Gow to stay

JR

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/2008/06...86908-20614520/

Gow rejected the chance of a move to the Championship with Owen Coyle's side and elected to fight for his place at Ibrox after only two first-team starts in a year.

After hours of negotiating yesterday, Gow's agent Phil McTaggart admitted a deal couldn't be struck to convince the player to join up with Burnley boss Coyle.

McTaggart said: "Alan will be back at Rangers next season and will report for pre-season training next Wednesday to try and force his way into Walter Smith's plans.

"There has been a great deal of talk about Alan leaving but he's opted to remain where he is and prove himself after a disappointing first season at the club.

"He had two years left on his contract and has the belief he can still be a success as a Rangers player."

Not sure it's a good thing for him professionally but I wish him luck.

From the same paper who yesterday were saying the Lafferty deal could fall through because Gow wouldn't sign for Burnely. <_<

If he does stay to fight for a place, then hopefully he'll be given a chance to prove himself.

I share your thoughts on the rag in question - I only posted it because it quotes the player's Agent.

As for the chance - I don't know. I really hope this gives him a kick up the arse and he applies himself so well that Smith can't ignore him...something he should've done last term, but I just don't see it.

I never want to see a Rangers player fail, so I wish him nothing but the best - but I fear he is delaying the inevitable.

At the end of the day it's up to Gow. I don't blame the lad for wanting more try to impress at the club he supported as a lad.

Unfortunately, given the problems we had with fixture congestion and no creativity last season, and the fact he still couldn't break into the squad (never mind the first XI), I sincerely doubt he'll manage it this term.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see staying being a good thing for him. Of course, it's just as likely that he'd prefer to remain in Scotland and knows that other teams (such as 'Well, Dundee Utd, Hibs and Hearts) are all interested in him.

He's not good enough so he'll remain in the reserves where he fails to deliver!

Probably.

I also don't think his staying at Rangers is as concrete as is being made out - an offer from an SPL team may change things.

Probably.

I also don't think his staying at Rangers is as concrete as is being made out - an offer from an SPL team may change things.

Can maybe see him being involved in a bid for someone like Christophe Berra?

Dundee United were interested but if Burnley offer him less than what we did then there is no chance of them being able to afford him.

I suppose it depends on what sort of money he is on. Would he want to take a substantial wage cut to move to a lesser team? I think if a team could match his wages, and offer him regular football, then he'd be off.

Well I guess he will be staying, picking up his wages, and unless he changes his attitude and learns to work for his fellow players he will have a hard job trying to force his way into the reserve team.

hes better than a lot of players who play in the first team.

Obviously the management dont think that.

hes better than a lot of players who play in the first team.

He's not as good as some in the Reserves.

Interesting to see that now we've signed Lafferty, a lot of folk are no longer telling Gow to stay as they were before...

I didnt want Lafferty and I hoped that with Gow rejecting them, then there might of been a small chance of the deal falling through. I was wrong. Gow is never going to get a game so he' best of leaving.

From the same paper who yesterday were saying the Lafferty deal could fall through because Gow wouldn't sign for Burnely. <_<

If he does stay to fight for a place, then hopefully he'll be given a chance to prove himself.

I share your thoughts on the rag in question - I only posted it because it quotes the player's Agent.

As for the chance - I don't know. I really hope this gives him a kick up the arse and he applies himself so well that Smith can't ignore him...something he should've done last term, but I just don't see it.

I never want to see a Rangers player fail, so I wish him nothing but the best - but I fear he is delaying the inevitable.

Ah, is he doing a Bobo? Knowing he wont play so, going to sit there and take the coin? yippee

Those who go to reserve games could give the reason for his lack of first team chances;he is a player who has been hopeless in the spl reserve league and who makes Cousin look like a hyped up,smiling, workalholic.

You're not the first to accuse him of that...and perhaps his lack of First Squad involvement means that you have a view shared with those in a position to decide.

This "he should get a chance" nonsense has to stop - he, like Buffel et al, get "their chance" everytime they pull on a Rangers Reserve jersey - it's up to them to make it impossible for the management to ignore them.

He may be technically better than Adam or Burke but it's not all about ability - those two at least roll their sleeves up in the Reserves and give Walter options, obviously Gow does not.

It's not as cut and dry as that obviously, Buffel being a prime example - whom apparently plays well for the Reserves yet is still outcast.

It could just be that we got Gow for nothing - Walter has had a good long look at him and thinks he's not for us.

Either way, Gow's future is in his own hands.