Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuart_RFC

Old Firm Match Postponed

Tommy McLean was saying it as well in a paper, don't remember what one.

I'd want it off, if it wasn't for our backlog of fixtures.

EDIT - BBC website has (on the scroller) that Celtic have officially asked for a postponement

Yip Celtic want it called off. Celtic have asked it to be postponed as a mark of respect

Celtic seek Old Firm postponement

Celtic want the game postponed as a mark of respect for Phil O'Donnell

Celtic have asked for the Old Firm match on Wednesday to be postponed as a mark of respect following the death of Motherwell captain Phil O'Donnell.

O'Donnell collapsed and died during Saturday's match against Dundee United at Fir Park.

The Scottish Premier League is considering Celtic's request to have the game at Celtic Park postponed.

Motherwell's match against Hibernian and Gretna's game with St Mirren have already been postponed.

Both Gordon Strachan and Rangers manager Walter Smith say if it was up to them the game would not be played.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7165976.stm

Fine by me, but I can't shake the feeling that he is using this as an opportunity to try and throw us off balance.

I think for once we gotta look at this like their isn't a hidden agenda. If an ex-ger died, we'd like to postpone our next game out of respect, regardless of who it was we were playing.

Just upset, was getting really excited about the game, but i'd rather give the respect he deserves.

This is a very difficult matter;

As a mark of respect it should be postponed.

If we accept that fans are at all important and the fact that many people have made expensive travel arrangements to attend the game then it should go ahead as planned.

At this late date a lot of people will lose time and money but it depends on which emphasis the people who have the power to make the decision will put on it.

I posted about this last night. The Tic fans were building up a head of steam about it. I predicted that we would be the bad guys(again) if they didn,t get their way. Now that everyone and his sister has managed to build O,Donnell up as some kind of latter day messiah,any club which doesn,t agree to a postponement will be Satan incarnate. I honestly think a postponement would be a decent gesture but this Celtic move has a hidden agenda. According to the Rhecord this morning the two clubs havd discussions yesterday and decided to go ahead with the game. 24 hrs. later,Celtic request a postponement.Go figure.

I think for once we gotta look at this like their isn't a hidden agenda. If an ex-ger died, we'd like to postpone our next game out of respect, regardless of who it was we were playing.

Just upset, was getting really excited about the game, but i'd rather give the respect he deserves.

Personally think a true mark of respect is a minutes silence, black armbands, singing their name during their match and the players going out there and putting on a true performance.

I don't think it is practical to cancel. It is the right thing to do, but in reality it's not really a feasible option, and if Gold and Setanta want it to go ahead, plus you add the travelling etc - I think it's unlikely to be cancelled.

Personally think a true mark of respect is a minutes silence, black armbands, singing their name during their match and the players going out there and putting on a true performance.

spot on

I don't think it is practical to cancel. It is the right thing to do, but in reality it's not really a feasible option, and if Gold and Setanta want it to go ahead, plus you add the travelling etc - I think it's unlikely to be cancelled.

Dunno mate.. i have a feeling this will be cancelled, i hope not though tbh

(tu) Agreed

The posts about minutes silence/applause and playing the game are right. They did not cancel games when Jinky or other lisbon lions died, I am being cycnical here, Strachan is shitting himself from this game.

i personally have no problem with the came being postponed, but january is hectic enough for us, without another rearranged fixture.

regardless of the situation surrounding the postponement

No free weekends, CIS Cup, Scottish Cup and European ties to go and the police wont allow a midweek nightime game.

Seem's that setanta and Lex Gold want it to go ahead and it should now.