Why do we never plan for the future?

CF5LOYAL

This has been going on for years at Rangers. Every summer we always spend money on average players who are coming into the tail end of thier careers. Why do we never plan ahead?

I know it is a massive pressure from the fans to be successful every year but surely all these changes are costing us. We never have any continuity or allow a team time to evolve. I think our short sightedness is something that is really wrong with our club. We should start investing in real quality instead of buying players who are there just to get the job done and no more. Players like Dailly, Weir ( although he did do well ) JCD are prime examples, they were only ever going to last 2 seasons maximum.

Thoughts on this?

Walter came in last season to steady the ship but yet again this season we are looking at bringing in 8 players minimum. That just shouldn't be happening. Every summer is the same (td)

This has been going on for years at Rangers. Every summer we always spend money on average players who are coming into the tail end of thier careers. Why do we never plan ahead?

I know it is a massive pressure from the fans to be successful every year but surely all these changes are costing us. We never have any continuity or allow a team time to evolve. I think our short sightedness is something that is really wrong with our club. We should start investing in real quality instead of buying players who are there just to get the job done and no more. Players like Dailly, Weir ( although he did do well ) JCD are prime examples, they were only ever going to last 2 seasons maximum.

Thoughts on this?

You're an arse.

other thoughts: I need some chocolate. Telly is shite. Colplay are dire.

Thoughts on this?

You're an arse.

other thoughts: I need some chocolate. Telly is shite. Colplay are dire.

Thoughts on the thread, not on me WVB ;):pipe:

Ok, i think it's yet another pointlessly negative thread. It's as if you're drip feeding us with depression. No sooner has one dull thread slid down the board than another one appears at the top.

Well, it won't work lads. I'm upbeat & positive about next season. Yes, we've got papes in the team (td) yes TBB has been banned (td) yes the mint is a cunt (td) but we're still better than those manky yahoo paedo hooped bastards.

I can't be doing with negative people. If you are depressed, down or whatever, just go and kill yourself & stop spreading your misery here.

Ok, i think it's yet another pointlessly negative thread. It's as if you're drip feeding us with depression. No sooner has one dull thread slid down the board than another one appears at the top.

Well, it won't work lads. I'm upbeat & positive about next season. Yes, we've got papes in the team (td) yes TBB has been banned (td) yes the mint is a cunt (td) but we're still better than those manky yahoo paedo hooped bastards.

I can't be doing with negative people. If you are depressed, down or whatever, just go and kill yourself & stop spreading your misery here.

I admire your optimism, hopefully by the end of the transfer window we will all be positive but sometimes we have to be realistic and honest.

There is still another 8 weeks so you're right we should wait until we see who comes and goes but you have to agree that as a club we are very shortsighted. I just believe we should plan more for the future instead of everything being done for here and now.

But on the whole it appears that the whole club is planning for the future though............

The mint is desperate to get out, and for that reason he is trying to make us look like an attractive option to a buyer and thats exactly why our most selable assets McGregor & Cuellar are being linked with moves away. It's a questionable strategy, but is it not considered as planning for the future.

Then you have the young guys coming through at Murray Park. Yes they aren't in the first team right now, but they might be next season. Surely the regular praise that they get from everybody at the club suggest that they will be have no choice but to be used soon?

Then we move onto the park. In recent years we have invested 4 million on both Thomson (23) & Naismith (21) along with a probable 6 million on Davis (23) & Lafferty (20) to follow in the near future, players who are young enough to do well for us and be sold on for profits later on.

Despite their ability being questioned by some we have Broadfoot (23) Whittaker (24) Adam (22) Boyd (24) all in and around the first team too. Guys who are at an age where they can still improve so they fall into this category too.

We also have Beasley, Miller & Papac to consider. Guys who are just hitting an age where players are generally considered to be at the beginning of their peak years as a player.

And holding it all together is the experienced guys the Ferguson's, Weir's Dailly's & JCD's of our squad. The guys who's experience makes them invaluable to our squad.

Then at the very top you have our management team where Walter is playing a similar role to a Weir or a Dailly and simply teaching Kenny McD, Ally & Durrant (a guy who has been heavily involved with the young players at Ibrox over the past few years) all that he knows.

So IMO if anything is hindering us at the moment, it's our desperation to try and lay the foundations for the next few years.

But on the whole it appears that the whole club is planning for the future though............

The mint is desperate to get out, and for that reason he is trying to make us look like an attractive option to a buyer and thats exactly why our most selable assets McGregor & Cuellar are being linked with moves away. It's a questionable strategy, but is it not considered as planning for the future.

Then you have the young guys coming through at Murray Park. Yes they aren't in the first team right now, but they might be next season. Surely the regular praise that they get from everybody at the club suggest that they will be have no choice but to be used soon?

Then we move onto the park. In recent years we have invested 4 million on both Thomson (23) & Naismith (21) along with a probable 6 million on Davis (23) & Lafferty (20) to follow in the near future, players who are young enough to do well for us and be sold on for profits later on.

Despite their ability being questioned by some we have Broadfoot (23) Whittaker (24) Adam (22) Boyd (24) all in and around the first team too. Guys who are at an age where they can still improve so they fall into this category too.

We also have Beasley, Miller & Papac to consider. Guys who are just hitting an age where players are generally considered to be at the beginning of their peak years as a player.

And holding it all together is the experienced guys the Ferguson's, Weir's Dailly's & JCD's of our squad. The guys who's experience makes them invaluable to our squad.

Then at the very top you have our management team where Walter is playing a similar role to a Weir or a Dailly and simply teaching Kenny McD, Ally & Durrant (a guy who has been heavily involved with the young players at Ibrox over the past few years) all that he knows.

So IMO if anything is hindering us at the moment, it's our desperation to try and lay the foundations for the next few years.

I think the point you make about SDM looking for a buyer might be being detrimental to the club. The quicker he leaves then we know where we stand and will be able to kick on from there.

You have made some good points about the younger players we have but again we are going to have to bring about 8 players in, that is what worries me is they will need time to gel. Especially with our first 6 fixtures ( the four in the league and the CL qualifers) being probably the most important of the season than they won't have that time.

Cuellar, Lafferty(hopefully), Naismith, Webster, Thomson, Whittaker, Beasley hardly not building for the future.

Also add in Adam, Broadfoot, Stevie Smith, Burke, McGregor and Boyd.

It's not as if we need to build for the future with quite a few players who are young and will no doubt last a long time if we keep them.

:lol:

Get them tellt :lol:

Cuellar, Lafferty(hopefully), Naismith, Webster, Thomson, Whittaker, Beasley hardly not building for the future.

It's not as if we need to build for the future with quite a few players who are young and will no doubt last a long time if we keep them.

Only thing that worries me is are they players good enough to win us the league and get us into the CL?

IMO Adam, Burke, Broadfoot, Whittaker and possibly, depending on how he recovers, Smith don't have it.

:lol::clap:

Only thing that worries me is are they players good enough to win us the league and get us into the CL?

IMO Adam, Burke, Broadfoot, Whittaker and possibly, depending on how he recovers, Smith don't have it.

I think Whittaker, Adam and Burke have all shown in spells they can play in these big games its just about getting a level of consistency, and so has Broadfoot with defenders they get better with age and is surely a decent enough player to keep as a backup in case of injuries/suspensions.

I think Whittaker, Adam and Burke have all shown in spells they can play in these big games its just about getting a level of consistency, and so has Broadfoot with defenders they get better with age and is surely a decent enough player to keep as a backup in case of injuries/suspensions.

Nah - these players - Smith apart maybe - need to get much more consistent or they can go. Take LM with them - he is awful.

Say half the people on this forum who want to sign past-it stars like Bronckhorst, Gattuso and Riquelme.

Say half the people on this forum who want to sign past-it stars like Bronckhorst, Gattuso and Riquelme.

Mate you know as well as I do what I'm talking about. Players like Gattusso and Riquelme are still world class palyers in their respective positions and they are an exception. We have been signing players who are over the hill for years now but I suppose it all boils down to money and I suppose Murray must take the blame then.

Myabe we should get a manager with serious vision - a young man who will change the club from top to bottom, implement a (serious) youth policy and build for the future - oh wait, that was Paul Le Guen

Sacked after 6 months because we fell behind Celtic - the reason why we are always rebuilding is that our fans cannot accept being in 2nd place for a couple of years while serious team building takes place so its done on a year to year basis

Myabe we should get a manager with serious vision - a young man who will change the club from top to bottom, implement a (serious) youth policy and build for the future - oh wait, that was Paul Le Guen

Sacked after 6 months because we fell behind Celtic - the reason why we are always rebuilding is that our fans cannot accept being in 2nd place for a couple of years while serious team building takes place so its done on a year to year basis

Agreed.