Sign in to follow this  
D'Artagnan

The fight for our culture

And always remember Bears Big Jock Knew ! :sherlock:

With respect, and while I don't want an argument, I think this comment is inappropiate in the context of the thread IMO

No yellowcross I appreciate your candor and honesty - I fully understand that some of the strands I have mentioned under the banner of culture - or perhaps as Ibroxblue puts it our tribalism - have no interest whatsoeve to some Rangers fans.

But if I asked you to describe the expression of our support - what would your answer be ?

No yellowcross I appreciate your candor and honesty - I fully understand that some of the strands I have mentioned under the banner of culture - or perhaps as Ibroxblue puts it our tribalism - have no interest whatsoeve to some Rangers fans.

But if I asked you to describe the expression of our support - what would your answer be ?

DA, I don't know what my answer would be. It would be hard for me to try and generalise in that way.

Rangers are my team, always have been, always will be.

My Dad supported them. My mates through school supported them. From 7 years old the highlight of my week was when my Dad took me to a game. I loved it like nothing else.

As kids we were always kicking a ball around, trying to play like Cooper or Parlane or whoever, talking about games, dreaming of making it as a player... That love of the game itself - and love of one team in particular - is something that never leaves you. A kind of remembrance of something important - innocent, loyal, true, a camaraderie, a minor heroism etc - but ultimately, impossible to define.

I'm sure it means different things to different folk.

I struggle to define it for myself nevermind define what it is to others.

So, I'm sorry mate, I couldn't define the expression of our support.

No need to apologise yc - you have actually touched on something I have mentioned a number of times in other articles - at times our love of Rangers (whatever that means to us ) - is irrational and almost beyond comprehension.

I always find your posts interesting DA although I feel I am reading about a culture that is foreign to me. I am ambivalent about the Monarchy - ambivalent about Protestantism - I have no knowledge whatsoever about the Orange Order - and have had no involvement in Northern Ireland politics at all. Even my knowledge of Rangers doesn't really go any further back than 1973 when I started attending games as a 7 year old. That is just the way I am and I don't worry that I don't fit into any group per se. I have never expected to fit into a group. I don't really expect to find likeminded people anywhere nevermind a football game. You come across people who seem to be likeminded here and there, random meetings, writers you read, someone in a pub or whatever, but that likeminded person might, for example, be Chinese and 72 years old, or, for example, be some street-wise kid from New York - they might be any race/type of human being - likeminded to me being someone who thinks for themself, is independent in their outlook, tolerant, compassionate, sympathetic to others etc. So, I find it interesting when others identify with a particular culture so much, perhaps because I don't, maybe I find what I lack interesting... I'm sure there are many who agree with your outlook and I am sure it is valid - but being honest it seems foreign to me - like belonging to any gang or group would be foreign to me.

I am a Rangers fan and, for what it is worth, my credo in matters of faith could be summed up in this quote:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." The Buddha.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you don't construe any of this an attack or slight. It isn't. But as a Rangers fan I wanted to try and express my own sentiments when I hear about "The Fight for Our Culture": which is that I simply do not relate to much of that culture, although I find it interesting.

Wow, a quote from Buddha

That has to be a first on here!

Good job!

DA, I don't know what my answer would be. It would be hard for me to try and generalise in that way.

Rangers are my team, always have been, always will be.

My Dad supported them. My mates through school supported them. From 7 years old the highlight of my week was when my Dad took me to a game. I loved it like nothing else.

As kids we were always kicking a ball around, trying to play like Cooper or Parlane or whoever, talking about games, dreaming of making it as a player... That love of the game itself - and love of one team in particular - is something that never leaves you. A kind of remembrance of something important - innocent, loyal, true, a camaraderie, a minor heroism etc - but ultimately, impossible to define.

I'm sure it means different things to different folk.

I struggle to define it for myself nevermind define what it is to others.

So, I'm sorry mate, I couldn't define the expression of our support.

I think there are VERY MANY RFC supporters like you.

No need to apologise yc - you have actually touched on something I have mentioned a number of times in other articles - at times our love of Rangers (whatever that means to us ) - is irrational and almost beyond comprehension.

Now that is very true D'Art, a couple of weeks back when we played Killie I was away with the in-laws camping, took my radio, they couldnae believe it when I ignored them all to listen to gers game, irrational, perhaps, pissed them all off, but then again they are all Timmys

:rangers:

I always find your posts interesting DA although I feel I am reading about a culture that is foreign to me. I am ambivalent about the Monarchy - ambivalent about Protestantism - I have no knowledge whatsoever about the Orange Order - and have had no involvement in Northern Ireland politics at all. Even my knowledge of Rangers doesn't really go any further back than 1973 when I started attending games as a 7 year old. That is just the way I am and I don't worry that I don't fit into any group per se. I have never expected to fit into a group. I don't really expect to find likeminded people anywhere nevermind a football game. You come across people who seem to be likeminded here and there, random meetings, writers you read, someone in a pub or whatever, but that likeminded person might, for example, be Chinese and 72 years old, or, for example, be some street-wise kid from New York - they might be any race/type of human being - likeminded to me being someone who thinks for themself, is independent in their outlook, tolerant, compassionate, sympathetic to others etc. So, I find it interesting when others identify with a particular culture so much, perhaps because I don't, maybe I find what I lack interesting... I'm sure there are many who agree with your outlook and I am sure it is valid - but being honest it seems foreign to me - like belonging to any gang or group would be foreign to me.

I am a Rangers fan and, for what it is worth, my credo in matters of faith could be summed up in this quote:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." The Buddha.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you don't construe any of this an attack or slight. It isn't. But as a Rangers fan I wanted to try and express my own sentiments when I hear about "The Fight for Our Culture": which is that I simply do not relate to much of that culture, although I find it interesting.

You've stated your case and I respect your candid views. They are as valid and welcome as any other Rangers supporter (tu) .

Guest orangpendek

sorry to drag this back several hours but servers....ach.

i agree d'art that there are very many within labour who are happy to use the sectarian issue to deflect from more important matters. however, they're out now so i shall treat them as a historical relic.

really the importance given to association football in areas other than sport (education debate always throws up rangers/celtic, anti-social behaviour on a saturday is always the fault of the OF never booze or stupidity etc) reflects very poorly on scotland as a nation.

lance i dunno, man. i can appreciate your views coming from where you do and all, but what happens in ulster is up to ulster now. its your bag, baby, and it has nothing to do with rangers fc. you may choose to view the attacks on prod culture in ulster and attacks on rangers as intertwined, i think that's taking it a step too far. also, and this may sound a bit nasty but its not meant to, when irish fans cross the sea to follow man u in their droves, they don't seem to feel the need to bring their culture with them. why do ulster bears feel so driven?

In fairness to lance Dek - he is actually paraphrasing what Adams said about Unionist culture - and which I referred to in the original post.

Anyway - be gentle with me Im on Dostoevsky

"There are things which a man is afraid to tell even to himself, and every decent man has a number of such things stored away in his mind."

"We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight, somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken."

"Much unhappiness has come into the world because of bewilderment and things left unsaid."

Dostoevsky is the Man...!

(note: he actually nearly died at the beginning which was perhaps the source of his greatness).

"There are things which a man is afraid to tell even to himself, and every decent man has a number of such things stored away in his mind."

"We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight, somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken."

"Much unhappiness has come into the world because of bewilderment and things left unsaid."

Dostoevsky is the Man...!

(note: he actually nearly died at the beginning which was perhaps the source of his greatness).

You should join the RM book club - it consists of Dek and I !

"Life is in ourselves and not in the external," writes Fyodor Dostoevsky in a letter to his brother dated December 22, 1849. "To be a human being among human beings, and remain one forever, no matter what misfortunes befall, not to become depressed, and not to falter--this is what life is, herein lies its task."

This passage was written immediately after Dostoevsky underwent the traumatic experience that Tsar Nicholas I ordered for several prisoners condemned to death for supporting the expression of free thought within the Russian state--a mock execution in Semyonovsky Square, a staged performance so terrifyingly real that it induced insanity within one of the author's fellow prisoners.

Anyway guys, the thread has gone off-topic but I'd say it's no bad thing that while we debate Rangers and our culture etc we still have time to respect/read greats like Dostoevsky whose books are the pinnacle of Russian Culture....

Thanks and all the Best. Good Night.

And good night to you yc - your company was a real pleasure - it makes a change from having to listen to Dek rabbit on about John Buchan ;)

So lads, this yellowcross dude

real rangers fan?

LOL

bauba - you forgot your number...of your lodge

Guest orangpendek

outrageous....on the pendek bedside table tonight

my story - john greig

black sea - neal ascherson

scotland - michael lynch

search for shangri-la - charles allen

nary a sandy arbuthnot to be seen!

night all!

outrageous....on the pendek bedside table tonight

my story - john greig

black sea - neal ascherson

scotland - michael lynch

search for shangri-la - charles allen

nary a sandy arbuthnot to be seen!

night all!

And here was me thinking you were a one book man !

Night Dek !

I do think there is a lot of truth is this Ibroxblue - however would you not agree within the Rangers support there is an expression of sympathy towards the Protestant cause by those who are not even believers ?

Manticore was an example of this.

And I still am.

You don't have to be one to to know that it is not bigotted to be a Protestant or indeed an Orangeman.

As delusions go, they are my favourites ;)

And always remember Bears Big Jock Knew ! :sherlock:

With respect, and while I don't want an argument, I think this comment is inappropiate in the context of the thread IMO

Wow, Boab, look at your own contributions here.

The pot is calling the kettle black.