'Glory Hunters' - alive at Rangers?

mohammed87

Although, I dont think that is what you mean, I think you are aiming more at Bears who are not born and bred Glaswegian, which, with no disrespect, would include yourself down the line at some point going from your screen name.

My dad was born in Glasgow and mum been here since she was 7. Hardly not born and bred in Glasgow.

Jesus was born in a stable, it doesn't mean he was a horse. Just because a crowd of politically correct nonces say something, that doesn't make it true (usually quite the opposite in fact).

Dont ever question other peoples right to support The Rangers, mohammed.... if that is your real name Declan.

:lol:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rangers will allways have a huge fan base, if you think back to the massive crowds pre war 113,567 at Ibrox v the tims etc, thats a lot of men to pass down their club to sons, grandsons etc who in turn pass it on.

If you look at the list of the people killed in the Ibrox disaster that gives you an idea of how far and wide we are from.

Personally i am not from Glasgow and have lived just outside London for 20 years now, my passion has not been diluted one iota.

The Rangers will allways have a huge fan base, if you think back to the massive crowds pre war 113,567 at Ibrox v the tims...

Your 5,000 short, or 5,163 according to some sources. ;)

I live in a shite little town called Blandford, 20 miles from Bournemouth. But when i got into Rangers my dad was in the army and we were being moved around alot.

TECHNICALLY my hometown i support would be Dorchester, as i was born there :lol: and i have gone to see them play a few times (only because my girlfriends brother played for them) and same with Bournemouth.

But i have supported Rangers through thick and thin since i was about 4 or something like that, my first top was this one..

8d22_1.JPG

I wouldn't class myself a glory hunter as growing up in england i could of easily have picked a massive english side like all my school mates, Arsenal, Man u, Liverpool etc, but my dad being scottish took me to see Kilmarnock, and as far as i remember they were playing Rangers, and for some reason i came away from that supporting Rangers. And to be honest i dont think i had any idea they were a big team at the time.

My dad must of been gutted, as obviously he was hoping i'd be a Killie supporter :craphead::lol:

True i can't come and see Rangers as much as i'd like, and have only been to see them play twice, i do watch them on tv every time they are on and i can, but now i am older and am earning my own money and that, flights are cheaper, i will be up a few times a season. Not sure if anyone saw my post in off topic, but a photographer at rangers offered for me to come shoot photos at a match, so you never know i might end up doing that for a job in a year or two.

Then i'll get to follow rangers all day, everyday :D

ah the 92-94 top, that was my first one as well and also my favourite.

I live in a shite little town called Blandford, 20 miles from Bournemouth. But when i got into Rangers my dad was in the army and we were being moved around alot.

TECHNICALLY my hometown i support would be Dorchester, as i was born there :lol: and i have gone to see them play a few times (only because my girlfriends brother played for them) and same with Bournemouth.

But i have supported Rangers through thick and thin since i was about 4 or something like that, my first top was this one..

8d22_1.JPG

I wouldn't class myself a glory hunter as growing up in england i could of easily have picked a massive english side like all my school mates, Arsenal, Man u, Liverpool etc, but my dad being scottish took me to see Kilmarnock, and as far as i remember they were playing Rangers, and for some reason i came away from that supporting Rangers. And to be honest i dont think i had any idea they were a big team at the time.

My dad must of been gutted, as obviously he was hoping i'd be a Killie supporter :craphead::lol:

True i can't come and see Rangers as much as i'd like, and have only been to see them play twice, i do watch them on tv every time they are on and i can, but now i am older and am earning my own money and that, flights are cheaper, i will be up a few times a season. Not sure if anyone saw my post in off topic, but a photographer at rangers offered for me to come shoot photos at a match, so you never know i might end up doing that for a job in a year or two.

Then i'll get to follow rangers all day, everyday :D

good post (tu)

a stay in a wee place called stonehouse but av been brought up a die hard rangers fan all ma life because of ma dad and ma family and also my friends were all rangers daft its in ma blood and just because a ont stay in glasgow doesnt mean a cant be a teddy bear

The Rangers will allways have a huge fan base, if you think back to the massive crowds pre war 113,567 at Ibrox v the tims...

My humble apologies Statto.

My humble apologies Statto.

No need to apologise Grumpy.

TECHNICALLY my hometown i support would be Dorchester, as i was born there..............

Does that make you a Dork?

:lol:

i have been tarred with thsi brush many times because i am from edinburgh, but i moved to Fauldhouse as when i was 7 and my parents got friendly with some other people ( as you do ) and was invited to go to the football with them so i went on a number of occasions to Ibrox and my 1st couple of games were defeats to Mothrewell and Hibs followed by some dissapointing results but i was hooked on going to watch us play the rest is history.

I also remember witnessing my 1st trophy in 83 with a 3-2 win over Celtic at Hampden, as an 8 year old.

Sure that was 1984 the 3-2 win over the beggars but i agree it doesn't matter where yer from god chooses his people from everywhere. :unionflag: :rangers:

yep 83-84 season, I was 9 not 8 just checked must be my age now!!!

You don't have to come from Glasgow to be a gers fan they come from all over the world as it should be I think you are being very narrow minded I come from LARKHALL and I am sure you have all heard of that and my family are no glory hunters rangers born and bred for generations in both my mum and dads family

:clap::clap:

my father was a fan of Junior football , and although I had my childhood out near Falkirk, when I was 8 my cousin was engaged to Ronnie McKinnon (older bears will know him well) and he got me into Rangers, getting to games, meeting the players etc.

This was 1968, 3 years into the scum 9 in a row. My granddad always said to me that if I supported the Gers then I would always support them as they weren't great at the time. He was right. through the grim days of early 80's the lot.

Cousin never ever did marry McKinnon but my love affair with Rangers has lasted the test of time.

I think we must have some glory hunters as I'm a young bear but i'm led to believe in the 80's some of our crowds were around 10000 and averages were about 20000, wheras teams like Manchester United averaged 48,388 in their worst season ever. Obviously you can't compare ourselves to a super clubs like Manchester United but I do think ourselves and celtic have a fair whack of gloryhunters as seen by the types of crowds both clubs got when they were going through the bad times. Manchester United average 75000 now, but I reckon about 30000 of them are gloryhunters as they have always had a hardcore of about 40000-50000 as that's what they averaged during the worst spell in their history. I would say we have a hardcore of about 20000-25000 as that's what we averaged when we went through our worst spell. Mind you, that was 25 years ago so things may have changed. I reckon if we finished say 8th in the league 5 years out of 6 iand during that spell got relegated to division 1 for a season, then I think we would probably average about 25000, so I would say these days our hardcore crowd is about 25000. All speculation though as it is impossible to prove.

http://www.red11.org/mufc/stats/attendances.htm

I started supporting Rangers when they almost reached the European final in 1993.

Can't remember who I supported before then.

Thinking of giving them up though.

If Ronaldo joins Real I may support them instead, he's great.

I started supporting Rangers when they almost reached the European final in 1993.

I was thinking of becoming one of TGFITW next season. (tu)

I was thinking of becoming one of TGFITW next season. (tu)

They have a handsome manager but unfortunately I wasn't bummed as a youngster by a man of the cloth :(

And they say they are all inclusive.

I just think the whole state of Scottish football in general would be in better shape if glory hunting was kept to a minimum

The whole idea of 'glory hunters' is a nonsense in the first place. And what's wrong with success anyway? It would be fucking perverse to want to follow The Rangers only to conclude that being from, say, Alloa meant you had to suffer the agony of Athletic. If you allowed your head to rule your heart would that instantly make you a misery-hunter? That's even more preposterous.

You pick a team or they pick you and that's that.

Lifers, season ticket holders, occasional home games, two or three a season because it's all you can afford, Setanta armchair, internet streaming in Tokyo, a certain fondness for - in my book The Rangers has room for them all, needs them all and therefore should heartily welcome them all. And far as I know, down the years, that's exactly what has happened.

I know the real anger towards occasional gamers is when they somehow turn up tickets for finals and other vital matches. But, you can't fault people for wanting to go to the greatest of games - just look at the numbers for Manchester - so until they make grounds with hugely flexible capacity this will always stick a thorn of frustration in the side of regular attendees who miss out.

It's happened to me often enough!

rangers are a institution with fans all over the world from all religions.

Great post (tu):rangers:

Everyone support Rangers for a reason.Some of the ppl here are born Rangers fans,some are not,but they support the team too..Nothing wrong with that...

It`s doesn`t matter why you supporting Rangers.What`s important is to stay Rangers fan for life,whatever happens !

FOLLOW FOLLOW :rangers:

I think the starter of this thread should look deep within and really ask himself how much Rangers means to him, you'll see from my profile I'm from Dumfries and have no real ties with Glasgow and none of my family are football fans.

At the end of last season when the inevitable happened and our team ran out of steam, the UEFA Cup and league title slpped away from us I think was probably one of the worst times of my life, I was physically ill with stress, I've never felt that way before about anything.

My wee lassie is Rangers daft and I've got her a junior membership for the supporters club here in Dumfries and I'm hoping to take her to a good few games in the coming season.

Do I sound like a glory hunter to you Mohamed..? In fact I think if you felt as strongly about Rangers as I do you wouldn't have asked such a bloody thoughtless question in the first place, gi yersel a shake man.

Yup official attendance: 118,730, January 2, 1939. Rangers 2 Celtic 1. :sherlock: