Misguided Ambition

Ace

After reading through the Transfer Talk & from previous posts on the board i feel that the majority on here have a complete misguided view of who we can actually buy & for how much !!

Every person we are linked with from Kyle Lafferty to Luke Moore to Kenny Miller to Steven Davis ... even to the re-signing of Christian Dailly has been completely & utterly berated & slaughtered as not being good enough for Rangers.

I wonder, who exactly is GOOD enough for us, because so far there has not been ONE player linked to us who has received positive remarks (from the majority of board memebrs).

Also, we seem to automatically position a players suitability to his transfer fee. To me a team is made of a solid cohesive unit, not a collection of disperate high value players who can't work as a unit.

I look at the England squad, who have at their disposal some of the most talented players in the world but yet i have forever thought that players are picked for England on reputation rather than on where they fit into the system/unit ... i don't wan't that at Ibrox.

I think that Walter, as manager, deserves our trust and support in hwomever he signs, remember his "duff" signings got us to 2 domestic cup finals (wnning both) 1 Uefa final (losing unluckily) & a last day league decider against opponents who has played 17 games less than us.

In Walter i trust .... prove your support & trust him also.

*edit* I would add that we are also way down the league of financial giants in the footballing world, it is a harsh reality that we are unable to compete with Championship teams when it comes to transfer funds ... this is the SPL where league winners get £2m for winning -vs- EPL winners who get £50m. *edit*

After reading through the Transfer Talk & from previous posts on the board i feel that the majority on here have a complete misguided view of who we can actually buy & for how much !!

Every person we are linked with from Kyle Lafferty to Luke Moore to Kenny Miller to Steven Davis ... even to the re-signing of Christian Dailly has been completely & utterly berated & slaughtered as not being good enough for Rangers.

I wonder, who exactly is GOOD enough for us, because so far there has not been ONE player linked to us who has received positive remarks (from the majority of board memebrs).

Also, we seem to automatically position a players suitability to his transfer fee. To me a team is made of a solid cohesive unit, not a collection of disperate high value players who can't work as a unit.

I look at the England squad, who have at their disposal some of the most talented players in the world but yet i have forever thought that players are picked for England on reputation rather than on where they fit into the system/unit ... i don't wan't that at Ibrox.

I think that Walter, as manager, deserves our trust and support in hwomever he signs, remember his "duff" signings got us to 2 domestic cup finals (wnning both) 1 Uefa final (losing unluckily) & a last day league decider against opponents who has played 17 games less than us.

*edit* I would add that we are also way down the league of financial giants in the footballing world, it is a harsh reality that we are unable to compete with Championship teams when it comes to transfer funds ... this is the SPL where league winners get £2m for winning -vs- EPL winners who get £50m. *edit*

his signings also tossed away the title 7 clear and 2 games in hand.

Did i not mention the 17 EXTRA games ... it happened to Celtic during their run, even McLeish admitted that they (Celtic) would've won the league if it wasn't for that. I would rather have gotten to all the finals and lost than not got there at all.

Or they acquired a 7 point lead with 2 games in hand in the first place.

You spin it your way...

You spin it your way...

okay then, would you expect any rangers team to throw away that sort of lead, also its the biggest ever surrender of a title by any rangers team.

Exactly, those were the same players who got us into a strong position for winning the league in the first place, and to the finals of 3 competitions. It's all ifs and buts now but it can be argued that if the SPL would have agreed to a suitable extension to let the players rest properly we could have won the league.

You spin it your way...

okay then, would you expect any rangers team to throw away that sort of lead, also its the biggest ever surrender of a title by any rangers team.

Again i ask ... would you rather have had the experince of getting the final of 3 trophies & a last day decider or what happened in recent years with no trophies & the league decided by X-Mas?

I celebrate the good points & hope to build on this for next season.

However, the original post was regarding fans stunningly high expectations of signings in both quality & cost compared with our position in UK & European footballing hierarchy.

You spin it your way...

Again i ask ... would you rather have had the experince of getting the final of 3 trophies & a last day decider or what happened in recent years with no trophies & the league decided by X-Mas?

However, the original post was regarding fans stunningly high expectations of signings in both quality & cost compared with our position in UK & European footballing hierarchy.

as long as your happy thats all that matters, good on you but to me 4 titles in 11 years is not good enough in a two horse race.

I'm never happy about losing the league but 4 from 11 is not Walters fault, he has only been hear 18 months & to turn around the club in that space of time is remarkable ... even you must agree Minstral.

I'm never happy about losing the league but 4 from 11 is not Walters fault, he has only been hear 18 months & to turn around the club in that space of time is remarkable ... even you must agree Minstral.

The turn around has been fantastic, but when someone pointed out 4 from 11 i realised how bad that was :lol: thats less than half, Timmy wont get anymore for a while, WE HAVE TO get back on track.

NIAR again please walter! (tu)

For what it's worth, my take on it is that it is more the 'type' of player rather than 'who' the player is (Miller apart, where it may be both) Now I don't profess to know a lot about Lafferty, but from what I've heard on here he is a big lad, now I may be wrong and we may play a slick passing entertaining game with him in the team, however my gut reaction is that the long outball to the likes of him and McCulloch will be far too easy a decision for our CB's and FB's to make rather than play it through the MF to wide men who will take people on.

I, and many many other Bears wish to be entertained when we watch our team, but with the big carthorse type players in the team it will be a long time before we see that. Adding in the likes of Miller who Walter deployed as a sole front man when in charge of Scotland, on top of what I have just stated in my previous paragraph, is it any wonder that we are already beginning to dread what may happen in the transfer window and on to next season?

The type of player I wish to see at Rangers should have high abilities of technique, pace pace and more pace, the ability to spot they are not in a position to receive the ball so they move into space, and the ability to get us all off our flabby arses with the ability to go past their man. That is why I promoted my idea in another thread about our need to scour the North European market (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia) for players, they are reasonably priced with talents I mentioned in abundance, and the option of selling them on for a decent price to the EPL to the player as a sweetner to get him signed.

Are my wishes unreasonable? I would say not, many other teams take advantage of this notion and use it to their advantage. I'm not saying overload our team with foreigners, far from it, rather we got rid of the big, muscly, cumbersome players and added finesse to our game, as was mentioned by Walter earlier in the year when questioned about where he wanted the team to progress. (Stability first, then quality if you need remembering)

Good post Ace.

It was the exact same at this time last year. We signed Gow, Broadfoot, McCulloch and JCD early on and everybody was all doom and gloom but we ended up with Cuellar, Cousin, Naismith and Beasley later on in the window.

Players are getting ready for a summer of international commitments and some will want to get through that before they sort out tehir club future.

The fact is the season has been over for less than a week and if people think that all the players we have been linked with so far will actually be the ones that start the season for us come August then they need a good bloody shake.

I am not getting excited about any names thrown about just now until its confirmed by rangers or sky sports news!!

all these othere players some yes some no its all speculation and there will be allot more to follow!

You spin it your way...

as long as your happy thats all that matters, good on you but to me 4 titles in 11 years is not good enough in a two horse race.

Hey Minstral my man, I have to disagree with you on that one. For me, last season was the biggest surrender! Maybe it was a french thing, but, we werent even in the battle to begin with, we surrendered on the first day!! For that alone, its the most embarrassed I have ever been

4 in 11 is not good enough, but, prior to this season, was it not zero trophies in 3? Far worse mate dont you think?

*Bump*

In light of recent posts, i think i will bring my topic to the fore again.

Forgot to reply to you! good post mate.

I figured out on another thread that, the only players we would be happy with, are players aged around 25/26 that are regular first teamers in the the top 6 teams in England, Italy, Spain & Germany :craphead:

*Bump*

I figured out on another thread that, the only players we would be happy with, are players aged around 25/26 that are regular first teamers in the the top 6 teams in England, Italy, Spain & Germany :craphead:

I agree and that is what really bothers me, as a fan i can completely understand that we would love to sign top rated players but as a realist i know that it will never happen 1) because we can't afford the wage structure 2) because they would want to come and play in Scotland.

Due to points 1 & 2 there are limits to the quality of player we sign .... i just wish other fans could see that.

*Bump*

I agree and that is what really bothers me, as a fan i can completely understand that we would love to sign top rated players but as a realist i know that it will never happen 1) because we can't afford the wage structure 2) because they would want to come and play in Scotland.

Due to points 1 & 2 there are limits to the quality of player we sign .... i just wish other fans could see that.

Indeed, what I find most annoying, is that many are ignoring the actual good players we have been linked to, and focusing on the ones that arent as flashy or not up to it (possibly).

Where are all the discussions and posts regarding Palladino, Berthod, Calve, Greening, Klasnic, Sonko etc?

Nope, dead as a post those ones, however, focus on misser and reynolds (who I dont think is a bad signing if it happens personally) and constant harping on as if they are the only people we have been linked with!

*Bump*

Indeed, what I find most annoying, is that many are ignoring the actual good players we have been linked to, and focusing on the ones that arent as flashy or not up to it (possibly).

Where are all the discussions and posts regarding Palladino, Berthod, Calve, Greening, Klasnic, Sonko etc?

Nope, dead as a post those ones, however, focus on misser and reynolds (who I dont think is a bad signing if it happens personally) and constant harping on as if they are the only people we have been linked with!

This is a terrible post. One of the worst I have read.

If you continue to make sense like this how on earth can you expect the moaners to moan??

I'm sorry but it's just not on.