McCulloch - We couldn't celebrate on Saturday

J_RFC87

Rangers midfielder Lee McCulloch admitted that his team couldn’t celebrate in the manner expected of Scottish Cup winners after their victory over Queen of the South.

Scenes of joy were obvious but not to the same degree of euphoria that we would have seen had Rangers won the SPL last week.

After the match McCulloch said: “Coisty said before the game that even if we didn’t win it would arguably have been a great season. But the main thing was winning it and we’ve done that.

"There was some scary moments at the end but I think we were deserved winners.

"We were in the dressing room there and when we won the cup earlier in the season everyone was jumping about and going crazy but it was a little bit subdued today.

"We were delighted to win the cup but it was a little bit subdued, not that we expect to win it easy but just in the dressing room in the end it wasn’t the same as the CIS but everyone is delighted and we’ll have a couple of drinks tonight and enjoy it."

Rangers were left shattered after their gruelling schedule leading up to the final which featured five games in ten days and Jean Claude Darcheville believes it was character that got them through on Saturday.

Darcheville said: “I think after the second goal (for Queens) everybody had a good mentality.

“We have a good character, but you’ve seen it before. We’ve came back in the final against Dundee and today as well.

“It’s difficult when you lost the league and the UEFA Cup because you win the Scottish Cup and the CIS Cup its good but to win the UEFA Cup and the championship there was too many games."

The character within the squad was demonstrated by Kris Boyd who kept spirits up by playing with a moustache on Saturday much to the amusement of McCulloch.

The former Wigan and Motherwell star said: “Everybody was down on Friday and I think Boydy's moustache got a few laughs out the boys.

“It was a bet, so he played in the final with a moustache. It was funny and got all the boys together. It’s a game we play. It was brilliant, like Freddie Mercury. But he was brilliant today he speaks for himself with his header to put us up 3-2 then we’ve hung on till the end."

The game finished with 16-year-old John Fleck coming on and McCulloch was full of praise for the youngster.

"I first played with him in the first game of pre-season and I thought he was going to be a star but he just keeps getting better and better and it’s brilliant to see him coming on, on Thursday night and today and he’ll have a big part to play next season.

"Ability-wise he is one of the best at the club, he’s only just turned 16 so he’s got a big future ahead of him."

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Foo...ed---McCulloch/