Gers set to pay up Gow contract

This has been online for a few hours but look how amateurish the editing is, It repeats most of the content. I have italicised the repeat.

Gers set to pay up Gow contract

By Bert Mitchell and Darrell King

RANGERS were today ready to offer Alan Gow a financial sweetener so they can seal the signing of giant Burnley striker Kyle Lafferty.

SportTimes can reveal that Gow's agent, Phil McTaggart, held talks with Gers chief executive Martin Bain at Murray Park this morning.

On Tuesday, Rangers struck a £3million deal plus add-ons for Northern Ireland internationalist Lafferty, with Gow offered as a makeweight.

advertisement

But after a day-and-a half of intense talks the ex-Airdrie man - who is very keen on joining former Diamonds strike partner Owen Coyle at Turf Moor - could not agree personal terms.

Gow has two years of his Ibrox deal still to run and the Clarets wage offer is less than his current salary at Ibrox.

(the repeated bit starts here.)

It is believed Rangers will look at making up the difference with a compensation package, rather than halving to re-structure the deal for Lafferty with Gow out of the equation. That would mean Gers having to put around a further £500,000 into the offer to land the 20 year-old hitman Lafferty.

McTaggart confirmed today: "Progress has been made over Alan's situation and we are definitely heading towards a resolution of the situation. Obviously Alan still has two years left of his contract and that is something that has to be addressed.

"But Alan is aware that a move to Burnley offers him a great chance to get his career going again and it is something he is positive about given how well he knows Owen Coyle and Sandy Stewart. In that respect talks will continue today and I am positive that we can come to an agreement.

"But this is a very important stage in Alan's career and we have to make sure that if an agreement is reached it is right for Alan."

Lafferty agreed all aspects of his deal with Rangers and, from his holiday in Spain, admitted he was waiting by the phone to hear that his dream move had been sealed.

He said: "It's all up to Rangers and it's not yet been finalised. There are still aspects not involving me to be sorted out and I'll need to wait and see.

"I know this move will really further my career, so I hope it all gets sorted out soon."

While Lafferty's move is edging closer, the chances of close friend and international team-mate Steven Davis joining him are under threat.

Rangers have had a £3m offer rejected by Fulham for the player who was on loan in the second half of last season.

I understand that Smith is reluctant to pay more than that for the 23 year-old. Davis is desperate to make the deal permanent, but with Middlesbrough and other Premiership sides willing to match Fulham's price tag his dream move could collapse.

from back page and the Clarets' wage offer is less than his current salary at Ibrox.

It is believed Rangers will look at making up the difference with a compensation package, rather than having to restructure the deal for Lafferty with Gow out of the equation. That would mean Gers having to put around a further £500,000 into the offer to land the 20-year-old hitman Lafferty.

McTaggart confirmed today: "Progress has been made over Alan's situation and we are definitely heading towards a resolution of the situation. Obviously Alan still has two years left of his contract and that is something that has to be addressed.

"But Alan is aware that a move to Burnley offers him a great chance to get his career going again and it is something he is positive about given how well he knows Owen Coyle and Sandy Stewart.

"In that respect talks will continue today and I am positive that we can come to an agreement.

"But this is a very important stage in Alan's career and we have to make sure that if an agreement is reached it is right for Alan."

Lafferty agreed all aspects of his deal with Rangers and, from his holiday in Spain, admitted he was waiting by the phone to hear that his dream move had been sealed.

He said: "It's all up to Rangers and it's not yet been finalised. There are still aspects not involving me to be sorted out and I'll need to wait and see.

"I know this move will really further my career, so I hope it gets sorted soon."

While Lafferty's move is edging closer, the chances of close friend and international team-mate Steven Davis joining him are under threat.

Rangers have had a £3m offer rejected by Fulham for the player who was on loan in the second half of last season.

It's understood that Gers are reluctant to pay more than that for the 23-year-old. Davis is desperate to make the deal permanent, but with Middlesbrough and other English sides willing to match Fulham's price tag his dream move could collapse.

:D

Really don't have much love for Laffery but all the very best to the Gowser (tu)

Alan, one of several hard done to by the defensive and conservative nature of Walter Smith.

An ideal move, to a good club with coaching staff who can bring the best out in him.

This has been online for a few hours but look how amateurish the editing is, It repeats most of the content. I have italicised the repeat.

I know it's from the Evening Times but I think the Record is the worst for this kind of mistake. Fucking amateurish shite.

To think some arse is getting paid to put that on the internet for the world to see. doh

Bravo Rangers!

Another fine bit of business eh? :rolleyes:

Actually, I think it is.

We got Gow for nothing and now he's contributing £500k to £750k to the deal.

Add in a year's wage and that £100k could save us £1m. Feel free to subtract £250k for his one year of wages and use the lower figure for his part of hte Lafferty deal. It still makes us £400k over his time here.

Remember too that he made a small contribution in the cups, cost less than Riordan and Celtic offered him and £2.75m but couldn't tie up a deal.

Moaning might seem cathartic but the figures don't add up.

Bravo Rangers!

Another fine bit of business eh? :rolleyes:

Actually, I think it is.

We got Gow for nothing and now he's contributing £500k to £750k to the deal.

Add in a year's wage and that £100k could save us £1m. Feel free to subtract £250k for his one year of wages and use the lower figure for his part of hte Lafferty deal. It still makes us £400k over his time here.

Remember too that he made a small contribution in the cups, cost less than Riordan and Celtic offered him and £2.75m but couldn't tie up a deal.

Moaning might seem cathartic but the figures don't add up.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

A deal will be done and we will end up with Lafferty. Gow in his position must look after himself and Rangers have only themselves to blame. If he had been given more opportunities then his situation may have been different.

My real concern is Lafferty. Is he good enough? He did score a peach of a goal vs Sweden on U Tube where he looked mobile and had a good first touch. Other than that I really do not know. WGS wanted him and other managers seem to like him. Is he worth 3m +? That I do not know.

Im still annoyed that Walter never played Gow. Cant see why he wasnt used in some of the run-in games when we were struggling with injuries. I hope this all works out well for Gow now.

One things for sure Walter will continue with Lafferty no matter how he performs.

Im still annoyed that Walter never played Gow. Cant see why he wasnt used in some of the run-in games when we were struggling with injuries. I hope this all works out well for Gow now.

One things for sure Walter will continue with Lafferty no matter how he performs.

Well if he plays Miller and Lafferty together as strikers - I'll be pissed as I like a Boyd + Velicka combo much better.

Well if he plays Miller and Lafferty together as strikers - I'll be pissed as I like a Boyd + Velicka combo much better.

If it happens I can gaurantee you will not like a Boyd-Velicka partnership.

Think Boyd-Cousin together and thats pretty much what Boyd-Velicka will be.

As I recall, Velicka works much harder and has a better attitude.

As I recall, Velicka works much harder and has a better attitude.

My thoughts too.

A deal will be done and we will end up with Lafferty. Gow in his position must look after himself and Rangers have only themselves to blame. If he had been given more opportunities then his situation may have been different.

My real concern is Lafferty. Is he good enough? He did score a peach of a goal vs Sweden on U Tube where he looked mobile and had a good first touch. Other than that I really do not know. WGS wanted him and other managers seem to like him. Is he worth 3m +? That I do not know.

not worth that money at this moment in time. Certainly has bags of potential, if we were loaded i wouldnt have a problem spending money on him but we are not and that £3-4m will get you an experienced international player and thats where i would be spending the money. I think he could do very well up here but it might take him a while to adjust. Hes surprisingly good with the ball at his feet for a big guy and can turn very quickly. Not got the best goalscoring record as some people have pointed out but then thierry henry had a crap record untill he was 22 and went to arsenal and even super ally had a pish record at sunderland 8 in 50 odd games and we all know what he was like up here. I still think hes one for the future but would be happy if we signed him now as i can see us selling him for a big profit in years to come.

Not the best video but he scores a goal about 30 secs and another about 90secs in when he just turns quickly as the ball comes to him and he totally outsmarts the defender. It might be a small thing but its something we have lacked up front this season, also his second goal shows hes not afraid to shoot from outside the box and that is something we should be doing more often.

not worth that money at this moment in time. Certainly has bags of potential, if we were loaded i wouldnt have a problem spending money on him but we are not and that £3-4m will get you an experienced international player and thats where i would be spending the money. I think he could do very well up here but it might take him a while to adjust. Hes surprisingly good with the ball at his feet for a big guy and can turn very quickly. Not got the best goalscoring record as some people have pointed out but then thierry henry had a crap record untill he was 22 and went to arsenal and even super ally had a pish record at sunderland 8 in 50 odd games and we all know what he was like up here. I still think hes one for the future but would be happy if we signed him now as i can see us selling him for a big profit in years to come.

Not the best video but he scores a goal about 30 secs and another about 90secs in when he just turns quickly as the ball comes to him and he totally outsmarts the defender. It might be a small thing but its something we have lacked up front this season, also his second goal shows hes not afraid to shoot from outside the box and that is something we should be doing more often.

Maybe he'll only play in the first half, then.