RST: Rangers Could Boycott National Team

Merely publishing an "intent to discuss" on these proposals shows a complete lack of understanding. And it makes Rangers look incredibly childish by association.

Fans organization intend to discuss proposals. That should be welcomed.

Why don't you wait until they have had the chance to discuss it before throwing insults about?

Who did I insult? <cr>

They can discuss anything they want to discuss, but they don't have to publish that intent so the whole world can see how childish a section of our support is.

Let RST members boycott any game they want to. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority don't want to and won't, but if there's some who wish to harm our club this way then they'd be better staying at home.

Saying anythin is childish is insulting.

You go if you want. Even if the RST do propose a boycott many of their members will do so too.

But talking about their options should be encouraged

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dundee United's average attandance last season was 8530. If you take out the Rangers games their average was 8355 for the season.

When we played them twice at Tannadice the attendances were 11,214 and 12,129, so by boycotting the game Dundee united will lose almost nothing in terms of finances.

They would lose about £75000 - £85000 which will not help Rangers at all and will not seriously damage Dundee United. Instead it may cost us 3 points as we would be going to a tough away game with absolutely no support, so the whole thing would simply be self defeating and completely pointless.

the sfa would not allows us to play early replays against partick and hibs.

Unsure about Partick but iirc Hibs declined the early option as they would be missing some players on international duty or whatever.

On the point of replays, we should never have required them in the first place especially against Partick so that is our own fault.

in fact: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...ups/7225973.stm

about halfway down confirms what I wrote.

It was reported that there were police objections to playing the Thistle replay earlier (not enough notice).

Merely publishing an "intent to discuss" on these proposals shows a complete lack of understanding. And it makes Rangers look incredibly childish by association.

Why don't you wait until they have had the chance to discuss it before throwing insults about?

Who did I insult? <cr>

They can discuss anything they want to discuss, but they don't have to publish that intent so the whole world can see how childish a section of our support is.

Let RST members boycott any game they want to. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority don't want to and won't, but if there's some who wish to harm our club this way then they'd be better staying at home.

You go if you want. Even if the RST do propose a boycott many of their members will do so too.

If I've insulted anyone I do apologise. But if you think that's an insult you must have led a very sheltered life! :rolleyes:

If I'd called some of the decision-makers in the RST "self-important knobjockeys" that would be an insult. But of course I'd never do that.

Who did I insult? <cr>

If I've insulted anyone I do apologise. But if you think that's an insult you must have led a very sheltered life! :rolleyes:

If I'd called some of the decision-makers in the RST "self-important knobjockeys" that would be an insult. But of course I'd never do that.

I have :lol:

I tried to point out from the outset that nothing was concrete only what was being discussed.

If you aren't a member I don't see what you have to moan about.

Christian Daily was in the squad and came on as a sub for Scotland, then was at fault for 2 goals. :lol:

Hibs rejected to move the Cup replay and the SFA has nothing to do with the SPL, boycotting the national team is an idiotic suggestion regardless if they are merely discussing it or not.

Who did I insult? <cr>

I tried to point out from the outset that nothing was concrete only what was being discussed.

I do see the point you're making Jim. (tu)

What sticks in my craw is the way it will be portrayed by people outside Rangers and the Rangers support. Some people see "Rangers Supporters Trust" and only see "Rangers" or "Rangers Supporters". So the entire Rangers organisation, including the support, can and will be labelled as childish. It looks like we've spat the dummy because we lost the league!

I'll be at Tannadice next season, and I hope you will be too. :)

Dundee United's average attandance last season was 8530. If you take out the Rangers games their average was 8355 for the season.

When we played them twice at Tannadice the attendances were 11,214 and 12,129, so by boycotting the game Dundee united will lose almost nothing in terms of finances.

They would lose about £75000 - £85000 .... will not seriously damage Dundee United. Instead it may cost us 3 points as we would be going to a tough away game with absolutely no support, so the whole thing would simply be self defeating and completely pointless.

Remind me, how much of a loss were they complaining about when the felt they had been cheated at Ibrox?

They would lose about £75000 - £85000 .... will not seriously damage Dundee United. Instead it may cost us 3 points as we would be going to a tough away game with absolutely no support, so the whole thing would simply be self defeating and completely pointless.

Remind me, how much of a loss were they complaining about when the felt they had been cheated at Ibrox?

That's irrelevant...i'm not saying Dundee United are correct not do I support what they said....my point is that by boycotting the game, all Rangers would achieve is putting our league position in jeopardy as we will find it harder to obtain 3 points. Yes, dundee United may lose £80000.....but what good will that do Rangers? To be honest, and no doubt i'll be accused of being a tim for saying this...but some our fans need to wisen up a bit and think things through a bit more clearly. We may all hate people like Peter Lawwell, but himself and his cronies are far far smarter when it comes to thinking things through for the best of their club.

That's irrelevant...i'm not saying Dundee United are correct not do I support what they said....my point is that by boycotting the game, all Rangers would achieve is putting our league position in jeopardy as we will find it harder to obtain 3 points. Yes, dundee United may lose £80000.....but what good will that do Rangers? To be honest, and no doubt i'll be accused of being a tim for saying this...but some our fans need to wisen up a bit and think things through a bit more clearly. We may all hate people like Peter Lawwell, but himself and his cronies are far far smarter when it comes to thinking things through for the best of their club.

OK Einstein.

You reckon it's irrelevant.

But humour me, how much were they talking about?

OK Einstein.

You have missed my point...I can't remember what Dundee United said...they were obviously going to say any loss of money was a huge deal to them as they were pissed off at the time. My point is that a boycott would achieve nothing for Rangers other than risk losing some league points. It wouldn't matter if the boycott cost Dundee United £10, £1000 or £100000.....the fact remains that Rangers would suffer. I don't care how much money Dundee United would lose as that is not going to do anything at all to help Rangers win a league game at Tannadice. It's a strange mentality if a Rangers fan is willing to risk league points just so that Dundee United lose £80000???

I feel the RST is just becoming a media joke.

Why are they calling for Rangers to boycott the national team, can someone explain what part the SFA had in the fixtures debacle, as far as i am aware, the SFA had nothing to do with re-arranging SPL matches.

The SFA only has control over 2 things, that is Scottish cup games & the Natioanl team, they could not effect any decisions that the SPL made, other than offer to switch the cup final date ... which they did i hasten to add but the SPL decidied that wasn't what they wanted.

Being a Rangers & Scotland supporter also, i find it embarrasing that the RST decide to aim thier angst at an organisation that could do nothing to influence the SPL decison making.

Must admit I think this interview doesn't really concur with the event time-line I'm aware of...

I understand what the Trust are attempting to do here but in this case I think they have misjudged the situation while wanting to be controversial for controversy's sake.

It's all very well calling for certain action but unless they have genuine evidence of having support for such action either from the club and/or a large number of fans then I think the Trust could isolate themselves from mainstream opinion.

We're all annoyed at the actions of the SPL last season - as well as certain other clubs - but any organised opposition to what happened should be done privately until such a time the called for actions are possible.

God this 'threat' and talk about it in the papers really annoys me.

1. Its stupid

2. Even if it is only a 'motion' it will be reported as 'Rangers fans dont want to support National team / Scottish cup - where as its a few idiots putting this unrealistic motion forward.

3. Its the wrong target - SFA has its problems but it was the SPL who made the arse of it.

OK Einstein.

It was £125,000 iirc.

Who did I insult? <cr>

I'm a member, and while I'm not going to complain about this statement, I do have some similar reservations to Wreckedroy about the wisdom of it. I have been involved in many organisations, committees and the like, and you do not release statements to the press about something which "some" of your members propose. If the membership as a whole want to propose something like this, THAT is the time to release statements.

As has been said many times, the SFA were not the problem, the SPL were. It makes the RST look a bit daft, to be honest. The replays against Hibs and Partick were not refused by the SFA, Hibs refused their one, and the Partick game was impossible to organise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did we not draw with them on the Sunday (maybe Saturday) and want to replay them on the Wednesday night? How would tickets have been sorted out? Stewarding, policing? It would have been a logistical impossibility. I'm not sure who turned it down, but whoever did made the right decision imo.

So, we punish the SFA because the SPL have wronged us? I know, it's not official Trust policy, but releasing a statement to the press makes it seem like it is. Certainly the people who are running the Trust must have sanctioned this statement (does anyone knwo who is running the Trust at the moment?)

It's slightly worrying times for Trust members.

OK Einstein.

You have missed my point...I can't remember what Dundee United said...they were obviously going to say any loss of money was a huge deal to them as they were pissed off at the time. My point is that a boycott would achieve nothing for Rangers other than risk losing some league points. It wouldn't matter if the boycott cost Dundee United £10, £1000 or £100000.....the fact remains that Rangers would suffer. I don't care how much money Dundee United would lose as that is not going to do anything at all to help Rangers win a league game at Tannadice. It's a strange mentality if a Rangers fan is willing to risk league points just so that Dundee United lose £80000???

No no, i didn't miss your point.

I just asked a question.

A question you obiously can't or won't answer.

I do wonder why?

I feel the RST is just becoming a media joke.

Why are they calling for Rangers to boycott the national team, can someone explain what part the SFA had in the fixtures debacle, as far as i am aware, the SFA had nothing to do with re-arranging SPL matches.

The SFA only has control over 2 things, that is Scottish cup games & the Natioanl team, they could not effect any decisions that the SPL made, other than offer to switch the cup final date ... which they did i hasten to add but the SPL decidied that wasn't what they wanted.

Being a Rangers & Scotland supporter also, i find it embarrasing that the RST decide to aim thier angst at an organisation that could do nothing to influence the SPL decison making.

(tu)

I don't agree with the 1st two points either. Saying that we should withdraw players from international duty isn't our decision to make weather that be the RST, the support in general or the club. That should be up to the individual players in my opinion.

Withdrawing from the Scottish cup is something I wouldn't like to see either. It's something I want Rangers to win. I can see why it may be considered but it would be punishing the SFA who in all honesty aren't the organization we should be pointing the finger at.

Boycotting Tannadice is something I'd fully support. But it has to be done in a proper manner. I said previously that the RST should have consulted the RSA to see if it is a viable option before suggesting it.

Perhaps it was slightly foolish to make it public, but the RST haven't came out and stated anything other than their members aren't happy and some of them have proposed the above as a form of protest on the way we have been treated during 2007/2008.

I get the point that this is only being discussed but why go public with it at this stage?

Makes the RST look very very stupid in my opinion. They should have waited until this was voted on before commenting to the press.

I'm an OZ bear and some months ago was actually thinking of joining the RST to lend my support, however their recent opinions of Kenny Miller signing should have never been made as a manager needs to be allowed to make his decsions without fan involvement.

And these latest opinions that appeared in the Sunday Post has made me think again. I'll leave it for now until I see who takes over the reigns.

Is it just me or is David Edgar becoming like a moaning minnie on anything and everything?

None of these 'recommendations' should be taken seriously. The fact that the RST is.. well... draw your own conclusions.

Let's move on to 2008/2009 and the only avenue as stated earlier, is to ensure SDM/Bain and the PR fight our corner. That makes more sense than pulling players out of the Scotland side. ffs... That will never, ever happen and even if it was being discussed, I would be disgusted.