Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuart_RFC

Old Firm Match Postponed

I think it's a bit fishy seeing as they haven't spoke about postponing it until they realised they wouldn't get any of their january signings in time for it.

Old Firm match postponed by SPL

Celtic want the game postponed as a mark of respect for Phil O'Donnell

Wednesday's Old Firm match has been postponed as a mark of respect following the death of Motherwell captain Phil O'Donnell.

O'Donnell collapsed and died during Saturday's match against Dundee United at Fir Park.

The Scottish Premier League postponed the game following a request by Celtic and Rangers.

Motherwell's match against Hibernian and Gretna's game with St Mirren had already been postponed.

Both Gordon Strachan and Rangers manager Walter Smith said if it was up to them the game would not be played.

More soon.

Well that's a fixture headache and a half.

That happened all too quickly for that to be thought through fully.

Dissappointing

The posts about minutes silence/applause and playing the game are right. They did not cancel games when Jinky or other lisbon lions died, I am being cycnical here, Strachan is shitting himself from this game.

No Jarosik. McDonald(slight niggle) and Boruc not fully fit, injuries in defence, no new players in plus Strachan sh*tting it!

This a tricky one with many different valid points,but the bottom line is the fact that(apparently) players of both teams don`t feel like playing.If that is the case then a call off is right .The players have a right to respect a fellow pro whichever way they want.

Wednesday's Old Firm match has been postponed as a mark of respect following the death of Motherwell captain Phil O'Donnell.

O'Donnell collapsed and died during Saturday's match against Dundee United at Fir Park.

The Scottish Premier League postponed the game following a request by Celtic and Rangers.

Motherwell's match against Hibernian and Gretna's game with St Mirren had already been postponed.

Both Gordon Strachan and Rangers manager Walter Smith said if it was up to them the game would not be played.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7165976.stm

strachan can go an kiss ma erse hes jist trying to use this as an excuse,if the game gets posponed then Mcgready nakamura and a few others will then be able to play when it gets rearranged,hes not doing it to pay respects to phil o,donnell hes doing it to suit him!!!he left celtic years ago.a minutes applause and wear a black armband.strapons sh*tting himself.rip phil

I don't think it is practical to cancel. It is the right thing to do, but in reality it's not really a feasible option, and if Gold and Setanta want it to go ahead, plus you add the travelling etc - I think it's unlikely to be cancelled.

Goes to show what I know.

So will that mean in the rearranged match the players out like Jarosik & Nakamura won't be able to play?

I won't hold my breath (tu)

More soon.

BBC Sport

I don't have a problem with the match being canceled, but Celtic did make the appeal and only after they had a morning in training to assess the injuries.

I am a bit suspicious as to their motivation.

Must admit, i am of the view that life must go on, grieving should be for friends and family, with the exception of Tommy Burns and a couple of others nobody else really would know Phil O'Donnell. Some people are taking advantage of the situation here.

May you rest in peace, Phil.

Morally, theres an arguement for cancelling the game.

However, as has been said, many fans from all over the UK, Europe and indeed the rest of the world will have planned for months for this game. They will lose out big-time, with airlines, trains, car-hire, accomodation etc.

The game should be played in my opinion, black armbands and a minutes silence/applause, whatever they decide.

Play the game I say.

Don't mind game being cancelled, but they should only be able to pick from the same players that would have been available for the rearranged fixture.

If not, the SPL and Strapon are having a fkn laugh.

Just in time for Nakamura and Jarosik to get fit and get the players they want in. This game should of been cancelled on Saturday night, not f*cken now.

F*cken b*llocks. Starchan you we mutant f*ck

Too late :(

Old Firm match postponed by SPL

Celtic want the game postponed as a mark of respect for Phil O'Donnell

O'Donnell collapsed and died during Saturday's match against Dundee United.

The Scottish Premier League decided to postpone the game following a request by Celtic.

Motherwell's match against Hibernian and Gretna's game with St Mirren had already been postponed. Three other SPL games will go ahead as planned.

Three SPL games - Aberdeen v Inverness, Dundee Utd v Hearts and Kilmarnock v Falkirk will be played on 2 January.

So will that mean in the rearranged match the players out like Jarosik & Nakamura won't be able to play?

I won't hold my breath (tu)

McGeady will be able to play in the rearranged fixture and so will anybody else who are fit again plus new signings

How can they play the other games and not ours?

Well well well... the ambulance chasers at their very best strike once again.

Using the death of a football player to ensure they avoid playing us whilst their best players are injured/suspended/not match fit.

Can Strachan stoop any lower?

YOU'RE SCUM AND YOU KNOW YOU ARE, YOU'RE SCUM AND YOU KNOW YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!