The Biggest Mistake Ever?

rossf

is David Murrays decsion to sack Walter Smith in 1998 after winning 7 league titiles, 3 scottish cups and 3 league cups in 8 years as manager the biggest mistake ever? I wonder what could have happened if he had stayed?

i remember at the time thinking that it was time for a change aswel but in hindsight think its a bit ridiculus to sack (or as to leave nicely) a manager who had been so succesful and helped us dominate in Scotland for years.

I think it was right to let him go for the 10 in a row, but as has been said it had gone stale. An ageing squad meant a lot of work had to be done and it made sense to bring in fresh ideas along with players.

No, I think it was the right time for him and the club to part ways then.

Would Walter really have had the same spirit and drive that he has today if he had just stayed on? I don't think so. He has come back fresher and more experienced.

I think at that time he had taken us as far as he could. I don't think he would have been able to do much more

I agree.

At the time it happened everything was just right.

It was time for a change and what a change it was... we had some great years under Advocaat.

it was agood decision , we were in free fall under walter at that time , we gifted them the title that year

Freefall? :lol:

Losing on the last day of the season? :lol:

Get your facts right, dope. doh

we where away to utd? and they won 2-0 against st johnston ? but correct me if i'm wrong where they not 2 points in front or something?

it was agood decision , we were in free fall under walter at that time , we gifted them the title that year

we where away to utd? and they won 2-0 against st johnston ? but correct me if i'm wrong where they not 2 points in front or something?

It was the Kilmarnock and Aberdeen games that cost us the league.

Bjorklund fannying about with it at the bye-line and allowing Vareille to score

Also that little tit Steven Glass scoring the winner in a 1-0 at Pittodrie when someone sheep shagger got to the bye-line almost un-touched and cut it back to him.

Remember the league game that season when Negri came off the bench at Parkhead and put us 1-0 up with his first touch and Stubbs scored to level in injury time. 1-1

That game probably cost us aswell, even though It was April, I think?

"Also that little tit Steven Glass scoring the winner in a 1-0 at Pittodrie when someone sheep shagger got to the bye-line almost un-touched and cut it back to him."

Im sure that was a cup game...

It was the Kilmarnock and Aberdeen games that cost us the league.

Bjorklund fannying about with it at the bye-line and allowing Vareille to score

Also that little tit Steven Glass scoring the winner in a 1-0 at Pittodrie when someone sheep shagger got to the bye-line almost un-touched and cut it back to him.

Remember the league game that season when Negri came off the bench at Parkhead and put us 1-0 up with his first touch and Stubbs scored to level in injury time. 1-1

That game probably cost us aswell, even though It was April, I think?

oh aye, sorry i was thinking of another last day decider

"Also that little tit Steven Glass scoring the winner in a 1-0 at Pittodrie when someone sheep shagger got to the bye-line almost un-touched and cut it back to him."

Im sure that was a cup game...

The only cup game round that time would surely have been Scottish Cup? ... we were in the final of that.

I could be wrong though Emerson?

Advocaat was left with..

Niemi

Porinni

Amoruso

Wilson

Stensaas

Vidmar

Moore

McInnes

Gattusso

Nicholson

I.Ferguson

B.Ferguson

Miller

Albertz

Durie

Durie and I.Ferguson left after the first season, Gattusso and B Ferguson were only pups, Nicholson, Moore and Wilson were never regulars and Miller, Vidmar, Stensaas and Niemi were nothing more than squad players when Advocaat took over.

Porinni, Albertz and Amoruso was about it, really.

Laudrup, Goram, McCall, Durrant, Gough, McCoist etc were all gone.

It was just the right time. End of an era - start of another.

Walter himself said that it was the right thing to do at the time. And remember, we'd failed miserably in both European competitions. Murrays decision to freshen things up was undoubtedly the correct one.

Walter himself said that it was the right thing to do at the time. And remember, we'd failed miserably in both European competitions. Murrays decision to freshen things up was undoubtedly the correct one.

Yeah. 3-0 defeat to Gothenburg and then knocked out of UEFA by Strasbourg.