Nacho Novo - the super sub?

So does anyone see a roll for Nacho at Rangers other than as a substitute?

He is very effective as one...but is that it for his talent level? I really like him and think he ignites the team when he is in there. Would like to hear if anyone thinks he can be the real deal if given more of a chance. He hasn't been mentioned much thus far in the off season. Do we take him for granted?

Plays better off the bench than starting imo.

Always makes a good impact with his pace when the game is starting to slow down.

Plays from the heart and loves the fans :rangers:

Think he is one of the worst players at the club - cant control a ball, his finishing is awkward and his hot-headedness has cost the side more than once.

personally, i would have let him go long before now, but as a sub has his uses

However, his record when starting is NOT good

Agree that he should have started the UEFA CF. Not hearing him mentioned is probably a good thing for him and us.

Novos problem when he does get a start is that in subsequent starts his performances drop. I'd give him the odd start then use him from the bench again for awhile.

He is very effective as one...but is that it for his talent level? I really like him and think he ignites the team when he is in there. Would like to hear if anyone thinks he can be the real deal if given more of a chance. He hasn't been mentioned much thus far in the off season. Do we take him for granted?

He's is a clear fans favourite , i cannot see why he doesnt start many games as he has proven to be a good player both in Europe and the SPL. Novo and Prso was a great partnership , I think with the right partner to win headers and flick on's Novo would get 20+ goals each season. Mabye that's what Walter is planning next year ? Lafferty to win the headers and flicks on's but with Millers scoring record i find it doubtfull it would be as successfull as the Prso - Novo partnership we all loved.

Agree that he should have started the UEFA CF

Yes especially after his performance the previous saturday when he played from the start. We hear so much that he is an impact player better used as a sub, but think of his impact from the start against Celtic when he scored twice, games in europe and in the spl over the past seasons.

Like Boyd he suffers from not getting regular games and more so since he is rarely played in his natural position as striker.

His "inconsistency" started when Eck decided to play him wide and isolated from striking partners( sound familiar?).

My opinion is that he is the only striker who has shown that he can form a productive partnership with Boyd and these two should be the main strike force.

Yes especially after his performance the previous saturday when he played from the start. We hear so much that he is an impact player better used as a sub, but think of his impact from the start against Celtic when he scored twice, games in europe and in the spl over the past seasons.

Like Boyd he suffers from not getting regular games and more so since he is rarely played in his natural position as striker.

His "inconsistency" started when Eck decided to play him wide and isolated from striking partners( sound familiar?).

My opinion is that he is the only striker who has shown that he can form a productive partnership with Boyd and these two should be the main strike force.

Dont think we will see him play as an out and out striker due to the latest batch of recruits.

I have watched some games in the company of foreigners who didnt have a clue about any Rangers players other than BF probably. On more than one occassion I have been asked who Novo is due to him appearing at left back, right back, various midfield positions and on each wing all during one game. Makes me laugh and I just reply its Wee Nacho! :D

Think he is one of the worst players at the club - cant control a ball, his finishing is awkward and his hot-headedness has cost the side more than once.

personally, i would have let him go long before now, but as a sub has his uses

However, his record when starting is NOT good

(tu)

You've got to love the wee man, he loves the Club, and the fans.

I've met him a couple of times and he's brand new, absolutely brilliant.

Always appreciates the fans, almost always last to leave the field.

But yes, his best contributions have come when he came on as sub.

You've got to love the wee man, he loves the Club, and the fans.

I've met him a couple of times and he's brand new, absolutely brilliant.

Always appreciates the fans, almost always last to leave the field.

Broadfoot and McCulloch love the club and the fans too

Ive met them and they are brand new

They appreciate the fans and take time out to acknowledge us

Its a bad day when the wee mans attitute is worth more than his ability

Dont think we will see him play as an out and out striker due to the latest batch of recruits.

I have watched some games in the company of foreigners who didnt have a clue about any Rangers players other than BF probably. On more than one occassion I have been asked who Novo is due to him appearing at left back, right back, various midfield positions and on each wing all during one game. Makes me laugh and I just reply its Wee Nacho! :D

:craphead:

Nice one.

The wee man gives his all. Never gives up and uses his pace for the good of the team. Only thing is it is dodgy playing him for the full 90 minutes. No human can keep that energy level up for a whole game time after time.

As others have said he is a great team player and can swing games to our advantage when used as a sub. I'm glad Walt got him to sign a new contract. (tu)

He's our very own version of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Comes off the bench to rescue the game for us. :rangers:

His best contribution came when he started 33 matches and scored 19 times as we won the championship.

I think the sub thing is a wee bit of a myth actually.

There's no doubt he is very effective as a sub as his pace and goal-threat is very useful when teams tire. However, as Briton suggests, and as we've seen in many other games (especially against Celtic), when started and when played up front (he is a striker), he's equally (or more) effective as a regular starter.

We could all go on all day about the wee fella's pros and cons but his commitment, experience and enthusiasm is exactly the kind of attributes we need if we're to win back the title with more new players this season.

I love the wee man's spirit & desire, and wish we had XI players starting every week matching him in that department - but I have to agree, he is a great asset from the bench and should be used as such.

Can see Novo being utilised more next season out on one of the wings with DMB on the other side and during a match the two of them swapping wings.

A possibilty, although I would love us to buy someone dedicated to this role - and not stick to this "make-shift" policy, and use Nacho as back-up.

Can see Novo being utilised more next season out on one of the wings with DMB on the other side and during a match the two of them swapping wings.

A possibilty, although I would love us to buy someone dedicated to this role - and not stick to this "make-shift" policy, and use Nacho as back-up.

Totally agree with you.

Spot on JR...

That's why players like Novo et al do struggle to achieve any sort of consistency. Quite simply they are being played out of position and it's hard enough for wingers to obtain that quality without playing strikers there.

By all means use him there as a necessity but let's players in their proper positions first.