Is trust and respect for Smith starting to waiver?

Danny

I remember some weeks back I started that poll which drew fire from all quarters - I asked if we were in favour of Smith or indeed against. I made the poll purely out of a need to respond to a number of threads which asked what manager we all wanted, as if Smith was not in favour any more.

The poll I made was overwhelmingly in favour of Smith, as I expected. Which kinda made the other threads odd but anyway.

In the last month, I get a real feeling of pessimism about the running of our club - from SDM to Bain to indeed Smith and hell, even Ally. These guys have signed the club's nemesis, have brought in potentially 2 further other strikers, and are trying to use one they've mistreated as a makeweight in a deal few of us even want to see happen - a £3M bid for a Burnley striker.

6 months ago we'd be all wishing Gow all the best but pleading with him to just go and re-vitalise his career.

Now we're actually 'using' Gow to get one over on Smith in light of recent feeling about things at the club.

This is an unheard of concept - Smith was the Messiah but is now being completely undermined by many fans who consider he hasn't a clue any more.

Since when would our fans EVER support a player over Walter Smith?

But it's happening now. And it's not even an especially important player.

Who would have imagined this?

Not that surprising really Danny - a month or so Walter was untouchable in view of our potential 4 trophies.

We overlooked the lack of creative play - the unimaginative football - the overcautious approach ...or if not overlooked...we were not in a position to argue given the potential success it had brought.

A month on however and the loss of the 2 trophies we wanted most....I suspect the critics feel a little more confident about putting their heads above the parapet so to speak.

Actually Minstral and I warned everyone about the negative football the night we qualified for the CL and we were told we were talking shit. So not smug nor confident, just correct - unfortunately

Guest Andypendek

That's accurate but in't it depressing that so many people are only willing to support the side when they are winning, and if there's even a hint of imperfection the knives come out?

You've got to take the rough with the smooth, and I'm not saying we can never have a moan but it's been way OTT imo.

Did Smith set out to build an exciting, flair team last summer? No, it was a functional. combative side. Another season of that and I'd be chewing my scarf in frustration but I would still prefer it to driving home after being beaten by flaming St Johnstone.

In terms of building a side and signing players I trust Walter. I don't always agree with what he does - infact I find it astonishing at times - but I would always support him because he knows best.

As for respect, that was lost on the 13th of June 2008.

In terms of building a side and signing players I trust Walter. I don't always agree with what he does - infact I find it astonishing at times - but I would always support him because he knows best.

A fantastic manager who has changed the fortunes of our club whilst hardly spending a penny. 18 months go he took over a shambles. A group of players who did not give a ****. He spent £10 million last summer and got that back with the sale of Hutton. In that time we played 68 games last season due to how successful we were whilst winning 2 trophies and being unlucky not to win another 2.

This summer he has a limited budget and will probably have to sell McGregor to raise funds. He is signing players that are within his budget. He has only got £6 million to spend plus who he sells. Rangers fans need to wake up to this point that we are not in the market any more for the top players and probably not even a few levels under them.

It is a terrible shame what is happening but unless we get into the EPL or a European league then this is the way it is going to be. The financials just don't add up otherwise.

A fantastic manager who has changed the fortunes of our club whilst hardly spending a penny. 18 months go he took over a shambles. A group of players who did not give a ****. He spent £10 million last summer and got that back with the sale of Hutton. In that time we played 68 games last season due to how successful we were whilst winning 2 trophies and being unlucky not to win another 2.

This summer he has a limited budget and will probably have to sell McGregor to raise funds. He is signing players that are within his budget. He has only got £6 million to spend plus who he sells. Rangers fans need to wake up to this point that we are not in the market any more for the top players and probably not even a few levels under them.

It is a terrible shame what is happening but unless we get into the EPL or a European league then this is the way it is going to be. The financials just don't add up otherwise.

I totally agree with you mate. He has done a terrific job.

Albeit we may we sell Mcgregor, if we only have 6 million - and I say this full in the knowledge that you are very good with your numbers in a Rangers context - then that'll be nothing short of a f*ckin disgrace that we used that money on 3 (Velicka, Miller and Laffery) very average footballers in comparison to what we could have got.

On the question, I just getting fed up of Walter.

I don't trust Walter on many fronts, team selection, tactics and transfer on the whole. Just far too patchy on all 3.

We were very lucky at times, in the cold light of day, and I don't think we'll be as lucky again so we really ought to be a good team rather not a pish but good team.

And if we don't buy 2 or 3 creative midfielders and that includes ones with pace, skill and and passing ability and match winners then I'll be very pissed off. Its not even an entertainment thing but for us to try to be effective as a team.

I'll not deny it, I'm dreading boredom next season at Ibrox and I've had a season ticket for 4 seasons now with us not really playing in the traditional Rangers way IMO.

Albeit we may we sell Mcgregor, if we only have 6 million - and I say this full in the knowledge that you are very good with your numbers in a Rangers context - then that'll be nothing short of a f*ckin disgrace that we used that money on 3 (Velicka, Miller and Laffery) very average footballers in comparison to what we could have got.

I know what you mean mate but I don't know what good players are out there for what we are spending. (including wage demands)

Wait to you hear what that young Hamilton Accies lad is costing Palerno.......... I'm as frustrated as everyone else although I have to say I think SDM may eventually spend £10 million if we qualify for the CL or potentially he is playing games with us and telling us he is spending £6 million so that we are delighted when he spends more than that.

all i will say is even when we were in with a chance of 4 trophys i was still not happy with walter. to me i have followed rangers for over 50 years and the football we had to watch was torture, to negative, plus no pace to our game, and to slow a build up. walter set out not to lose the game, but once we lost a goal there was no plan b, and we ended up playing the long ball game. we also were giving to much respect to even the small teams we played by being to negative, when its them that should have been scared of us. i know walter was brought in to steady the ship, but he did even better and had us well clear in the title race, and to fling it away was unforgivable, but in walters first spell he said he could take us no further, and to me walter will always be a hero, but after leaving he should never have come back.

I know what you mean mate but I don't know what good players are out there for what we are spending. (including wage demands)

Wait to you hear what that young Hamilton Accies lad is costing Palerno.......... I'm as frustrated as everyone else although I have to say I think SDM may eventually spend £10 million if we qualify for the CL or potentially he is playing games with us and telling us he is spending £6 million so that we are delighted when he spends more than that.

Your 1st point, I just think we need to go the foreign quality route.

Well hopefully about SDM.

and are trying to use one they've mistreated as a makeweight

Danny - what possible reason have you got for saying that the management have "mistreated" Gow? Have you been at the training sessions and watched him playing in the reserves? As far as I can see he is a player who signed for a bigger club and hasn't made the grade. It happens to plenty of players, the only thing that is special about Gow is that he being offered in a transfer that many people on this forum don't want to go ahead. To say that he has been mistreated is rubbish.

Next you'll be saying Buffel has been mistreated.......

I dont trust him and a lot of my respect for him went when he brought Khenny Miller back to the club.

This summer he has a limited budget and will probably have to sell McGregor to raise funds. He is signing players that are within his budget. He has only got £6 million to spend plus who he sells

3 names, Khenny Miller, Andrius Velicka and Kyle Lafferty.

Now if this is his budget, then why is he wasting it on these three players?

If and a big if, he has only £6m plus what he takes in from the sale of players, then Murray should hang his head in shame after what we went through last season.

Only amongst the noisy minority.

i think you will find that the minority is noisy, but if next season does not go well the majority will b made up by the many many others who are keepin tight lipped until the actual season starts.....

could be good sense in a way, but the signs are certainly not good......

and are trying to use one they've mistreated as a makeweight

Danny - what possible reason have you got for saying that the management have "mistreated" Gow? Have you been at the training sessions and watched him playing in the reserves? As far as I can see he is a player who signed for a bigger club and hasn't made the grade. It happens to plenty of players, the only thing that is special about Gow is that he being offered in a transfer that many people on this forum don't want to go ahead. To say that he has been mistreated is rubbish.

You can't qualify your opposing argument in any way, so by your logic, your response is as much rubbish as my original comment.

Next you'll be saying Buffel has been mistreated.......

Your red rag cannot seduce me sire.

It is very tempting to slate WS after the disappointing end to the season, some of his tactics and team selections and the signing of K miller in particular and maybe Lafferty. Nevertherless he did a magnificent job last year with the talent in hand. Getting a team with Broadfoot, Whittaker, Daily, McCulloch to a European Final was simply amazing.

My take on this is that we must wait until the transfer window is over before casting judgment.

For now I am very anxious and cannot say I understand the current money spent on the three strikers.

I fully acknowledge that the football played last year was dire at times - a LOT of the time - but I have a feeling that we will be pleasantly surprised in the days and weeks ahead. WS must buy some creativity or promote it from the younger players.

So time will tell. Lets not be too miserable for now.

Cheer up!!

I dont trust him and a lot of my respect for him went when he brought Khenny Miller back to the club.

This summer he has a limited budget and will probably have to sell McGregor to raise funds. He is signing players that are within his budget. He has only got £6 million to spend plus who he sells

3 names, Khenny Miller, Andrius Velicka and Kyle Lafferty.

Now if this is his budget, then why is he wasting it on these three players?

If and a big if, he has only £6m plus what he takes in from the sale of players, then Murray should hang his head in shame after what we went through last season.

I do find the players we've brought in to be completely staggering.

I cannot understand what is happening at the club these days.

I want to trust and respect the man, but right now, I have to say I'm probably more in your boat Muff than the optimistic one.

It is very tempting to slate WS after the disappointing end to the season, some of his tactics and team selections and the signing of K miller in particular and maybe Lafferty. Nevertherless he did a magnificent job last year with the talent in hand. Getting a team with Broadfoot, Whittaker, Daily, McCulloch to a European Final was simply amazing.

My take on this is that we must wait until the transfer window is over before casting judgment.

For now I am very anxious and cannot say I understand the current money spent on the three strikers.

I fully acknowledge that the football played last year was dire at times - a LOT of the time - but I have a feeling that we will be pleasantly surprised in the days and weeks ahead. WS must buy some creativity or promote it from the younger players.

Cheer up!!

i would always say it was amazing to have reached a euro final, but never argue for a millisec that it was sheer luck and itll never happen like that again ie. playin the shitey football we did

Cheer up!!

i would always say it was amazing to have reached a euro final, but never argue for a millisec that it was sheer luck and itll never happen like that again ie. playin the shitey football we did

Yes amazing it truly was.

You can't qualify your opposing argument in any way, so by your logic, your response is as much rubbish as my original comment.

Don't try that argument if you libel someone Danny, unless you want to end up very poor. You stated that Gow had been mistreated but your argument is based on nothing at all other than the fact we haven't seen him much in the first team.

If you stated that Walter had been sexually abusing Gow and I put up a post saying that I didn't believe that to be the case I suppose you would just say the same thing then - that as I couldn't prove he hadn't my argument was no more valid than yours?

The management team which managed to get a very average group of players to the club's first European final in 36 years decided that Gow wasn't good enough to play in our first team - personally, I'll accept that. The fact that you think he should have been "given a chance" doesn't impress me and isn't evidence that he has been mistreated. No offence.

Don't try that argument if you libel someone Danny, unless you want to end up very poor.

I'll take them all...

You stated that Gow had been mistreated but your argument is based on nothing at all other than the fact we haven't seen him much in the first team.

Your argument that he hasn't been mistreated is purely on the grounds of you believing I'm wrong. It's less substantiated than my claim, which is based on his being signed by the current management yet never featuring except in the reserves and being overlooked at all times before being used as a makeweight. Yours is based on what, exactly?

If you stated that Walter had been sexually abusing Gow and I put up a post saying that I didn't believe that to be the case I suppose you would just say the same thing then - that as I couldn't prove he hadn't my argument was no more valid than yours?

I believe they call that the slippery slope fallacy old bean.

The management team which managed to get a very average group of players to the club's first European final in 36 years decided that Gow wasn't good enough to play in our first team - personally, I'll accept that.

You accept the Miller signing in equal faith I assume?

The fact that you think he should have been "given a chance" doesn't impress me and isn't evidence that he has been mistreated. No offence.

I think the evidence he's been mistreated is the fact he was highly impressive for Falkirk yet is the only Smith signing to be frozen out of the team since joining.

I don't give a crap if my comments 'don't impress' you - don't get sanctimonious on me.

No offence.

I trust and respect Walter Smith as a man and as Rangers manager. I always will.

How so many Bears can lose faith with a manager who has done so much for this club truly astounds me. Can no-one remember the complete and utter shambles that was masquerading as our 1st team when Walter took over from PLG?

75% of the transfer window still to come, and yet some are squealing like stuck pigs that we're f@cked already, he's spent our whole budget on 3 dodgy strikers, etc, etc, etc. doh