Totti

Del Juve

Was thinking about this after watching highlights of Roma V Dynamo and hearing Graeme Souness comments on Totti which i found amazingly garbage, calling Totti a "luxery" how can a player that ends last season as top goal scorer in Europe be a "luxery"? A captain of his club and idolised by the clubs fans a "luxery" also said Totti has won nothing....Right....So a SerieA league title, league cup and a world cup are nothing?

Its nice to see someone has the same view on the subject as myself ( Gabriele Marcotti )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=htQnwlV69cE

Unappreciated, for some reason the english media hate totti, they come up with every excuse under the sun to slate him, but when it actually comes down to it, he has personally won -

FIFA 100 (125 greatest living players, as selected by Pelé)

2006 FIFA World Cup All-Star Team

EURO 2000 Team of the Tournament

Italian Footballer of the Year:

2000, 2001, 2003, 2004

Serie A Young Footballer of the Year:

Serie A top scorer

2006-07

European Golden Boot:

and has scored 191 goals for Roma in his career

Not to mention he is a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF, Totti published two self-effacing joke books in order to raise money for a children's charity.

Unappreciated, for some reason the english media hate totti, they come up with every excuse under the sun to slate him, but when it actually comes down to it, he has personally won -

FIFA 100 (125 greatest living players, as selected by Pelé) 2006 FIFA World Cup All-Star Team

EURO 2000 Team of the Tournament

Italian Footballer of the Year:

2000, 2001, 2003, 2004

Serie A Young Footballer of the Year:

Serie A top scorer

2006-07

European Golden Boot:

and has scored 191 goals for Roma in his career

Not to mention he is a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF, Totti published two self-effacing joke books in order to raise money for a children's charity.

You do realise that "superstars" like El Hadji Diouf, Emre & Hong Myung-Bo also made it onto that list don't you?

For Roma in Serie A he's sublime.

For Italy in international duty, he's dismal.

It's almost like schizophrenia.

exactly! anyone who watches serie a and roma will know he is terrific for them. but when it comes to putting on the azzurri shirt he just doesnt seem the same player!

exactly! anyone who watches serie a and roma will know he is terrific for them. but when it comes to putting on the azzurri shirt he just doesnt seem the same player!

He won't have to worry about that any more though, given his early retirement from the Azzuri.

Was thinking about this after watching highlights of Roma V Dynamo and hearing Graeme Souness comments on Totti which i found amazingly garbage, calling Totti a "luxery" how can a player that ends last season as top goal scorer in Europe be a "luxery"? A captain of his club and idolised by the clubs fans a "luxery" also said Totti has won nothing....Right....So a SerieA league title, league cup and a world cup are nothing?

No, they're not. But to achieve those 3 things doesn't prove him to be an oustanding player in his own right. It just means he was in teams who achieved them.

Your medal haul doesn't reflect your actual ability - it reflects what teams you've been part of and when they won things.

That said, Totti has wonderful skill, vision and flair, but he is lazy and I believe he could have been so much more if he'd applied himself better. His temperament has also let him down badly at times.

He's a fantastic guy though, and as lola points out he put his name to 2 charity joke books which totally took the urine out of himself - a great sport. Also gave a kids' hospital about £2M and was absolutely disgusted when that news was made public.

Reason i started following Roma, he is a sublime player but has that nasty manic streak(on the pitch) in him that all true genius's have.

Clearly not everyones cup of tea but for me he does things/scored goals which few in the world could dream about let alone execute.

For me he typify's what you'd expect an old school italian to be like as he has all the hallmarks you'd expect, skill, graceful, flamboyant but mixed with being cynical, nasty at times, moody and as other posters have replied god damn lazy!!

No, they're not. But to achieve those 3 things doesn't prove him to be an oustanding player in his own right. It just means he was in teams who achieved them.

Your medal haul doesn't reflect your actual ability - it reflects what teams you've been part of and when they won things.

That said, Totti has wonderful skill, vision and flair, but he is lazy and I believe he could have been so much more if he'd applied himself better. His temperament has also let him down badly at times.

He's a fantastic guy though, and as lola points out he put his name to 2 charity joke books which totally took the urine out of himself - a great sport. Also gave a kids' hospital about £2M and was absolutely disgusted when that news was made public.

True...But to win SerieA title with Roma is a big achievement to be honest (as pointed out in link i posted)

He isint the same because he loves Roma much more than Italy, he has actualy said this in the past i think.Though he was amazing at Euro 2000, i believe he was man of the match in the actual final despite Italy losing

For a trequartista, to win the Golden Boot is a very impressive achievement.

For me, a very skilful player and one which should have done more internationally but then this happens to some players.

Also, a loyal servant to Roma.

Best player to come out of Italy, if only he would pull his socks up and put in a shift

To come out of Italy?

With respect, that's a bit of a bold statement.

I could name 5, maybe even 10, right now who are better.

Best player to come out of Italy, if only he would pull his socks up and put in a shift

To come out of Italy?

I suspect you misunderstood the post.

To come out of Italy?

In what way?

To come out of Italy?

In what way?

He is suggesting Totti WOULD be the best player to come out of Italy if only he was consistent and put in more effort.

As far as I can tell.

And tbh, he may have a case.

To come out of Italy?

In what way?

He is suggesting Totti WOULD be the best player to come out of Italy if only he was consistent and put in more effort.

As far as I can tell.

tbh it looks pretty much like "Best player to come out of Italy"

Its not hard to read.....

To come out of Italy?

In what way?

As far as I can tell.

But it is hard to read between the lines...

To come out of Italy?

In what way?

As far as I can tell.

But it is hard to read between the lines...

What lines would that be?? :rolleyes: