Is trust and respect for Smith starting to waiver?

Danny

I think we are more realistic now than we were were a few months ago. Sad to say but it's always worth remembering how poor Walter's European record was first time round despite him having a team of what would now be regarded as superstars.

Most folk I know are a bit concerned about Walter but its probably due to no high profile signings yet. As has been pointed out the transfer window has just opened. I hope to see at least a couple of quality midfielders signed but if not and we can perform with more flair I will be happy as I think most would be.

Most folk I know are a bit concerned about Walter but its probably due to no high profile signings yet. As has been pointed out the transfer window has just opened. I hope to see at least a couple of quality midfielders signed but if not and we can perform with more flair I will be happy as I think most would be.

Summed up well mate.

Obviously everyone at the club would get a boost if we can regain the title. If not, then even Smith's legendary status will come into even more severe questioning - along with others.

I remember some weeks back I started that poll which drew fire from all quarters - I asked if we were in favour of Smith or indeed against. I made the poll purely out of a need to respond to a number of threads which asked what manager we all wanted, as if Smith was not in favour any more.

The poll I made was overwhelmingly in favour of Smith, as I expected. Which kinda made the other threads odd but anyway.

In the last month, I get a real feeling of pessimism about the running of our club - from SDM to Bain to indeed Smith and hell, even Ally. These guys have signed the club's nemesis, have brought in potentially 2 further other strikers, and are trying to use one they've mistreated as a makeweight in a deal few of us even want to see happen - a £3M bid for a Burnley striker.

6 months ago we'd be all wishing Gow all the best but pleading with him to just go and re-vitalise his career.

Now we're actually 'using' Gow to get one over on Smith in light of recent feeling about things at the club.

This is an unheard of concept - Smith was the Messiah but is now being completely undermined by many fans who consider he hasn't a clue any more.

Since when would our fans EVER support a player over Walter Smith?

But it's happening now. And it's not even an especially important player.

Who would have imagined this?

on messageboards! Am sure he pays little heed to those, and, quite rightly so.

Clubs nemesis? Sorry, but, when has miller ever been THAT important?

Lack of respect for Smith, much like for Alex Ferguson, is a bizarre concept, they both deserve it, like them or not.

All that is happening, is the same at most clubs when they havent won the league, fans moaning and not being happy about signings or targets, same old same old

I think we are more realistic now than we were were a few months ago. Sad to say but it's always worth remembering how poor Walter's European record was first time round despite him having a team of what would now be regarded as superstars.

This worries me, because I felt we rode our luck a hell of a lot in Europe this season, a great adventure though!

However, not qualifying for the Champions league outright is a real worry for me. To be completely honest I don't know if I trust Walter to successfully negotiate us into the Champions league. I remember AEK Athens, Gothenburg, Grasshoppers, Famagusta, Steaua Bucharest, Strasbourg, Sparta Prague, etc.

is that not the job of the players on the field?

I know ultimately the manager is the figurehead, but, failure to win games rests with the players on the park 99% of the time. any Rangers player shoul be able to do the job, and, when they step over the line onto the field, and dont, then, that is down to them

This worries me, because I felt we rode our luck a hell of a lot in Europe this season, a great adventure though!

However, not qualifying for the Champions league outright is a real worry for me. To be completely honest I don't know if I trust Walter to successfully negotiate us into the Champions league. I remember AEK Athens, Gothenburg, Grasshoppers, Famagusta, Steaua Bucharest, Strasbourg, Sparta Prague, etc.

I know ultimately the manager is the figurehead, but, failure to win games rests with the players on the park 99% of the time. any Rangers player shoul be able to do the job, and, when they step over the line onto the field, and dont, then, that is down to them

with the majority of the players the manager signed and the tactics he plays <cr>

I remember some weeks back I started that poll which drew fire from all quarters - I asked if we were in favour of Smith or indeed against. I made the poll purely out of a need to respond to a number of threads which asked what manager we all wanted, as if Smith was not in favour any more.

The poll I made was overwhelmingly in favour of Smith, as I expected. Which kinda made the other threads odd but anyway.

In the last month, I get a real feeling of pessimism about the running of our club - from SDM to Bain to indeed Smith and hell, even Ally. These guys have signed the club's nemesis, have brought in potentially 2 further other strikers, and are trying to use one they've mistreated as a makeweight in a deal few of us even want to see happen - a £3M bid for a Burnley striker.

6 months ago we'd be all wishing Gow all the best but pleading with him to just go and re-vitalise his career.

Now we're actually 'using' Gow to get one over on Smith in light of recent feeling about things at the club.

This is an unheard of concept - Smith was the Messiah but is now being completely undermined by many fans who consider he hasn't a clue any more.

Since when would our fans EVER support a player over Walter Smith?

But it's happening now. And it's not even an especially important player.

Who would have imagined this?

on messageboards! Am sure he pays little heed to those, and, quite rightly so.

Clubs nemesis? Sorry, but, when has miller ever been THAT important?

Lack of respect for Smith, much like for Alex Ferguson, is a bizarre concept, they both deserve it, like them or not.

All that is happening, is the same at most clubs when they havent won the league, fans moaning and not being happy about signings or targets, same old same old

i think that your comparison between smith and ferguson is alittle whack.....if only smith had the managerial skills ferguson has, then there would be no lack of respect, not that i have noticed much of a lack for ferguson

with the majority of the players the manager signed and the tactics he plays <cr>

He hasn't finished in the transfer market and we don't know what tactics he'll use when trying to negotiate his way through the CL qualifiers.

He hasn't finished in the transfer market and we don't know what tactics he'll use when trying to negotiate his way through the CL qualifiers.

yeah fair enough........btu he didnt have to play that way last season, he chose to

yeah fair enough........btu he didnt have to play that way last season, he chose to

He played to the strengths of the players he had at his disposal. He had those particular players at his disposal because he needed to buy in bulk and wanted us to get back to basics - get back to winning games and being hard to beat.

Hard to beat yes, but unbeatable no, and frankly the amount of points we dropped away from home v the top six last year was a case in point, going by Selliks average points in recent years, they were about 12 point behind where they'd normally be, they were pish and frankly made our performance in the SPL look better than it really was. There is absolutely no fear factor induced by our team because apart from Hearts away we never threatened to give a team a sore face by skelping them, we were outplayed in many games and relied on Carlos, Weir and McGregor far far too often. We don;t have a player that puts the shitters up the opposition, we don;t have a player that makes defenders say aw fuck. We are boring and shite and frankly it is really depressing, we put far too much pressure on our defence by allowing opposition to dictate the play far too often.

Hard to beat yes, but unbeatable no, and frankly the amount of pints we dropped away from home v the top six last year was a case in point, going by Selliks average points in recent years, they were about 12 point behind where they'd normally be, they were pish and frankly made our performance in the SPL look better than it really was. There is absolutely no fear factor induced by our team because apart from Hearts away we never threatened to give a team a sore face by skelping them, we were outplayed in many games and relied on Carlos, Weir and McGregor far far too often. We don;t have a player that puts the shitters up the opposition, we don;t have a player that makes defenders say aw fuck. We are boring and shite and frankly it is really depressing, we put far too much pressure on our defence by allowing opposition to dictate the play far too often.

Yep, that's a pretty accurate assessment imo. No one can argue that we were pleasing on the eye or the dominant force that we are so accustomed to being. (tu)

However, I think some may have been expecting too much too soon. If you're being realistic, we had been pish for a few seasons before he came back. We were complete and utter guff last January and he's had to build from scratch. You can't expect him to come in, get rid of the guff, build a new squad, play amazing football and win every week straight away. Expectation is always high at our club and he realised he had to get results. I agree it wasn't pretty and there is a lot we can improve on. He knows we need quality and I think he'll try and bring some in. Hardly eye-catching signings so far, but I'll reserve judgement until he's finished wheeling and dealing at the end of August.

I would prefer to wait and see how we perform next season before laying into the man and questioning my trust and respect for him. I was pleased with the job he did last season and appreciate the reasons why we played the way we did. I wouldn't be so understanding if we see the same next season but am prepared to be patient and open-minded in the meantime.

lol I will piss my self if all these strikers start scoring for fun. That will shut you's up lol. Anyway why are you's all criticising the manager. If your a true supporter you shouldn't put as much pressure on the manager and new signings without giving them a chance. Come on lads, were not Celtic supporters.

Dummiesoot is correct about last season, but WS knows our deficiencies now. He will or should address them in the weeks ahead.

Lets be a little more patient. I think we will get some nice surprises.