Official website

Adam

I've just been on Chelsea's website to see about cost of their new orange GK top (have a look in the new kits thread its awesome). It struck me how good their website is in terms of design etc, and how ours lacks, primitive design, sections takign forever to update etc.

If we want to be a success on and off the pitch we should be portraying ourselves as such, shouldn't we? A professional outlook on things, something that will make you want to visit the official site, I don't visit the site because I can get all info and news from here before its been released on the official site usually. I only go on the site to shop!

Do you think we're missing a trick here? Or would it be silly to invest in re launching the official website?

:bouncy: As I live in New Zealand I have to use the official website and join Rangers World in order to see any games! That costs me about 40 pounds a year, plus about 5 pound per game! As far as news etc. goes I don't rate it, but it was useful for purchasing my Rangers tops !! :rangers:

Our official website is terrible for a club with our resources and fan base.

Yes it is and there is no excuse for it. A club like ours should not be using the same generic crap as a club like Scunthorpe.

Our website is one of the most visited in the UK as well.

It's very poor to be honest - looks awful.

Its looked the same for years.

They need some flash going on..instead:

...maybe IBROX appears, you click where you want to go...dressing room for squad info, pitch for games and ticket bookings, etc etc..

and its like a flyby through ibrox.

Would be awesome.

:rangers:

Our website is one of the most visited in the UK as well.

It's very poor to be honest - looks awful.

Its looked the same for years.

They need some flash going on..instead:

...maybe IBROX appears, you click where you want to go...dressing room for squad info, pitch for games and ticket bookings, etc etc..

and its like a flyby through ibrox.

Would be awesome.

Actually, you don't want too much of that. Sure, it'd be nice as an option, of course. But in terms of webdesign, you want to avoid big flashy things that makes the site less focused.

What you need is content, content, content. For example, you want more stats on players, you want more and better news all the time, etc. The Rangers site is pretty good on that, but could always use improvements.

Once you have the content, you want to have an easily accessible design that makes it easy to find what you need. All investigations shows that if a visitor to a website has to bend their head to try to find the information they want, they will choose another source for information the next time they go looking. The Rangers site has a somewhat logical outtake on that, but it really has to be simpler to navigate. The news archive, for example, is simply awful. A drop-down menu on weeks. They could learn from others, even such a site as blogspot makes better solutions for that function as a standard. So, it has to be easier to navigate for sure.

Then, when you have that, you go over the looks and makes it beautiful. Here Rangers can improve a lot. The website looks terribly generic.

I'd also like a fan-art section. "Send us your pictures, your desktop wallpapers" etc would be a cool thing.

The official website isn't that awful. It's just very standard and generic and doesn't wow anybody. It could be the homepage of any hardware store in the world. That's why it needs to be improved. It's not the homepage of any hardware store in the world. It's the home of the famous Rangers football club. The best football club in the world. The website should reflect that.

I agree the website is a joke and not a patch on Chelsea or Arsenals. I've even tried to email them to comment about it but no reply....just shows the lack of prfessionalism we have in some quarters. Need brought up at AGM but its prob not a big enough thing for them to worry about.

I went on the other day to check the injuries section, only to find it hadn't been updated since mid-January. How can a club with a stature such as our be represented with such a poorly maintained website? For International Bears, this website is often the closest they come to the Rangers experience and it really is shocking to neglect them in such a way. It's also very generic, a lot of the clubname.premiumtv.co.uk sites look the same, such as Newcastle, Middlesbrough while Hearts, West Brom and Cardiff City all use a slightly different template. Also jammed full of crap ads that detract from the value of the site in my opinion.

If it is indeed externally controlled and updated, someone should look into the prospects of firing sed controllers and letting someone have a pop that actually cares.

I went on the other day to check the injuries section, only to find it hadn't been updated since mid-January. How can a club with a stature such as our be represented with such a poorly maintained website? For International Bears, this website is often the closest they come to the Rangers experience and it really is shocking to neglect them in such a way. It's also very generic, a lot of the clubname.premiumtv.co.uk sites look the same, such as Newcastle, Middlesbrough while Hearts, West Brom and Cardiff City all use a slightly different template. Also jammed full of crap ads that detract from the value of the site in my opinion.

If it is indeed externally controlled and updated, someone should look into the prospects of firing sed controllers and letting someone have a pop that actually cares.

I will agree with that criticism. Also, the spelling/grammar can be very poor. Lindsay Herron, who writes a lot of it, is in-house, I believe.

:bouncy: As I live in New Zealand I have to use the official website and join Rangers World in order to see any games! That costs me about 40 pounds a year, plus about 5 pound per game! As far as news etc. goes I don't rate it, but it was useful for purchasing my Rangers tops !! :rangers:
Try this site I have been on it for a few years you get all the Rangers games plus elp games and uro games all for the big price of $40 per year . livefootballonline.com.

It works in Canada should work in New Zealand. (tu):rangers:

The current "premiumtv.co.uk" generic-style site is not terrible, but is not really great either.

I feel a redevelopment of the Rangers website should be one of the priorities for the Rangers business management team over the summer. (A lot of this is about communicating the quality/desirability of the Rangers brand/club/ethos.)

In my opinion:

1) We should look to terminate the contract with the current "cookie-cutter" service supplier (nothing personal, we are just looking to take the site to the next level)

AND

2A) We should enter a contract with a bespoke service supplier.

OR

2B) Hire bespoke in-house personell to construct and run developed Rangers website.

The days of the generic "cookie-cutter" Rangers website (supplied/run by what looks like a "mass market" supplier/company) should come to an end.

There are significant revenue opportunities (via subscription services, multimedia sales, match streams, direct online selling, etc) to be gained from a quality website -- Rangers should definately take this seriously.

In terms of influences, Rangers should look seriously at the websites of:

http://www.manutd.com (exceptional)

http://www.realmadrid.com (exceptional)

http://www.fcbarcelona.com (excellent)

http://www.juventus.com

http://www.fcbayern.t-home.de

• 2 weeks later...
Just had a look at the recommended Chelsea and Arsenal sites. At best they're marginally better than ours, especially Chelsea.

There's a big streak of pessimism in our fans.

True. But that one is a no brainer. The greatest club in the world deserves the greatest in all areas. Why should we settle for anything less!

Just had a look at the recommended Chelsea and Arsenal sites. At best they're marginally better than ours, especially Chelsea.

There's a big streak of pessimism in our fans.

I find it pretty good also,my only complaint(albeit a huge one) is that "Rangers Live" Customers are treated like shit,and noone seems to care.

Sad :(

This is one area where European football clubs (its not just Rangers that have a terrible site) would do well to follow American Football sites; the amount of content available on the teams site I support (and the high quality of it) is staggering.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/

Keep in mind this during the slowest part of the NFL season, and look how many features are available- without having to pay I might add.

Gers could definitely improve their site 10 fold.