John Greig gets his Glasgow Uni Degree

Boab

Degree of Recognition

RANGERS legend John Greig has been honoured by Glasgow University with a degree to recognise his contribution to Scottish football.

Greig received his honororary doctorate alongside friend and former Old Firm rival Billy McNeill as the University chose to reward their on going roles as ambassadors for the national game.

It was a proud moment for the man who captained Rangers to their only European trophy in 1972 and was voted the greatest ever Ranger by fans.

Greig said: "It's very humbling. I sat at the ceremony and listened to the academic achievements of some of the people beside me and that made me pinch myself and think 'am I really here?'

"It's been a marvellous day and something that I'm very proud to be a part of. I've looked across at the University from the top floor of Ibrox and admired the building.

"Usually I only see it from the outside, but in the last couple of months I've been in it twice and it's a magnificent place. It's been really interesting and exciting to be here."

Greig achieved an incredible 753 appearances during his playing career with Rangers and returned to manage the club to four domestic cup successes.

Already awared an MBE, Greig admits that he hasn't ever imagined being presented with a degree scroll.

He added: "From an early age I forgot about my studies and decided I wanted to be a football player. I was one of the lucky ones that made it, but I never thought I would see the inside of a university never mind receive a degree.

"At this stage of my life it's up there with going to the palace to receive the MBE from the Queen. I thought my days of receiving awards or recognition were long gone so it's a tremendous feeling."

And one that Greig feels was all the sweeter for sharing it with Celtic's former captain and manager McNeill who had to limp his way through a procession of the University grounds.

Greig concluded: "I was really pleased to be able to enjoy the day with my pal Billy McNeill, because we've been on the road together for many, many years now.

"He blames his limp on me, but I told him it couldn't have been me because he's still walking!"

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1330528,00.html

Well done Scrambled Egg (tu)

Degree of Recognition

RANGERS legend John Greig has been honoured by Glasgow University with a degree to recognise his contribution to Scottish football.

Greig received his honororary doctorate alongside friend and former Old Firm rival Billy McNeill as the University chose to reward their on going roles as ambassadors for the national game.

It was a proud moment for the man who captained Rangers to their only European trophy in 1972 and was voted the greatest ever Ranger by fans.

Greig said: "It's very humbling. I sat at the ceremony and listened to the academic achievements of some of the people beside me and that made me pinch myself and think 'am I really here?'

"It's been a marvellous day and something that I'm very proud to be a part of. I've looked across at the University from the top floor of Ibrox and admired the building.

"Usually I only see it from the outside, but in the last couple of months I've been in it twice and it's a magnificent place. It's been really interesting and exciting to be here."

Greig achieved an incredible 753 appearances during his playing career with Rangers and returned to manage the club to four domestic cup successes.

Already awared an MBE, Greig admits that he hasn't ever imagined being presented with a degree scroll.

He added: "From an early age I forgot about my studies and decided I wanted to be a football player. I was one of the lucky ones that made it, but I never thought I would see the inside of a university never mind receive a degree.

"At this stage of my life it's up there with going to the palace to receive the MBE from the Queen. I thought my days of receiving awards or recognition were long gone so it's a tremendous feeling."

And one that Greig feels was all the sweeter for sharing it with Celtic's former captain and manager McNeill who had to limp his way through a procession of the University grounds.

Greig concluded: "I was really pleased to be able to enjoy the day with my pal Billy McNeill, because we've been on the road together for many, many years now.

"He blames his limp on me, but I told him it couldn't have been me because he's still walking!"

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1330528,00.html

Well done Scrambled Egg (tu)

Welcome to the club John. My time at Glasgow Uni just got sweeter, knowing you're part of the alumnus.

Did you know that Glasgow Uni was established up by Papal decree?

Great player, Rangers hero etc but i've never understood these honourery degrees. Nothing to do with the University in my opinion. He should be honoured by Rangers, supporters, the SFA etc

Often as not , honorary degrees get given to 3rd world dicatators and revoked around 20 years after their genocidal deeds! Think the Ibrox boardroom is safe from any Greig inspired purges though.

Well done big man.