Jobs for the boys

Jimenez

Two players costing in excess of £4.5million, one has delivered very little in his debut season, yet we knock back a very reasonable bid for him and close any hope of a further bid by stating 'He isn't for sale'. The other already had a previous stint with us and failed to make an impact, furthermore he had a stint at our rivals (indeed choosing to play for them over us) where he flopped quite spectacularly.

So it begs the question of why exactly these decisions are being made! Has smith got Rangers interests at heart here or his own? And before I get slated for that, believe me... that is something I had always considered inseparable.

You really have to ponder on what sort of talent we could have secured from the continent with that kind of money. Cuellar is a perfect example that there are extremely talented players out there within our price range, though I believe had fate not brought Osasuna and Rangers together he wouldn't even be here. So Smith buys what he knows, it's not his fault our scouting network isn't up to scratch? Well then why did he employ an old friend in Euan Chester when he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in the past?

proof that money doesnt neccessarily bring better players. £4m+ for mcculloch and miller yet we got prso for nothing, boyd for £400k and nacho for similar money. Its about time we sorted out our scouting network. Spending money on scounts will save us money in the long run. I hate to say it but look at borat. Cost celtic less than £1m and now they are talking about £10-12m for him. Cuellar cost us around £2.5m and we could easily sell him for 4 times that money. blackburn got santa cruz for £3.5m, benni mccarthy for £2.5m and morton gamst pederson for £1.5m. All quality players who they could probably sell for upwards of £30m combined. There are many more good players like this out there, we just have to look for them. There are a fair few decent players on bosmans who would improve our squad as well so we dont need to spend big to get quality players in but we do have to do our homework to get them. I dont want to see us selling our best players but we all know the financial situation we are in. If we could get a couple of players in each season that we could sell on for big profits its only going to benefit us in the long run. As for why the decisions not to sell mcculloch and sign miller were made.... who knows i am struggling to come up with an answer. <cr>

proof that money doesnt neccessarily bring better players. £4m+ for mcculloch and miller yet we got prso for nothing, boyd for £400k and nacho for similar money. Its about time we sorted out our scouting network. Spending money on scounts will save us money in the long run. I hate to say it but look at borat. Cost celtic less than £1m and now they are talking about £10-12m for him. Cuellar cost us around £2.5m and we could easily sell him for 4 times that money. blackburn got santa cruz for £3.5m, benni mccarthy for £2.5m and morton gamst pederson for £1.5m. All quality players who they could probably sell for upwards of £30m combined. There are many more good players like this out there, we just have to look for them. There are a fair few decent players on bosmans who would improve our squad as well so we dont need to spend big to get quality players in but we do have to do our homework to get them. I dont want to see us selling our best players but we all know the financial situation we are in. If we could get a couple of players in each season that we could sell on for big profits its only going to benefit us in the long run. As for why the decisions not to sell mcculloch and sign miller were made.... who knows i am struggling to come up with an answer. <cr>

A decent post mate.

Though I would say it's hard to compare us with EPL clubs even the size of Blackburn as they can offer a considerably better wage than we can

it's not his fault our scouting network isn't up to scratch?

A strong manager would make that number 1 priority.

However, if Walter doesn't listen to coaches who tell him a youth player might be ready for the step up, why would he listen to a scout about a player in the Polish or Romanian "diddy" league!

However, if Walter doesn't listen to coaches who tell him a youth player might be ready for the step up, why would he listen to a scout about a player in the Polish or Romanian "diddy" league!

Quite simply 'cause whatever youth player that may be hasn't performed for him before.

Smith is reluctant at best ,outright ageist at worst when it comes to bleeding new blood

A decent post. And one that asks a few questions.

BUT.....

Walters first full season back in charge and we win 2 cups, almost the league and get to the UEFA CUP final. And how well did we do the previous season?

We are building strength in depth. Walter has learned this from his time in charge of Scotland and more specifically Man U where he must have picked up a few things from Fergie.

We are moving in the right direction. Lets see how we do this coming season before we question Walter.

A decent post. And one that asks a few questions.

BUT.....

Walters first full season back in charge and we win 2 cups, almost the league and get to the UEFA CUP final. And how well did we do the previous season?

We are building strength in depth. Walter has learned this from his time in charge of Scotland and more specifically Man U where he must have picked up a few things from Fergie.

We are moving in the right direction. Lets see how we do this coming season before we question Walter.

A decent reply (tu)

And I'd never have thought I would ever second guess Smith, he has done a remarkable job in turning us around.

BUT....

I fear where we are headed, you mention strength in depth. How many squad players do we need without the addition of of a couple of players who can seriously transform a game through brilliance?

You can't seriously tell me that signing Miller and keeping McCulloch bodes well for next season.

I honestly don't think we have the luxury to 'wait and see' another year, the consequences would mean 4 in a row for the bheggars.

We had a great season, we have the nucleus of a solid side all we need is some skill. I can't see him delivering now.

Some excellent points Jimenez.....just what LM brings to the team I really do not know.

As for Miller...well his goals per game ratio has not been particularly good at any club he has been at...I just hope we have not thrown good money after bad.

Both players give 100% ....the same as Novo...but its quality we are needing not just honest endeavour.

Two players costing in excess of £4.5million, one has delivered very little in his debut season, yet we knock back a very reasonable bid for him and close any hope of a further bid by stating 'He isn't for sale'. The other already had a previous stint with us and failed to make an impact, furthermore he had a stint at our rivals (indeed choosing to play for them over us) where he flopped quite spectacularly.

So it begs the question of why exactly these decisions are being made! Has smith got Rangers interests at heart here or his own? And before I get slated for that, believe me... that is something I had always considered inseparable.

You really have to ponder on what sort of talent we could have secured from the continent with that kind of money. Cuellar is a perfect example that there are extremely talented players out there within our price range, though I believe had fate not brought Osasuna and Rangers together he wouldn't even be here. So Smith buys what he knows, it's not his fault our scouting network isn't up to scratch? Well then why did he employ an old friend in Euan Chester when he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in the past?

For every Cuellar we have bought there have been countless poncy continentals who have brought only there ego and wage demands with them. Libor Sionko anyone?

Note both are Miller and McCullough are attackers. Strikers by and large cost a fortune.

Its obvious Smith likes hard working physical players. What you see is what you get with them. It was pretty successfull last season with a whole team of these types of players.

Watching GvB the other day reminded me of what we are missing in terms of quality. But can someone tell me where these guys can be found? Europe is awash with scouts from clubs who are far better off financially than we are.

A decent post mate.

Though I would say it's hard to compare us with EPL clubs even the size of Blackburn as they can offer a considerably better wage than we can

unfortunatly very true but i suspect pedersons not on that much, he was pretty much an unknown when he went to blackburn when the other 2 were pretty well known. Wages aside it does prove that there are quality players available out there that dont cost loads. Thats why we need to get scouts out there and get these players before they get noticed by the big clubs. Heerenveen paid E100k for klass jan huntelaar when he was only 20. Imagine the side we could have if we got a couple of players like him in on the cheap when they are young. Although we all know what walters like for giving youth a chance so they would probably never get a game.

I hope we have scouts at Euro 2008.

Even for the odd Pole,Austrian,Swiss or Romanian.they seem to have better quality than us

The Austrian left winger and their big Blonde striker could do a job for us.

Polish right winger?

Any bloddy Romanian.

We should be like Arsenal,Man U and Chelsea and have scouts in every league reporting back....i think we have 1 in England and 1 who watches Eurosport

Its a dog eat dog world.

The Premiership steal from us, so we should steal from Romania, Poland, Croatia, Turkey etc etc

Let those countries moan about the big boys coming to town