Squad depth or a change in formation?

Danny

With 3 new strikers, are we intending to use a more adventurous formation - 4-3-3 etc, or are the enhancements more about squad depth and options?

thomson, ferguson and davis should really be able to hold a midfield on their on but we would still lack that creative spark unless davis can provide it through the middle and he does have those aspects of his game as we saw a few times

I think that only two of the three will be used as strikers.

I can see Lafferty being used in the "McCulloch" role, out left and winning headers. He's a bit more mobile out there too.

I do think we'll see a more traditional 4-4-2 in the SPL though.

I can see Lafferty being used in the "McCulloch" role, out left and winning headers. He's a bit more mobile out there too.

By all accounts he's not as good in the air as we might hope - perhaps Mhiller and Lafferty would be better running off Boyds flick ons...?

By all accounts he's not as good in the air as we might hope - perhaps Mhiller and Lafferty would be better running off Boyds flick ons...?

hes not great in the air to be honest. At least not as good as you would expect for such a big guy. Then again hes got much quicker feet and better first touch than you expect for a big guy as well. Lafferty over mcculloch for me anyday, at least lafferty has some skill.

Lafferty is obviously going to fill the Gow role whatever Walter imagined that to be. At the moment I think we will go with last seasons formation. If we sign some creative midfielders we may go with a different formation.

what id like to see;

_____________McGregor____________

Whittaker___Cuellar___Weir___Papac

_____________Ferguson____________

_________Davis___Thomson________

Miller______________________Beasley

_______Velicka/Boyd/Lafferty_______

Red = would like to see replaced

Davis I wouldnt mind keeping, 4m though? we can do better.

Id like to think well play a hell of alot more attacking football next season.

1-5-4

Ceullar

Novo Davis Ferguson Thomson Mcculloch

Lafferty Miller Vellika Boyd

:lol: But DMB instead of McCulloch

Different formations for different games I think, the used last season 4-5-1 for certain games in the SPL/Domestic Cups and Europe and a more traditional 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 for the majority of the other games.

With 3 new strikers, are we intending to use a more adventurous formation - 4-3-3 etc, or are the enhancements more about squad depth and options?

Both.

I think we will see a change in formation to mostly a 4-4-2 in the SPL. Something along the lines of...

McGregor

Whittaker Cuellar ? Papac

? Ferguson Thomson Lafferty

Boyd Miller

Velicka will be a squad player, I think.

If Lafferty is played on the left then it will of been a complete and utter waste of money along with being a pointless signing.

That sort of money could of bought you a quality left sided midfielder/winger. Surely our manager isn't that blind, that when watching Lafferty for Burnley out there that he contributed next to nothing?

Play him upfront or dont play him at all.

I really hope Walter buys at a minimum a quality RB, CB, RW and at least one attacking midfielder.

I too like S Davis - but in the middle and not for 4m.

I think we play either Ferguson OR Thomson in a holding role.

Then we add a new RW and an attacking midfielder.

I would like to see a midfield where the holding player is Ferguson/Thomson; a new RW; a new attacking midfielder; and DMB on the left wing.

Two strikers up front being Boyd plus a n other. (Lafferty is not a midfielder.)

If we play one up front then lets get another new attacking midfielder.

I really do not want to see Whittaker, Daily, Hemdani, Adam or McCulloch starting in midfield as they are just not good enough.

I would far rather see Furman and or Fleck play. I hope WS gives some playing time to our youngsters this season.