Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D'Artagnan

What is that strange red hand ?

In my opinion, should Rangers in 20-30 years disassociate themselves from traditions and links mentioned in this thread, I believe the passion for fans will be taken away.

I feel very close to Rangers because of what they represent, imo. (I'm 20 btw, for those discussing age and Unionism). When I cheer on my team it's as though I am cheering on my country because they represent Unionism.

I don't want Rangers to be just another football club. I have no idea why people believe we as a support need to change. In regards to sectarianism, fair enough but why we should drop our history and links to certain things, I do not know.

In my opinion, should Rangers in 20-30 years disassociate themselves from traditions and links mentioned in this thread, I believe the passion for fans will be taken away.

I feel very close to Rangers because of what they represent, imo. (I'm 20 btw, for those discussing age and Unionism). When I cheer on my team it's as though I am cheering on my country because they represent Unionism.

I don't want Rangers to be just another football club. I have no idea why people believe we as a support need to change. In regards to sectarianism, fair enough but why we should drop our history and links to certain things, I do not know.

:lol: Laughed inwardly there as I'm having my lunch.

These are the words of a true Rangers man. Only 20 Eh ? The future is bright, the future is Rangers / Protestant / Scottish/Ulster / British. :sherlock:

Leiper is a catholic though so is talking about one part of said traditions...you ok with that bluedignity?

Leiper is a catholic though so is talking about one part of said traditions...you ok with that bluedignity?

:craphead:

Spot on mate. I'm a few years younger, but feel the same way.

For once and for all would everyone guilty, please stop suggesting that the Red Hand of Ulster is in anyway - Political, or sectarian. Its a dignified and recognised flag / emblem which many men fought so bravely to preserve.

It represents a legitimate section of people who like everyone else in the world just want parity and equal treatment.

It seeks to offend no one just as most other countries flags / emblems and yet so many seek to offend it and all it represents. It is no surprise that there are some out there from a Republican / Irish / Raceltic / Catholic persuation that wish to demonize ulster but it is truelly shameful that there are those fellow uk / british out there who treat this flag and its citizens in such a manner.

The English have the st georges cross, Scotland have the saltire and Wales have the welsh dragon, so N. ireland people are to have no identity? Some are offended?? I think its clear who is doing the offending. Is this not what scottish people and William Wallace blah blah blah all fought for?

It disgusts and angers me.

Perhaps red gloves are the answer if we are to persist with the salute

As when it started :rolleyes:

Those Ulstermen who fought on the Somme would no doubt say, 'what is that strange Red Hand Salute?'.

You're probably right mate. I was born in Ulster and I didn't know about this red hand salute thingy until I joined here!

If you look at my avatar you can see our club crest on a wall mural in Belfast, next to a red hand and a red lion. :pipe:

Its part of our tradition, Ulster and Scotland have always been close culturally, and this will never change. I'm proud to be an Ulster-scot and proud that Rangers are my team. But I have no problem with people who don't share these views supporting my team. A friend of mine who I sometimes go to Ibrox with is an English RC, but is just as passionate and commited to the club as I am.

BTW good post D'art good to see you back fighting the good fight once again. :rangers:

I am now bowing out of this discussion as it is just going round and round but it was fun.

WATP

I am now bowing out of this discussion as it is just going round and round but it was fun.

WATP

Perhaps a tactical retreat is your best ploy.....though I would love to have heard the factual support for your contention that Man U fans flying tricolours is "baggage"

WATP

Perhaps a tactical retreat is your best ploy.....though I would love to have heard the factual support for your contention that Man U fans flying tricolours is "baggage"

It has to be said I thought that might spur a reation - its no retreat just bored with the same old responses - I have said my piece, and choose not to keep repeating the same argument - My argument has been made, some choose to listen, some choose to ignore and some choose to take exception. Some agree, some disagree but as I said - it was fun.

BTW what sort of factual support is there for any of this threads arguments never mind my OPINION. Facts are there are Ulster, british and scottish flags. Fact is we choose to wave them in support of our team. etc. etc.

Opinion (mine) is Rangers dont NEED any association with any extrenal cause other than FOOTBALL. Those who try to tie us to a cause other than the club (IMO) are misguided, it is the FOOTBALL that binds us together not the external causes associated with some fans who support the club. Some fans may disagree, that is there right, but take away the causes and we would still be left with a magnificent team, take away the FOOTBALL and we have nothing.

Well its the fact you continue to make fairly contraversial statements without any evidence whatsoever to back them up...

To be fair - I think the fellow is just stating his opinion - the whole "baggage " thing I think would come across better though if he prefixed it with a "IMO"

Is he an irish catholic or a British/Scottish catholic ? :sherlock:

Think of the baggage Boab, we can't have him supporting the Rangers either :rolleyes:

Why do you ask?

Those Ulstermen who fought on the Somme would no doubt say, 'what is that strange Red Hand Salute?'.

You're probably right mate. I was born in Ulster and I didn't know about this red hand salute thingy until I joined here!

As an Ulsterman there's no reason why you should know of this 'Red Hand Salute'.

To be fair - I think the fellow is just stating his opinion - the whole "baggage " thing I think would come across better though if he prefixed it with a "IMO"

I think you will find nearly all my posts on this topic say IMO (In my Opinion) or IMHO (In my Humble Opinion) or even just state 'My opinion is ..." .

Why do you ask?

Because there is a difference :sherlock:

As an Ulsterman there's no reason why you should know of this 'Red Hand Salute'.

Not really surprising as it was always a gesture of support towards Ulster from Scotland.

Older Ulster bears would no doubt remember it when the red gloves were worn; it was pretty obvious what it meant; but if you've arrived on the scene after the gloves got lost it could mean a number of things.

Why do you ask?

Because there is a difference :sherlock:

So what difference wound it make if Leiper was an Irish catholic?