Davie Weir Ready to Sign New Deal

Boab

Rangers veteran David Weir ready to extend Ibrox stay

Jun 19 2008

DAVIE WEIR will decide his Rangers future on Tuesday.

Record Sport understands the 38-year-old's agent Dave Lockwood has pencilled in that day for a crunch meeting with Walter Smith who is keen for the player to stay on.

And if Liverpool-based Lockwood makes the trip north for talks there is a 95 per cent chance Weir will remain at Ibrox for one more season.

Smith will sign him up on the understanding he doesn't play every week as he did in the last exhausting campaign.

The former Hearts and Everton man wants to extend his career for another 12 months even if he stays down south where his family are based.

"He has been linked with a move to Preston, managed by close friend and former Everton coach Alan Irvine, but Smith is ready to persuade him to remain at Ibrox.

Scotland boss George Burley also wants the veteran centre-half as part of his squad for the World Cup qualifiers.

The 61-times capped Hall of Fame star returned from a family holiday on Sunday night and has spent the past few days discussing his next move at his home on Merseyside.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20613061/

There is no author to the story or quotes and it is the Record but its more than we've heard.

tbh his form started to deteriorate quite badly towards the end of last season. We were forced to sit back far to deep because of his lack of pace, and this cost us in the end imo. If he signs he should be used more sparingly next year.

tbh his form started to deteriorate quite badly towards the end of last season. We were forced to sit back far to deep because of his lack of pace, and this cost us in the end imo. If he signs he should be used more sparingly next year.

With the amount of fixtures we have to undergo, it's no small wonder his form dipped. Still, I'd be glad to see him sign on for another term.

If he signs then he should be used as a squad player and not as a 1st team regular.

We cant afford to defend on the 18 yard line all season again, or if we do then we have to get two quality, quick wing backs in.

davie weir done well for us last year , but his distribution is one of the main reasons we miss out the midfied , also i would prefer to see a younger and faster CH , he was getting caught for pace in several games last season

he would be a good player coach , and back up for the 1st team

davie weir done well for us last year , but his distribution is one of the main reasons we miss out the midfied , also i would prefer to see a younger and faster CH , he was getting caught for pace in several games last season

he would be a good player coach , and back up for the 1st team

Agreed, Davie's humps up the pitch are atrocious. This is why Barry should be back the holding role taking the ball from the defense and dicatating play, even more so due to him getting older and losing a bit of pace. Enough of this attacking midfielder nonsense.

Dave Weir has done great for Rangers, But he should be nowhere near the team next year

When Weir plays we sit too deep, invite teams on to us and cant press teams hight up the park in fear of them getting inbehind.

Useful backup, but we need youth and a bit of pace which will make the world of difference

I think this season will be a season too far for Davie and im a fan of the man, he got caught out too much from december onwards, i think its time to go shopping for his replacement now and leave it to late imo

Why not just sign a good able defender to partner Cuellar. Weir is good at the basics, any defender worth their weight should be.....

We play far too deep with him and his distrubition is woeful, if we sign him i hope hes for squad depth not a first team player....

I'll be the first to admit that i wasnt too happy when Big Davie signed but he was a tremendous signing. Had a cracking season overall.

However we need someone else to partner Cuellar on a regular basis and Weir would be a great backup to have.

Although he reads the game really well, his pace cost us goals and games towards the end of the season.

I wonder if Webster ever gets fit if WS sees him as Cuellar's defensive partner

Rangers defender David Weir is poised to sign a new one-year contract this week with manager Walter Smith convinced the veteran can perform at the highest level for at least another campaign.

The 38-year-old former Everton centre-back was a key member of the Rangers side who came up just short of a four-trophy season and the club are eager to keep him on board.

Weir played 60 club matches last season, establishing an instant understanding with Spaniard Carlos Cuellar, and was also a regular in Scotland's Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Completing negotiations with the experienced Weir should be among the more straightforward tasks Rangers face this summer.

If he does sign then he should only be used as back-up or we'll continue to defend on the 18 yard line, play with 2 defensive midfielders, punt the ball from the back and give away far too much possession.

Tho I see our manager playing him regularly.