia and Croatia. :lol:

Its the media i think , they bum them up to the heavans and they are mince tbh with the exception of Gerard he is a quality player

England are not a World Class side, it really is that simple.

They live off of the "achievement" of 1966, BTW did you know England played every game at Wembley during that World Cup, and the reputation of their domestic league, even though the majority of that leagues superstars are foreign.

England need to realise that it's a team, not a group of big name individuals that will win you a tournament. I mean look at the side now, it hasn't changed one bit since Euro 2004. Players like Lampard, Beckham, Owen & Cole are still the first names on the teamsheet even though they have declined since then.

Now surely if a team cannot do well at two major tournaments in a row logic should tell you to strip out the deadwood and try to build a team that is capable of challenging at the next tournament?

All the other European superpowers do that. If they fail at a tournament they strip the team and start from scratch. By putting in younger less experienced players and allowing them to grow together as a team. England meanwhile stick with players who are getting older and more complcaent as they know that their place in the team is all but gaurenteed.

If I were England manager (god help me) I would take the following out the side, or squad altogether: Robinson, Neville, Ferdinand, Cole, Beckham, Lampard & Owen and replace them with: Carson, Richards, Taylor, Baines, Bentley, Huddlestone, Young & Lita .

That could give you a team of:

Carson

Richards Taylor Terry Baines

Bentley Huddlestone Gerrard Young

Rooney Lita

At the moment people will say woah, woah, woah thats your whole side being replaced with lesser players, but realistically England have to look to the next World Cup and the chances are palyers like Owen & Lampard wont even be there. However the players who come in wont be ready as they wont have the proper experience or practice under their belts. Bring the youngsers in now, because by 2010 I think every player mentioned there will be talked about in a similar way to which Owen, Lampard & Cole are now but they will have the advantage of hving grown up as a team and as a result will have a better chance of winning something.

Englands problems aren't down to Steve McLearn, the FA, Trevor brooking or the foreiners in The Premiership. They will always be made the scrapegoat, but really it's down to the arrogant and self rightous opinions and belifs of the English fans and until they realise this and get over themselves they wont achieve anything.

England are not a World Class side, it really is that simple.

They live off of the "achievement" of 1966, BTW did you know England played every game at Wembley during that World Cup, and the reputation of their domestic league, even though the majority of that leagues superstars are foreign.

England need to realise that it's a team, not a group of big name individuals that will win you a tournament. I mean look at the side now, it hasn't changed one bit since Euro 2004. Players like Lampard, Beckham, Owen & Cole are still the first names on the teamsheet even though they have declined since then.

Now surely if a team cannot do well at two major tournaments in a row logic should tell you to strip out the deadwood and try to build a team that is capable of challenging at the next tournament?

All the other European superpowers do that. If they fail at a tournament they strip the team and start from scratch. By putting in younger less experienced players and allowing them to grow together as a team. England meanwhile stick with players who are getting older and more complcaent as they know that their place in the team is all but gaurenteed.

If I were England manager (god help me) I would take the following out the side, or squad altogether: Robinson, Neville, Ferdinand, Cole, Beckham, Lampard & Owen and replace them with: Carson, Richards, Taylor, Baines, Bentley, Huddlestone, Young & Lita .

That could give you a team of:

Carson

Richards Taylor Terry Baines

Bentley Huddlestone Gerrard Young

Rooney Lita

At the moment people will say woah, woah, woah thats your whole side being replaced with lesser players, but realistically England have to look to the next World Cup and the chances are palyers like Owen & Lampard wont even be there. However the players who come in wont be ready as they wont have the proper experience or practice under their belts. Bring the youngsers in now, because by 2010 I think every player mentioned there will be talked about in a similar way to which Owen, Lampard & Cole are now but they will have the advantage of hving grown up as a team and as a result will have a better chance of winning something.

Englands problems aren't down to Steve McLearn, the FA, Trevor brooking or the foreiners in The Premiership. They will always be made the scrapegoat, but really it's down to the arrogant and self rightous opinions and belifs of the English fans and until they realise this and get over themselves they wont achieve anything.

I'd play Ashley Cole instead of Baines and hargreaves instead of huddlestone and to me that would be a good mix of experience and youth.