Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuart_RFC

Old Firm Match Postponed

I'm not buying the theory Celtic done it to get folk back fae injury. O'Donnell did play for Celtic after all. Sorry.

At the same time, the Old Firm could have been played with black armbands, silence/clapping, video of the deceased on the screens and it could been have done with grace as Coop said.

I'm still dissapointed though as I was looking forward to it but these things happen.

as a celtic fan just said to me. there was no game called off for jinky johnstone - one of celtics greatest ever players.

All the games for Jan 2nd should have been cancelled pretty well immediately as a mark of respect to avoid these suspicions as to Celtics motives ...its really sad that Celtic fans seem to be happy its off due to their current squad situation instead of the tragic circumstances

All the games for Jan 2nd should have been cancelled pretty well immediately as a mark of respect to avoid these suspicions as to Celtics motives ...its really sad that Celtic fans seem to be happy its off due to their current squad situation instead of the tragic circumstances

nail right on the head! (tu)

Im sorry, but I believe that they have manouvered this outcome to benefit their current circumstances

what reason exactly has been gven by the Scum? If it is merely a mark of respect then that's gash. Would you get a day off work (on a big day) if you were a joiner/polis/doctor/cleaner if a distant mate/colleague died? I think not.

It's your work. If the deceased is not your family then you just get on with it. How many of the Celtic team that would play us actually played with Phil or were close to him?

No one is being mean here, but we need some perspective.

Firstly the timing of the call off is extremely poor and i have great sympathy for all spectators who have or require to travel long distances, if is very unfortunate.

But just listen to all of you's with your paranoia and conspiracy garbage, if it was any other club apart from the tims you wouldn't have had this type of reaction, in addition is it not paranoia and conspiracies which you accuse them off and all take great delight in slagging them for! lets show some dignity here guys.

For one moment set aside your hatred for the tims and ask yourself would fellow professionals really do what you are suggesting and use injuries, suspensions and no new signings and use this as a hidden agenda to cancel a football match, personally i find the notion offensive and simply daft as both camps wanted the game postponed.

As far as i am concerned if we want to win the league we have to beat the tims over a season not just over one game at the girodome. Bring them on at full strength im not worried.

WE ARE THE PEOPLE.

According to Clyde Celtic requested that it be postponed as their squad struggled to cope with O'Donnell's death. I struggle to see the connection between O'Donnell and the celtic squad as a whole?? Scott McDonald was him team-mate last season and apparently McManus was good mates with him. Thats the only real connections i can see. Don't agree with the postponement while the other games go ahead.

Did Rangers postpone any games after Davie Cooper died in 1995 (less than 6 years after having played for us)? He had very strong connections to the Rangers squad at the time, McCoist & Charlie Miller etc.

RIP O'Donnell

of course they have a motive...if this was a genuine mark of respect they would have asked for it to be postponed on saturday evening. Not wait until Monday afternoon after they have had time to assess their players fitness etc.

come on..who are they kidding.

According to Clyde Celtic requested that it be postponed as their squad struggled to cope with O'Donnell's death. I struggle to see the connection between O'Donnell and the celtic squad as a whole?? Scott McDonald was him team-mate last season and apparently McManus was good mates with him. Thats the only real connections i can see. Don't agree with the postponement while the other games go ahead.

Did Rangers postpone any games after Davie Cooper died in 1995 (less than 6 years after having played for us)? He had very strong connections to the Rangers squad at the time, McCoist & Charlie Miller etc.

RIP O'Donnell

oh yes...im sure Boruc,Jarosik,Sno,Nakamura,JVOH are all seriously shook up by this. it was a sad day in scottish football when phil died but come on

Agree 'scarybearette' the games (on the 2nd) should have been postponed on Sunday at the latest. I cannot see how the game can be played before February, because we have no free time. Celtic fans being happy with it because of their shortage of players is really pathetic.

'perfect... hopefully we have a few games before now so aiden and a few new signings have time to settle first'

'The game was going ahead untill Celtic made a request for it to postponed, witch in my case is the right decision and also a tactical move to do so by Celtic.'

'dont mean any disrespect but this means mcgeady will be able to play we may also have jarosik nakamura hinkel mcfadden robson ect ect....'

Just a few reactions from Timothy. Fucking disgusting b*stards. This is a disgrace.

Let's be clear, the professional reponse would have been to carry on but with a minutes silence. Disgrace. I don't think it's a conspiracy at all. It's far too apparent to be in any way conspired.

looked on talk celtic as u dont have to register. the majority think the game should have went ahead but there are a few scumbags celebrating it as a tactical masterstroke! :7929:

SPL company secretary Ian Blair said: "These are never easy decisions. But we recognise that as a former player, Phil was part of Celtic's extended family."

Interview: Former Motherwell manager Tommy McLean

Media conference: Rangers manager Walter Smith

Blair said Celtic requested for the game to be postponed on Monday morning.

"After consultation with Rangers we agreed to postpone the Old Firm fixture on 2 January," he added.

A date has yet to be set for the game to be played.

Motherwell's match against Hibernian and Gretna's game with St Mirren had already been postponed.

Three SPL games - Aberdeen v Inverness, Dundee Utd v Hearts and Kilmarnock v Falkirk will be played on 2 January.

BBC again

Barry Ferguson was mates with Phil O'Donnell along with Stephen McManus. They both wanted the game to go ahead. O'Donnell was just aswell known at celtc park as he is at Ibrox, only difference is that he played 89 games in the hoops.

EVERY game in Scotland should of been called off on saturday night. Not just the Motherwell, Gretna, Rangers and celtc ones.

Yes it's a sad time but life goes on. Was it not Tommy Burns who said that O'Donnell would of wanted the game to go ahead?

Why do dundee utd's players get to play? will they not be shoken up after what happened on the park?

what a farce this is now we have more uneeded back logged games and fixture congestion, how many times will we be playing 3-4 games week from now on as we are in both domestic cups and the uefa and what effect will it have on our squad and title bid :angry2:

The scum made the request to postpone the game as a mark of respect for O'Donnell ? or for players to return from injury ir suspension ? tails between there legs.

yellow scum bags :angry2:

what reason exactly has been gven by the Scum? If it is merely a mark of respect then that's gash. Would you get a day off work (on a big day) if you were a joiner/polis/doctor/cleaner if a distant mate/colleague died? I think not.

It's your work. If the deceased is not your family then you just get on with it. How many of the Celtic team that would play us actually played with Phil or were close to him?

Agreed.

Phil O'Donnell left Celtic in 1999.

Im not being funny here, but how many friends of his would still be at Celtic Park now ? Not many I would think.

SPL company secretary Iain Blair said: "These are never easy decisions. But we recognise that as a former player, Phil was part of Celtic's extended family." .......... aye, right.

I repeat Im not being disrespectful to the man in any shape or form.

RIP Phil 0'Donnell.

The Seville lad Puerto died, 3 days later Seville played in the European Super Cup. He was a 1st team player.

Agreed.

Im not being funny here, but how many friends of his would still be at Celtic Park now ? Not many I would think.

SPL company secretary Iain Blair said: "These are never easy decisions. But we recognise that as a former player, Phil was part of Celtic's extended family." ...... aye right.

RIP Phil 0'Donnell.

I just think WGS has shit himself,But it is a masterstroke by him getting all his players back,New signings in <_<

Agreed.

SPL company secretary Iain Blair said: "These are never easy decisions. But we recognise that as a former player, Phil was part of Celtic's extended family." .......... aye, right.

RIP Phil 0'Donnell.

scott mcdonald and any other motherwell players they signed.

however I do believe its not for these reasons

The Seville lad Puerto died, 3 days later Seville played in the European Super Cup. He was a 1st team player.

We're too soft! :harhar:

That game was played in HONOUR of Puerto with BOTH teams playing with his name and number on their shirts !! This is what should have happened for O'Donnell, the game should have been played in his honour and NOT postponed.