What Exactly Are We Seeing Here?

I have to admit that I didn't see this line of transfers happening when the season closed a short time ago.

In my opinion, we have signed three strikers - albeit one that can play on the left and is only 20 years old - which has led to a 25 year old named Gow being let go and a risk of alienating the best out and out striker in the SPL.

Don't get me wrong, I trust in Walter Smith to do what is right for Rangers, I just don't know why making players like Boyd and Gow seem so unnecessary to the overall picture for Rangers.

When you think about the previous season, it was Boyd that rescued the domestic cups for us, yet, outside of those competitions he rarely had a chance to shine. People say he can't play alone, well, sure enough, but in domestic football he is a proven player who could have someone to play with...even with last year's squad... I can only imagine he is pretty frustrated with the entire situation that is transpiring and I feel as though, unless Smith plans on playing him more often with support, he may very well turn his back on the club. That, maybe, would be the right thing to do with a domestic record in scoring goals like he has.

As for Gow, he really didn't receive a chance with Rangers last season. Even down the stretch when we had players dead on their feet out on the pitch he was never used. Again, maybe a player like Gow just doesn't have what it takes, but from a fan perspective we didn't get to see with our own eyes or not.

Anyway, I am not sure what people are thinking about the signings and I would like to hear.

What are we going to do for a lineup? Is Walter putting together 1 European and 1 domestic strike force? I am unsure what is going on.

-----------------McGregor----------------

Broadfoot --- Cuellar --- Weir --- Papac

-----------Ferguson-----Thomson--------

Davis------------Miller--------------Lafferty

-------------------Boyd----------------------

I mean, how are we going to lineup?

That side IS NOT strong enough to win the league, or should I rephrase that as that side does not have the ability to win the league!

I'm still hoping for quality in the coming weeks.

That side IS NOT strong enough to win the league, or should I rephrase that as that side does not have the ability to win the league!

Well what kind of lineup can you see us playing with? I just threw something odd together above, would like to hear opinions.

Well what kind of lineup can you see us playing with? I just threw something odd together above, would like to hear opinions.

I don't know hence the reason I said I'm hopeful we still sign quality.

You put the team up for discussion so I aired my opinion that the team is not good enough to win the title, it lacks seriously quality.

I don't know hence the reason I said I'm hopeful we still sign quality.

You put the team up for discussion so I aired my opinion that the team is not good enough to win the title, it lacks seriously quality.

I agree with you.

I have to admit that I didn't see this line of transfers happening when the season closed a short time ago.

In my opinion, we have signed three strikers - albeit one that can play on the left and is only 20 years old - which has led to a 25 year old named Gow being let go and a risk of alienating the best out and out striker in the SPL.

Don't get me wrong, I trust in Walter Smith to do what is right for Rangers, I just don't know why making players like Boyd and Gow seem so unnecessary to the overall picture for Rangers.

When you think about the previous season, it was Boyd that rescued the domestic cups for us, yet, outside of those competitions he rarely had a chance to shine. People say he can't play alone, well, sure enough, but in domestic football he is a proven player who could have someone to play with...even with last year's squad... I can only imagine he is pretty frustrated with the entire situation that is transpiring and I feel as though, unless Smith plans on playing him more often with support, he may very well turn his back on the club. That, maybe, would be the right thing to do with a domestic record in scoring goals like he has.

As for Gow, he really didn't receive a chance with Rangers last season. Even down the stretch when we had players dead on their feet out on the pitch he was never used. Again, maybe a player like Gow just doesn't have what it takes, but from a fan perspective we didn't get to see with our own eyes or not.

Anyway, I am not sure what people are thinking about the signings and I would like to hear.

What are we going to do for a lineup? Is Walter putting together 1 European and 1 domestic strike force? I am unsure what is going on.

-----------------McGregor----------------

Broadfoot --- Cuellar --- Weir --- Papac

-----------Ferguson-----Thomson--------

Davis------------Miller--------------Lafferty

-------------------Boyd----------------------

I mean, how are we going to lineup?

Broadfoot and Papac need replacing

Davis wont be here next year, wee Nach will prob be wide right

Weir wont play a much as last season (even though he is still a good player)

Boyd and Miller would be my choice up front with Velicka to be the European target man!

I think Walter could have seen Gow's talent in his creatvity but not appreciated his lack of work-rate as an attacking player. Right or wrongly.

He preferred 'safe' players, players like Whittaker, Adam, McCulloch, Novo who worked very hard but who not ones who would look to create chances in a big way.

davis doesnt play for us and i doubt he will be back either

we definately lack real quality and i wouldnt even hazard a guess at a starting 11

The team I posted is what I am predicting Rangers seeing as the useful domestic option. I think Davis is in their plans....whether he comes or not.

we definately lack real quality and i wouldnt even hazard a guess at a starting 11

The team I posted is what I am predicting Rangers seeing as the useful domestic option. I think Davis is in their plans....whether he comes or not.

That team is probably our best option (maybe bar Whittaker for Broadfoot) as it stands, quite worrying actually. It just shows how much more strengthening is required this summer.

That team is probably our best option (maybe bar Whittaker for Broadfoot) as it stands, quite worrying actually. It just shows how much more strengthening is required this summer.

And that strengthening all comes down to money.

Could Walter be thinking along these lines?

---------------McGregor

Signing---Cuellar---Webster---Smith

--Davis-------Ferguson-------Thomson

-----Miller------JCD------Vellicka

Lafferty on the bench, as he's still Under-21.

Or maybe 4-4-2 with:-

---------------McGregor

Signing---Cuellar---Webster---Smith

Novo-----Davis----Ferguson----DMB

---------Miller----------Vellicka

Again, Lafferty benched to suit the U-21 rule.

Whittaker might be RB, but I seriously doubt it. He's more likely to find himself on the bench as cover for both fullbacks and midfield. And I just can't see how Davis, Ferguson and Thomson fit into midfield in anything other than 4-5-1.

Neither of the sides I've listed fill me with joy, but I thought I'd go along with CRs thinking and provide a few talking points.

I also think we'll sign a quality midfielder for the centre rather than wide.

I'm not overly worried about next season. The squad we currently have came incredibly close to winning the title, thus wholesale changes are not needed. We only need a centre half and maybe a winger/creative midfielder.

I was struggling to make sense of the amount of strikers we're signing, but with a bit of thought, it's starting to make sense... The strikers we currently have: Boyd, Darcheville, Cousin, Miller, Lafferty, Naismith, Novo, Velicka. That's 8. But Naismith is out for a year, so that brings us down to 7. Cousin is likely to leave, thus 6. Novo plays as more of a winger, that's 5. Darche is on his last legs and won't play more than half our games. Thus we need good cover. Lafferty is also <21, therefore he can replace one of the token youngsters like McMillan, Lennon etc. that are never going to play.

I'm not Boy'd biggest fan, but I hope he stays for at least one more season in the hope that he can evolve into more of a rounded player.

I seriously worry for the lack of flair or creative spark we have right now. Lets wait and see how this is addressed during the window , and keep fingers crossed the centre-mid and wide player we need are on their way!

I'm not overly worried about next season. The squad we currently have came incredibly close to winning the title, thus wholesale changes are not needed. We only need a centre half and maybe a winger/creative midfielder.

I was struggling to make sense of the amount of strikers we're signing, but with a bit of thought, it's starting to make sense... The strikers we currently have: Boyd, Darcheville, Cousin, Miller, Lafferty, Naismith, Novo, Velicka. That's 8. But Naismith is out for a year, so that brings us down to 7. Cousin is likely to leave, thus 6. Novo plays as more of a winger, that's 5. Darche is on his last legs and won't play more than half our games. Thus we need good cover. Lafferty is also <21, therefore he can replace one of the token youngsters like McMillan, Lennon etc. that are never going to play.

I'm not Boy'd biggest fan, but I hope he stays for at least one more season in the hope that he can evolve into more of a rounded player.

I can see the 1st offer of £2m for Boyd being accepted. I think it's fairly obvious that Walter doesn't want to use him unless there's no-one else available, as the signings of 3 more rounded, although less potent, strikers seems to show. I hope I'm wrong, as I would like to see Boyd stay, albeit to be used from the bench rather than starting games.