'Glory Hunters' - alive at Rangers?

mohammed87

Been on a couple of other forums where people have brought up the subject of 'Glory Hunters' and how its criminal how people support clubs from outside their towns/cities even when they have their own club (could be due to success or not)

Got me thinking, obviously there must be fans out there who follow Rangers even though they come from places where they have their own footie team. What do you guys make of this? Is it acceptable or just a thing we have to accept will always happen.

Obviously people may have their own story, for example, they currently live in Kilmarnock but moved there only a couple of years ago or the persons dad brought them up as a fan of a certain team.

(I have noticed people on here from Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dumfries, Kirkaldy etc etc)

I just think the whole state of Scottish football in general would be in better shape if glory hunting was kept to a minimum,

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends.

I'm sure that, for example people from smaller towns in Scotland, support Rangers because they were brought up that way or the just like a big club.

It's kind of normal for that to happen.

However, it's something entirely different in, for example, London.

You got several big succesful clubs there, yet some of them choose ManUre.

When I went to Ibrox in the early 80's some crowds were below 10000 and I think the average was about 18000-20000 one season. When Souness arrived and the trophies came in that jumped to 40000+ so make of that what you will!

When I went to Ibrox in the early 80's some crowds were below 10000 and I think the average was about 18000-20000 one season. When Souness arrived and the trophies came in that jumped to 40000+ so make of that what you will!

Same with Napoli in Italy.

Napoli, although not that succesful, have always drawn huge numbers of up to 70.000.

However, when they played in the Serie C that dropped to 10.000 - 30.000.

The thing is: This was not because they played in the Serie C, but because Neapolitans are fiercely proud, they feel unworthy to show up for games against shitty clubs (in their eyes).

I don't care for glory hunters, it means the club is doing great.

It's when glory hunters get chosen before faithful fans for tickets, then I get pissed.

Same with Napoli in Italy.

Napoli, although not that succesful, have always drawn huge numbers of up to 70.000.

However, when they played in the Serie C that dropped to 10.000 - 30.000.

The thing is: This was not because they played in the Serie C, but because Neapolitans are fiercely proud, they feel unworthy to show up for games against shitty clubs (in their eyes).

I don't care for glory hunters, it means the club is doing great.

It's when glory hunters get chosen before faithful fans for tickets, then I get pissed.

Yup, the more glory hunters the better to be honest as it means more money and better players. Most clubs have them....although Man United for example averaged over 40000 when they were relegated to the old division 2 and I remember Man City getting 35000 averages when they were in the 3rd division.

I support a team that my family north of the border support even though I am from Manchester! I want to support a team that means something to me! My family down england dont go to the football or out, so I look north of the boarder to my team, noone has passed a team down to me, except when my great grandad and grandad said when I asked about Celtic when they were in the paper I must of been about 4 or 5 my great grandad looks at me and says "No sonny we're RANGERS!!!" - thats what it means to me mate, im not a glory hunter, my local team were in the league 2 playoff final at wembley and i got offered free tickets and free lifts down and it was the weekend of the scottish cup final and I said if i had the money id be up at hampden, so stayed in and watched it on bbc scotland - im not a glory hunter and just cos someones not from glasgow doesnt mean they are any less passionate or searching for glory, i mean if i wanted glory id support man united - i dont, Im fiercely proud to support the gers!!

yeah i was born in aberdeen, but i grew up in Norway, moved back to aberdeen when i was 9.

my dad brought me up to beleive that rangers are the best club in the world, so i chose to support them rather thaan the sheep.

wasn't exactly an easy choice, i was the only bear in my year at school so took a fair amount of abuse over it :mad:

My grandfather was born in Glasgow and was a bear from an early age. All my family since have been 'born Rangers fans'. Its just the way it is and my own grandchildren are the same. Not to have Rangers in our lives is just unthinkable. I have lived in England at one point and only missed one home game in five years.I now live in Fife but it wouldn't matter where I was living,Rangers would come first in terms of football.

Rangers till I die !!!!

Fuck off mohammed.

Talk about a hard fuckin neck.

:unionflag:

I travelled to watch Rangers, every week, in the pre-Souness days. Is that glory-hunting?

Fuckin cheeky cunt. Why dont you go home?

Well. Here is my view on it.

I think some one can only be classed as a 'glory hunter' if they support Rangers and in there town they have a BIG team, Ie, Liverpool, Utd, City etc.

However, I think that my case is a good example to show that I am not a glory hunter.

I live in Droylsden, we of course have our own team, but we are a conference North team, After being Relegated from the conference last season. Of Course in Manchester we do have Utd And City, but I refuse to 'support' them, I only look out for the Utd scores, (I haven't even been to a Utd Game :P )

I think some one can be called a Glory hunter if they already support a big team, ie Premiership down to league 1. But if some one like me has a very small and virtually unknown team like Droylsden and a big team like Rangers, then I think it is fine.

But Mohammed, that is bang out of order, any one can support who they want. And I don't think its fair to see them branded as a 'glory Hunter'

Been on a couple of other forums where people have brought up the subject of 'Glory Hunters' and how its criminal how people support clubs from outside their towns/cities even when they have their own club (could be due to success or not)

Got me thinking, obviously there must be fans out there who follow Rangers even though they come from places where they have their own footie team. What do you guys make of this? Is it acceptable or just a thing we have to accept will always happen.

Obviously people may have their own story, for example, they currently live in Kilmarnock but moved there only a couple of years ago or the persons dad brought them up as a fan of a certain team.

(I have noticed people on here from Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dumfries, Kirkaldy etc etc)

I just think the whole state of Scottish football in general would be in better shape if glory hunting was kept to a minimum,

Whits your story jackanory ? This should be in batmans shite thread on off-topic. :sherlock:

I think you are talking about 2 different things

1 - People outwith Glasgow that support Rangers

2 - Glory hunters - those who latch onto whichever team is being successful at the time

They had it in England when everyone suddenly became Man Yoo fans when they started winning, then Chelsea and so on. To be honest, over the last couple of years, it would be quite hard to attach the "glory hunter" label to a bear, given how much we havent had!

Although, I dont think that is what you mean, I think you are aiming more at Bears who are not born and bred Glaswegian, which, with no disrespect, would include yourself down the line at some point going from your screen name.

As a race, we are known for "spreading our wings" and travelling all over, so, it goes without saying that there will be people growing up in other areas whose families are born and bred Bears, and, as such, would lead them to become Bears. My daughter is 4, born in England, her mum is English, I am not. She already is a bear! My family is from Glasgow, but, I did not grow up there, I grew up in the NE, so, by your rational, what does that make me? Apart from slightly offended!

Whits your story jackanory ? This should be in batmans shite thread on off-topic. :sherlock:

He shouldnt HAVE any threads! :craphead:

I live in a shite little town called Blandford, 20 miles from Bournemouth. But when i got into Rangers my dad was in the army and we were being moved around alot.

TECHNICALLY my hometown i support would be Dorchester, as i was born there :lol: and i have gone to see them play a few times (only because my girlfriends brother played for them) and same with Bournemouth.

But i have supported Rangers through thick and thin since i was about 4 or something like that, my first top was this one..

8d22_1.JPG

I wouldn't class myself a glory hunter as growing up in england i could of easily have picked a massive english side like all my school mates, Arsenal, Man u, Liverpool etc, but my dad being scottish took me to see Kilmarnock, and as far as i remember they were playing Rangers, and for some reason i came away from that supporting Rangers. And to be honest i dont think i had any idea they were a big team at the time.

My dad must of been gutted, as obviously he was hoping i'd be a Killie supporter :craphead::lol:

True i can't come and see Rangers as much as i'd like, and have only been to see them play twice, i do watch them on tv every time they are on and i can, but now i am older and am earning my own money and that, flights are cheaper, i will be up a few times a season. Not sure if anyone saw my post in off topic, but a photographer at rangers offered for me to come shoot photos at a match, so you never know i might end up doing that for a job in a year or two.

Then i'll get to follow rangers all day, everyday :D

I'm from Glasgow i am 38 years old,i have followed Rangers since the treble winning season of 1977/1978 constantly home and away and abroad.....I was a young lad following Rangers through the baron years and when Souness arrived my dad got me a season book telling me that crowds will rise now son your going to need this.

We played Motherwell in the last game of season 85/86 and it ended 1-1 i think and on that day Hearts lost 2-0 and Celtic won 5-0 winning the league and there was about 13,000 inside Ibrox.

1st game of 86/87 season i can't remember who we played but there was 44,000 inside Ibrox.

Glory hunters are not people from outside Glasgow they are people who go to the games when winning and disappear when not.

I don't care if your from New York or the New Hebridies as long as your a BEAR

Most folk choose the football team they support as a kid.

It can be for an obvious reason - Dad/mates support them, they are local etc - or it can be more of a whim (the kid just likes certain players, strips, the way a team plays at a given time etc).

As long as you stick with the team you choose from then on in I think that is fair enough.

For example, my Dad has always supported Man Unt (as well as St Mirren) since the 1950s - he liked the Busby Babes etc as a kid and has stuck with Man Unt since then. Does that make him a glory hunter? I don't think so.

People get too po-faced about who you are meant to support based on certain criteria like geography.

Fuck that I say.

So long as you love football and stick with whoever you support through thick and thin then it is fine.

Anyway, tis just Another Brick in the Wall:

Hoi, Football Moralists, leave them kids alone.

demographics, migration, immigration, grafting, adoption, achievement, over achievment.

who cares.

they are all perfectly good reasons for supporting the gers.

if it fills the coffers boosts world wide support for the teddy bears am all for it.

and anyway to answer the question of glory hunters.

i will take all the glory rangers earn

BLUENOSES ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED

WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN

THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND, NEED NO EXPLANATION

THOSE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND, DON'T MATTER

What really annoys me is Aberdeen fans who support ManUre.

Guys who are the same age as me (24) reckon they support ManUre because of Alex Ferguson and their glorious Cup Winners Cup win and the "connection" between the sides. FUCK OFF! They weren't even born then. They're glory hunting scum.

Confused glory hunters with supporters who are not from Glasgow? <cr>

I'm Chinese, female, grew up in Edinburgh, not religious but... not a Proddy, supported Rangers for almost 20 years, had season tickets, living in the far east now and I am definitely not a glory hunter.

I've only ever had problems with the Scums supporters as they are too stupid to realize that they are hated not because of their religion but because of who they are - Scums! <_<

I started supporting Rangers because I got hooked on the electric atmosphere and friendliness of the Rangers supporters in Ibrox....

And I never thought fellow Bears would stereotype overseas Bears like this... :unsure:

BLUENOSES ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED

WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN

THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND, NEED NO EXPLANATION

THOSE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND, DON'T MATTER

I feel like this is true for me, i go to a Killie V Gers game with my dad a killie fan and somehow end up a ger.

:) I feel chosen

Confused glory hunters with supporters who are not from Glasgow? <cr>

I'm Chinese, female, grew up in Edinburgh, not religious but... not a Proddy, supported Rangers for almost 20 years, had season tickets, living in the far east now and I am definitely not a glory hunter.

I've only ever had problems with the Scums supporters as they are too stupid to realize that they are hated not because of their religion but because of who they are - Scums! <_<

I started supporting Rangers because I got hooked on the electric atmosphere and friendliness of the Rangers supporters in Ibrox....

And I never thought fellow Bears would stereotype overseas Bears like this... :unsure:

(tu)