Domenech: I adore Italy!

Del Juve

Raymond Domenech assures he “adores†Italy, but that the rivalry with France is a large and crucial part of the neighbouring nations’ relationship.

The Coach will be in the stands at San Siro this evening after receiving a touchline ban for bringing the game into disrepute – accusing the Azzurri of fixing an Under-21 match back in 1999.

These statements made him a villain in the Italian Press, but he insists he will gladly return to the peninsula.

“I adore your country,†he said. “I love Italy and have a definite preference for Rome above all the other beautiful cities.

“I have been here many times on holiday without finding problems for what I do and who I am. I am happy to return on more occasions as a tourist.â€

The tension leading up to the Euro 2008 qualifier is at breaking point after Domenech’s allegations prompted further damning statements from Les Bleus, including Lassana Diarra claiming Italy were “a nation of provokers and cheats.â€

Yet despite the touchline ban, Domenech does not regret a single thing.

“Look, I hope that this situation between Italy and France always remains so alive and in the spirit of folklore. I would love it to continue for a very long time.

“I hope there will always be talk of Italy-France maintaining one’s own positions, ideas and concepts. In a few months at the European Championships it would be great to see these two nations fighting for the leadership of football once again.

“You see, it is like the rivalry between my home town of Lyon and St. Etienne. It is a heated rivalry, but a healthy one, each keeping their own opinions. I hope France and Italy continue along the same line.â€

Domenech was full of praise for the side that beat his team on penalties for the 2006 World Cup Final.

“With the Italians the game is never over until the 90th minute. Their most important quality is in their talent. It’s really a wonderful squad and represents the world champions.â€

The San Siro has prepared a few surprises for Domenech, who will be able to view the entire stadium from his position in the stands.

An area of the second tier will seat 3,000 children wearing blue and gold shirts so that they choreograph a giant tableau of the four World Cup stars won by the Azzurri.

Sponsors around the stadium have also put on sale thousands of red cards to wave in case there is another Zinedine Zidane-style exit, and for one Euro supporters can recreate that moment by having their photograph taken while headbutting a Marco Materazzi puppet.

“My players are men of experience and they know what to do,†said Domenech of his touchline ban.

“Long speeches that go on before the game are useless, anyway. How will I communicate with my assistant Pierre Mankowski? With telepathy.â€

He is still a prat :craphead: