rangers and the orange order

minstral

Perhaps I should clarify myself here. While I hope through time the orange link should diminish, I do recognise that the Orange Order are a legal organisation and have played a large part in Irish history and have members in the professions in Ulster, whether they have that representation in Scotland, I am not so sure.

However that Orange link brings with it the utter vermin that can be seen at the side of the streets watching orange walks drinking, swearing, giving it FTP, No Pope of Rome, real hate filled lunatics and that element attaches itself to Rangers. The same element that let us down in Manchester, that element I am sure both Rangers and the Orange order would want to eliminate.

That said that link gives Rangers problems, no doubt about it.

We were let down by Manchester City Council & attacked by Greater Manchester Police. How does that link in with ones feelings,either way, towards the followers of the Church of Rome?

Pretty tenuous link as far as i can see.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but isn't the OO actively trying to clean up its image in that department. I also believe that the bands sometimes aren't even aligned to a lodge.

I'll admit I'm not too up to date on what they are doing, just going by what I've seen. So if that is the case, fair play to them (tu):crabflute:

Rangers don't need to align themselves with any religious organization and nor should they in these modern times. However a sizable chunk of the support would like to continue celebrating that aspect of our past. Anyone who tries to deny them that right is guilty of exactly what they accuse the traditionalists of.

Spot on.

20 pager? :D

Pessimist.

davy you and jim are spot on, as i said in my post, but people dont like the fact that we were connected at one time, just like they dont like our protestant traditions but must face facts i can feel a 20 pager coming on. :lol:

our traditions will always be there just like septics

only difference is we are deemed sectarian for ours

work that one out lol

just reading friedmarsbar on another thread, asking if orangeisim should be part of following rangers, of course not, but he cant deny that rangers have been connected to the orange order. first of all the orange order had thousands of shares in our club, plus allowed the orange order annual sunday service to use ibrox every year. then if you visit the trophy room at ibrox go to the first cabinet on your right, near where the bike is and you will find a bowl presented by the orange order to our club. so i would suggest rangers must be proud of their connection with the orange order, and if not why have the bowl on display.

Allowed, does tht mean we dont allow them anymore? :P

And what is the annual sunday service? is it a big thing :)

A man with your avatar should know this already.

Lol I just like Sash Gordon :lol:

I join next year, when my dads Grandmaster or sumfin? :P

Not sure about all the ins and outs of it, hense why i asked :)

if u dont want to tell me then fine :harhar: <_< lol

If your that interested, then why havn't you find out by now :harhar:

when rangers allowed the orange order the use of our ground, it was all hymns that were sung and nothing else.

yip i can verify that

rangers wanted to distance themselves from so called sectarianism

and were put under pressure to stop the ibrox church parade

they came up with the excuse that ibrox was not allowed to be used for any public event, concert etc

i dont really have a problem with fans who make a link between the OO and rangers, if people have been brought up that way then its fine, remember for a long time club the club had no problem with it either, yet they wonder why the cant shake it off. Each to their own. I know theres still 2 photos o the queen in the dressing room, but I suppose thats another subject

Don't live their any more I'm afraid - Most your family are in the Orange Order but you don't recall No Pope Of Rome being played...But I could do with a new camcorder all the same (tu)

you missunderstood my post mate i know that gets played cause i will make a point of going up to watch any parade thats passing the paisley road

i was meaning you would have a great vantage point for filming it

Didn't know about the bowl minstral.

Like kpl, I personally have no problems whatsoever in having any links with the OO. Being a former member I can honestly say they are a fine fraternity of men, and women. However, I do understand and accept that RFC do not wish to have such links nowadays. I can remember reading some years ago that the OO were selling their shares in RFC but I can't remember the reasons for them doing so.

I think that those amongst us who wish to remember the links should rightly continue doing so but also recognise the fact that the two glorious institutions are seperate, even though the majority of the OO membership are more than likely also RFC fans. This does not mean that we (those that are inclined) as RFC fans need to forget our Unionist and/or Loyalist beliefs.

Going forward, I would like to see the OO being more proactive in encouraging new members and also encouraging lapsed members to return to the fold. The Order's belief system is Christian, Protestant, patriotic and fraternal. Anyone who feels ashamed of or disgusted by such a system, is nothing short of intolerant themselves, imo.

Bottom line I suppose is, RFC and the OO are two seperate institutions that need to progess independently of each other.

GSTQ and RFC.

Like kpl, I personally have no problems whatsoever in having any links with the OO. Being a former member I can honestly say they are a fine fraternity of men, and women. However, I do understand and accept that RFC do not wish to have such links nowadays. I can remember reading some years ago that the OO were selling their shares in RFC but I can't remember the reasons for them doing so.

I think that those amongst us who wish to remember the links should rightly continue doing so but also recognise the fact that the two glorious institutions are seperate, even though the majority of the OO membership are more than likely also RFC fans. This does not mean that we (those that are inclined) as RFC fans need to forget our Unionist and/or Loyalist beliefs.

Going forward, I would like to see the OO being more proactive in encouraging new members and also encouraging lapsed members to return to the fold. The Order's belief system is Christian, Protestant, patriotic and fraternal. Anyone who feels ashamed of or disgusted by such a system, is nothing short of intolerant themselves, imo.

Bottom line I suppose is, RFC and the OO are two seperate institutions that need to progess independently of each other.

GSTQ and RFC.

Excellent post Eastcoastbear. :unionflag:

GSTQ and RFC.

:clap:

Though I have respect for the OO it's something I could never be part of as I simply don't believe in any form of religion. Richard Dawkins is God in my opinion

P.S. Anyone else think of a pair of boobies when 'OO' is posted?

GSTQ and RFC.

:clap:

Though I have respect for the OO it's something I could never be part of as I simply don't believe in any form of religion. Richard Dawkins is God in my opinion

P.S. Anyone else think of a pair of boobies when 'OO' is posted?

Ya pervy heathen!! ;)

Minstral and some of the older bears are right.

We are a football club, that was founded by protestants. We have had (and mainly still have) a protestant majority of fans.

The history of our links with Northern Ireland etc. were inherited because of the fans who followed us from there.

They brought their views and the club embraced them, it gave us an identity that was second to none. We had a unity amongst fans.

Now sadly we are cracking down on our heritage, but the original legacy of our club will always stand. Some fans may still embrace our origins, others may dumb them down. But if you are a true fan, the least you can do is to respect them :rangers:

Minstral and some of the older bears are right.

We are a football club, that was founded by protestants. We have had (and mainly still have) a protestant majority of fans.

The history of our links with Northern Ireland etc. were inherited because of the fans who followed us from there.

They brought their views and the club embraced them, it gave us an identity that was second to none. We had a unity amongst fans.

Now sadly we are cracking down on our heritage, but the original legacy of our club will always stand. Some fans may still embrace our origins, others may dumb them down. But if you are a true fan, the least you can do is to respect them :rangers:

good post mate, we should never be ashamed of what we are. (tu)

Some fans may still embrace our origins, others may dumb them down. But if you are a true fan, the least you can do is to respect them :rangers:

Absolutely spot on mate.

just reading friedmarsbar on another thread, asking if orangeisim should be part of following rangers, of course not, but he cant deny that rangers have been connected to the orange order. first of all the orange order had thousands of shares in our club, plus allowed the orange order annual sunday service to use ibrox every year. then if you visit the trophy room at ibrox go to the first cabinet on your right, near where the bike is and you will find a bowl presented by the orange order to our club. so i would suggest rangers must be proud of their connection with the orange order, and if not why have the bowl on display.

Allowed, does tht mean we dont allow them anymore? :P

And what is the annual sunday service? is it a big thing :)

A man with your avatar should know this already.

Lol I just like Sash Gordon :lol:

I join next year, when my dads Grandmaster or sumfin? :P

Not sure about all the ins and outs of it, hense why i asked :)

if u dont want to tell me then fine :harhar: <_< lol

Ofcourse it is my friend, that is what the whole orange order is about and is what we stand for, protestantism.

This is why i hate seeing people from within the lodge who just pay there dues every month and only turn up the first few meetng before the boyne celebrations in july.

Agreed, but isn't the OO actively trying to clean up its image in that department. I also believe that the bands sometimes aren't even aligned to a lodge.

I'll admit I'm not too up to date on what they are doing, just going by what I've seen. So if that is the case, fair play to them (tu):crabflute:

No you never get bands walking without a lodge, it is that hard to get a band as the glasgow and lanarkshire walks are on the same day.

You often find that 2 or even 3 lodges walk with 1 band as there is just not enough to go around without having to splash out on thousands to bring one from over by.

No you never get bands walking without a lodge, it is that hard to get a band as the glasgow and lanarkshire walks are on the same day.

You often find that 2 or even 3 lodges walk with 1 band as there is just not enough to go around without having to splash out on thousands to bring one from over by.

So in that regard are the bands linked to the lodges?

So in that regard are the bands linked to the lodges?

yes you will often see the men in the bands walking with ther collerate's (sash's) on top of there band uniform.

Most lodges stick with the same band every year, when possible.

i think we had players who were members of the orange lodge many years ago.

i dont know for fact but i would think it was more than likely that we have had players who are in the orange through the years.

Was it the masons or the OO that big Dunc was blackballed from joining?

Was it the masons or the OO that big Dunc was blackballed from joining?

Bobby Shearer was an Orangeman, I believe.

Big Dunc was blackballed from the Masons.

rangers must be proud of their connection with the orange order

The fact that the steps Rangers have taken in recent years to eradicate problems with in our support - I doubt that Rangers would be happy to be linked with the Orange Order in the way we used to be. The bowl is part of history.

But to link ourselves with a group who openly denounce catholics, is taken a step backwards.

Not a member of the Orange Order but can you give me a link or qutoe where they do so?

Not doubting it, I just always thought that they existed to celebrate the reformation

I believed they were established to protect Protestant communities in Ireland from sectarian attacks and were more about standing up for their right to believe in a more advanced form of Christianity despite the tyranny of Rome.

Ironically, the Pope was actually on the same side as William in 1690.

I do believe their role in our club has diminished with the "secularisation of society" (Cheers Andy) and I think that's right.

I don't deny the past, but I'd rather have kept the Billy Boys than the Sash.

I'm not a fan of orange strips either, but I don't resent and fan's right to identify with them andthe OO.

However, I also expect my right not to be a lodge follower respected.

rangers must be proud of their connection with the orange order

The fact that the steps Rangers have taken in recent years to eradicate problems with in our support - I doubt that Rangers would be happy to be linked with the Orange Order in the way we used to be. The bowl is part of history.

But to link ourselves with a group who openly denounce catholics, is taken a step backwards.

Not a member of the Orange Order but can you give me a link or qutoe where they do so?

Not doubting it, I just always thought that they existed to celebrate the reformation

Lived on Dumbarton Road for near on 2 years, so heard many,many an Orange March go past my windows, with No Pope Of Rome being given laldy - Strikes me as pretty anti-catholic.

I think they could validly argue that it's anti-Catholicism rather than anti-Catholic, but I take your point.