At Least We Have Options Now

It's a desperate attempt to be positive, but looking at our potential options to play upfront next year, it seems that we actually have a few now.

Last season it was difficult to say we had a lot of options as JCD couldn't stay fit, Cousin wasn't interested from December and onwards, Novo was playing all over the shop and for whatever reason Walter didn't fancy Boyd all that much.

Hell at one point Walter even decided that after spending the majoirty of his time away from Scotland as a midfielder that he would try and make McCulloch a forward again.

However looking at our new pool of Boyd, Miller, Velicka & probably Lafferty I think we have the various options we will need.

Obviously a Boyd-Miller partnership has been talked about loads already. Miller could act as the workhorse, while Boyd focuses on doing what he does best, sticking them away.

Miller acting as a workhorse could also work in Europe where we will probably revert to the 4-5-1 again. Like him or not, he's consistantly done the role well for Scotland and I see no reason why he can't do it again for us.

Moving on it could be that Walter sees Miller as Lafferty's "Healy". Lafferty, although young, has played his best football for his country and just yesterday Sanchez actually credited Lafferty's role in Healy scoring so many goals. Could we see a Miller-Lafferty or a big man, little man partnership on occassions?

Then you have a potential Boyd & Lafferty partnership. We always talk about how Boyd needs a player like McCoist needed Hateley. Could Walter see Lafferty as that man?

Sure Lafferty isn't as good in the air, but he's pretty mobile for a big guy and he could be a good foil for Boyd.

On top of this you have Velicka who is also a regular goalscorer, and not afraid to hit a ball from 30 yards. he too could play with any of the three mentioned.

It's impossible to predict how we will play, but like I said atleast we have options now.

If Rangers get the right balance in midfield then I think the majority of the SPL games are going to be 4-4-2, and Boyd will have a bigger part to play next season. There has been the usual rumour control that because of all these strikers coming in then Boyd will be leaving, I don't think there is any truth in that rumour but what we'll find is Boyd being a partner for one of the other strikers.

We dont have options

We couldnt play 4-4-2 last season, because of the fullbacks and midfield, they havent changed any.

We need to bring in some quality or nothing will change

^ Are you muff is disguise doh

We dont have options

We couldnt play 4-4-2 last season, because of the fullbacks and midfield, they havent changed any.

^ Are you muff is disguise doh

Are you deluded doh

We dont have options

We played 4-4-2 in most of the SPL games. The odd 4-3-3 and a few 4-5-1's.

Where do you get this "couldn't play 4-4-2" nonsense. doh

You know what.

I think IF we can keep Boyd - we have an excellent balance of decent players in attack.

Boyd - Poacher/Goalscorer - International Experience

Miller - Pace/Industry - International Experience

Velicka - Strength/Aerial Ability - International Experience

Lafferty - Touch/Height - International Experience

Obviously I expect JCD and Cousin to both move on.

You know what.

I think IF we can keep Boyd - we have an excellent balance of decent players in attack.

Have to say i agree here, and by looks of it i think Boyd will be kept.

Although we need a couple of players in other positions im sure we will get them...

There's no doubt we also still need to strengthen in other areas but the outlook isn't as bleak as is being painted by some.

At least we're doing our business quickly and efficiently. Just another 2 or 3 players required now but I guess we may need the dead wood moved on first. Unfortunately that might not be so easy.

You know what.

You forget Velicka has a pretty high goal scoring ratio also.

At the start of last season we had Gow, Buffel, Cousin, JCD, Novo, Boyd.

Now we have Boyd, Novo, Lafferty, Velicka, Cousin, JCD and Miller.

Having options is nothing new.

It's having a manager who will use them all. That would be new.

We dont have options

We played 4-4-2 in most of the SPL games. The odd 4-3-3 and a few 4-5-1's.

Where do you get this "couldn't play 4-4-2" nonsense. doh

Almost every time we played 4-4-2, we got over run and dropped points.

Hibs, Motherwell, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen all spring to mind

The favourite formation in the SPL was 4-5-1