RST: Rangers Could Boycott National Team

The Rangers Supporters Trust will discuss the suggestion from members when they mull over a protest against the club's fixture problems during their quadruple challenge.

The controversy comes after George Burley lost more than a full team of players before last month's 3-1 friendly defeat against the Czech Republic.

There were no Rangers players in Prague after Kevin Thomson, Steven Whittaker and Kris Boyd pulled out.

Burley's first game in charge, a friendly draw against Croatia, was also hit by call-offs but Smith feels the manager will get full support for Scotland's World Cup qualifiers, which kick off in Macedonia in September.

And he dismissed the proposed protest against the SFA as a case of mistaken identity after the Scottish Premier League refused to postpone Rangers' clash against Dundee United four days before their UEFA Cup final defeat by Zenit St Petersburg.

"I don't see what the national team has to do with any grievance they have got regarding the Scottish football authorities," Smith said.

"I can't think for a second that Rangers would take that on board.

"There was nothing we could really do, it was all down to fixtures. I don't see how we could have had any effect at all on the decision that was made."

Rangers Supporters Trust spokesman David Edgar said: "Suggestions from members of the trust already include withdrawing Rangers players from Scotland international duty, questioning Rangers' participation in cup competition if still in Europe, and refusing away ticket allocations from certain clubs - Dundee United, in particular.

"No decision has been made, but we will consider all suggestions at our next board meeting and deliver our recommendation to Rangers."

While Burley will not lose any sleep over the threat, he is likely to be concerned about the lack of preparation time with several key players.

Burley has just one more friendly, against Northern Ireland, before the double header against Macedonia and Iceland, but Smith is sure he will not be put off track.

"George is a very positive person and I don't think he sees any problem going forward," Smith added.

"Time will tell when the competitive games come around exactly what support George has got. But I think the support is there.

"We know for a fact that everything was genuine in the Croatia game in terms of the injuries.

"The last one at the end of the season was obviously a situation where there had been so many injuries in games.

"We just need to put the last couple of meetings behind us and I'm certain going forward we will have the support of all the clubs in terms of what the national team is trying to achieve."

Burley handed debuts in Prague to Motherwell strikers Ross McCormack and David Clarkson, who netted the only goal, and Hearts defender Christophe Berra.

And Smith was glad they did not have their introduction to international football in a more high-profile fixture.

"We were quite fortunate in a way, we actually turned down England on the basis that Celtic and Rangers were both going on tour," Smith said.

"They both indicated to us that their players would not be available so we knocked back a game against England at Wembley, then neither team went on tour.

"We took on the Czech Republic and because of the call-offs I'm quite pleased we didn't have the England game, because it would have been awkward to play England with an under-strength team."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would everyone please remember that this is only what has been suggested to the RST.

It's not their stance, but they have to take all suggestions from members seriously.

Why penalise the National Squad and the SFA for something the SPL afflicted us with?

Did the SFA (Smith) not come out in defence of Rangers and said that they were willing to move the Scottish Cup Final to help us?

As far as I remember the SFA done everything they could to try and help our fixture backlog by offering to move the Scottish Cup final date. Why on earth would you want to boycott the Scottish National team which is in the main the responsibility of the SFA??? Our beef was with the SPL....a totally different organisation!

As a Trust member i will not be supporting any of these proposed protests. All of them are silly in their own way and will only hinder our own reputation and success.

1) The call for Rangers players to be withdrawn from the National team is not only terrible for the club's reputation but also is a flawed idea. The grievance w have is with the SPL not the SFA, who are in charge of the National team. Also, why rob our own players of the chance to play for their country? And why put our country at a disadvantage by denying it some of the best players? Celtic will also get an upper hand when it comes to signing promising young Scottish players seeing as they can promise them International football if they merit it. A nonsensical suggestion.

2)Pulling out of cup competitions is just as damaging to our club. We are giving up the chance to win trebles and doubles just so that there is a slim hope of progressing in Europe, a good team should be able to cope with both European runs and Cup competitions. It also gives Celtic a far easier time of racking up trophies, something that isn't exactly beneficial to Rangers. And lastly the cup competitions have nothing to do with the SPL and therefore again, a flawed suggestion.

3) By far the most popular option is the boycotting of away games. While this will undoubtedly hit the lesser teams hard in terms of income and reinforce the fact that Rangers are the lifeblood of Scottish football it puts our own team at a major disadvantage. Not having any support at these games will very much put Rangers at a disadvantage in the title race. Add that to the fact that i want to be able to go and support my team wherever they go.

None of these suggestions are going to help our club and, as has been shown, will almost certainly hurt the club and supporters. Putting our club at a disadvantage in trophy hunts, denying players the chance to play for their country and giving our enemies the chance to run our clubs reputation right into the ground are all reasons why non of these measures should be considered.

What must instead be done is to pile pressure on Murray and Bain to fight our corner in the corridors of power rather than constantly staying silent and accepting any and every decision. Afterall it is the job of the club to make sure the team and fans are treated fairly by the governing body not the supporters. We are there to do just that, support. If we want fairness and objectivity from the SPL then we must pressure the club into fighting for this.

the sfa would not allows us to play early replays against partick and hibs.

Unsure about Partick but iirc Hibs declined the early option as they would be missing some players on international duty or whatever.

On the point of replays, we should never have required them in the first place especially against Partick so that is our own fault.

in fact: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...ups/7225973.stm

about halfway down confirms what I wrote.

I can gaurantee that nore of these daft suggestions will take place.

Boycotting Dundee Utd away could.

possibly...I agree that is the only one that possibly might happen, but I doubt it to be honest.....but there is a slight chance.

Why would Celtic boycott Dundee Hibernian?

Not a chance. Supporters like me who love nothing better than going to watch Rangers away from home will not stay away. If there was a proposed boycott by the RST i would not hold back in voicing my dissapointment. See my last post for the other reasons why it is a ridiculous suggestion, just like the others.

If the Trust are naive enough to recommend this to Rangers it won't make a jot of difference. Do you really believe that Murray will listen to the RST and refuse to take tickets for Tannadice? Especially after all the recent resignations and turmoil inside the Trust itself. As i said, not a chance.

Not a chance. Supporters like me who love nothing better than going to watch Rangers away from home will not stay away. If there was a proposed boycott by the RST i would not hold back in voicing my dissapointment. See my last post for the other reasons why it is a ridiculous suggestion, just like the others.

If the Trust are naive enough to recommend this to Rangers it won't make a jot of difference. Do you really believe that Murray will listen to the RST and refuse to take tickets for Tannadice? Especially after all the recent resignations and turmoil inside the Trust itself. As i said, not a chance.

Post #11

Bain himself said it was a possibility

Post #11

Bain himself said it was a possibility

Didn't hear about this. Which of them did he say were a possibility? I sincerely hope that Rangers are not considering anything of the sort. It would just be an absolute disaster. Especially given the obvious flaws in each if the proposed measures. It's the club's own fault in the first place.

If they had fought our corner and been more vocal then the SPL woud have though twice about treating us like filth.

Didn't hear about this. Which of them did he say were a possibility? I sincerely hope that Rangers are not considering anything of the sort. It would just be an absolute disaster. Especially given the obvious flaws in each if the proposed measures. It's the club's own fault in the first place.

If they had fought our corner and been more vocal then the SPL woud have though twice about treating us like filth.

Dundee Hibernian I believe, that was suggested by the RST, Bain suggested a selcted club

Hitting one of those clubs in the pocket (especially the one so readily to align themselves behind Celtics cause) is a good idea in my opinion.

It would send out a clear message. The fixture backlog was one issue where I believe Rangers conducted themselves well.

Merely publishing an "intent to discuss" on these proposals shows a complete lack of understanding. And it makes Rangers look incredibly childish by association.

Fans organization intend to discuss proposals. That should be welcomed.

Why don't you wait until they have had the chance to discuss it before throwing insults about?

Dundee Hibernian I believe, that was suggested by the RST, Bain suggested a selcted club

Hitting one of those clubs in the pocket (especially the one so readily to align themselves behind Celtics cause) is a good idea in my opinion.

It would send out a clear message. The fixture backlog was one issue where I believe Rangers conducted themselves well.

Yes it would send out a message reminding everyone who is Scottish football's top dogs but it would also put the team at a disadvantge by having to travel to an already tough away ground without the vocal support of the Rangers fans. Remember, we are angry about the fact that the SPL hindered our chances at success last season, we would be doing the same thing next season by boycotting Tannadice. Pathetic.

Yes, the club conducted themselves well during the whole fixture farce but it is due to their inactions of the past that the SPL did not feel even remotely threatened into helping us out.

Guest Andypendek

I can see a situation where a good few Rangers players retire a bit early from the international scene, on the grounds that it just isn't worth it anymore. If they pull out injured they are called liars; if they do play, it is always - ALWAYS - their fault if the result is not a Scotland win. I for one am totally sick of Ferguson being berated by arseholes who don't know one end of a pitch from another, and usually being supported by the media in their ridiculous claims. No Rangers player is ever good enough to play, while other, mediocre players (like Hartley, eg) are given a free wide and their trespasses forgiven. Fuck it, if they all hate us so much, let them get on with it themselves. And I speak as a Scotland fanatic, but there's only so much anyone is willing to take.

So while the other ideas seem a bit pie in the sky, for reasons other than last season's debacle, I can see suggestion no#1 coming true, in some ways.

I'd love it if our players never played for Scotland.

What will happen with this stupid Scotland friendly inbetween our Champions League qualifiers?

Merely publishing an "intent to discuss" on these proposals shows a complete lack of understanding. And it makes Rangers look incredibly childish by association.

Fans organization intend to discuss proposals. That should be welcomed.

Why don't you wait until they have had the chance to discuss it before throwing insults about?

Who did I insult? <cr>

They can discuss anything they want to discuss, but they don't have to publish that intent so the whole world can see how childish a section of our support is.

Let RST members boycott any game they want to. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority don't want to and won't, but if there's some who wish to harm our club this way then they'd be better staying at home.