Lafferty Shittu Miller

ones we have already heard of nothing new and exciting on the transfer front at all ...dont know the Greek guy but if Bayern and Juve want him we dont have a chance

RANGERS have been warned they'll have to splash the cash if they want to land their primary transfer targets.

Walter Smith has been linked with summer moves for Burnley striker Kyle Lafferty and Watford stopper Danny Shittu.

And the Ibrox boss is also expected to snap up Derby's Kenny Miller - making him the first player in history to cross the Old Firm divide twice.

Burnley manager Owen Coyle has made it clear he'll refuse to listen to any offers under £5million for the 6ft 4in Lafferty.

advertisement

The Northern Ireland striker has also interested Celtic, Fulham and Wolves.

Gordon Strachan offered £3m plus Derek Riordan for Lafferty in January, but that bid was rejected, and Rangers also have failed in a more recent undisclosed offer.

Coyle said: "The bid we turned down from Celtic shows you how highly we value Kyle, but he is worth even more now. He has a fantastic future ahead of him and has everything in his locker to go to the top of his game.

"I've no doubts he is a better player now than he was six months ago. I'm not interested in talking about specific teams placing bids though because it is that time of year again when there is a lot of speculation."

It's the same for Watford's Shittu, who made it into the Championship Team of the Year.

Former Celtic defender Malky Mackay is now a coach at the London club and said: "He's under contract and it would be a big money signing. As far as how much, God knows. Whether the club would want to sell him or not I don't know but everyone has their price."

The 27-year-old Nigerian is a man mountain and Mackay added: "He is learning the game all the time, is powerful and probably ideal for Scottish football."

While both Lafferty and Shittu would be immediately made welcome by the Ibrox fans, the same cannot be said for Scotland internationalist Miller, who is thought to be at an advanced stage in engineering a return to Glasgow from Derby in a £1.6m move.

The player himself has stated: "Obviously we've all heard the speculation and I'm aware of an interest, but this is a long way from being as cut and dried as people are making out."

However, Gers fans' spokesman David Edgar says: "Rangers fans in general would never tell any Rangers manager who to sign and certainly not Walter Smith. But the level of dissent shown by the supporters against a player who hasn't yet signed for us is unprecedented.

"It has nothing to do with him being an ex-Celtic player, they don't like him because he is not good enough."

Rangers have also been linked with Olympiakos defender Vassilis Torosidis, but he has been mentioned in connection with Bayern Munich and Juventus.

Publication date 27/05/08

I watched lafferty in burnleys important match earlier in the season, think it was in a cup and he was garbage, i dont think he is 1- good enough to play in the demands of the old firm and 2- worth over £4Million. His goalscoring record is nothing special