Hiddink vs Walter

vasily09

Yeah becuase we have players who possess the brillanct attacking ability of Arshavin, Anyuklov, Pavlyuchenko & Zhirkov don't we :rolleyes:

even if we had those players walter would still be negative. :lol:

I think Walter would play McCulloch over Arshavin

Don't see eye to eye with you on many subjects but on this I agree wholeheartedly.

McCulloch's automatic inclusion in the team and the lengths Smith will go to accomodate him are quite bizarre

Have to admit, when rumors of a 15 million pound kitty are flying around, I cringe. I simply do not trust Walter with that kind of money

last season is all ifs and buts ffs its over

lets see wot this season brings

the cause of many a sleepless night in the past 3 weeks.

Yeah becuase we have players who possess the brillanct attacking ability of Arshavin, Anyuklov, Pavlyuchenko & Zhirkov don't we :rolleyes:

Don't see eye to eye with you on many subjects but on this I agree wholeheartedly.

McCulloch's automatic inclusion in the team and the lengths Smith will go to accomodate him are quite bizarre

especially in the UEFA Cup Final , when he was brought on as a sub

Hiddink learnt his lesson in the Russia vs Spain game

He went defensive and got pumped.

He decided to play to his teams strengths and they have now reached the Semi finals.

He is not scared to change things and will never sit on a lead. The best form of defence is ATTACK!

In an interview after beating Holland yesterday

"We were scared of the Dutch and when you are scared, there is only one thing to do - Attack!!"

Now - are you listening Walter?

We Fear None though :unionflag:

No but we've spent £6.5m+ on shite when it could of been used to buy an attacking minded player like a winger or attacking central midfielder. The type of player we have been crying out for, for years.

And before anyone jumps and says anything like they cost too much, Andreas Ivanschitz has just joined Panathinaikos on a permanent deal for 1.5m euros!

We just dont have the scouts, ability or knowledge to find these players and act.

especially in the UEFA Cup Final , when he was brought on as a sub

Where there's a will....

To be fair, Walter said last year was all about rebuilding -- and in that sense we de. overachieved. A UEFA Cup final with that squad? Not too bad imho.

For me.. THIS is the year and Walter has signaled his intentions so far wiht buying 3 strikers (ok.. quality remains to be seen).. But I believe the intentions are there.

Also,, Wattie took Scotland from the MID-80's in the FIFA rankings into the top 20. That is a very impressive stat as well. He gave the nation its respect back. So.. let's not just say Walter is too negative at the momen (last year he was... agreed)..... Let's see what this year brings?

To be fair, Walter said last year was all about rebuilding -- and in that sense we de. overachieved. A UEFA Cup final with that squad? Not too bad imho.

For me.. THIS is the year and Walter has signaled his intentions so far wiht buying 3 strikers (ok.. quality remains to be seen).. But I believe the intentions are there.

Also,, Wattie took Scotland from the MID-80's in the FIFA rankings into the top 20. That is a very impressive stat as well. He gave the nation its respect back. So.. let's not just say Walter is too negative at the momen (last year he was... agreed)..... Let's see what this year brings?

So what you're saying is, judge him on this, and not, last season?

I'd say so.... I think last year took us (well me anyway) by surprise... I seriously hope to see much better football this year. If not.. then thanks Walter.. but time to go.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if last year took WS by surprise as well -- and he simply thought this is a winning formula? But... our performances were very poor. Without McShagger and the King... last year could have been a disaster. but.. I'm willing to keep the faith in Walter (for now...).

We need to attack in every match in the SPL -- including against them as well. Absolutely no reason not to.

Again WS worked a miracle taking this lot to a UEFA Final. Broadfoot, Adam, Whittaker, McCulloch, Daily, et all. Really!!

Some of the football was dire but the tactics won in the end.

This year is different. He can bring in good players. He can improve the team. HE said he would add quality. Let us see.

I will be patient, but the signings so far leave me scratching my head.

Patience is a virtue. I am patient for now.

Hiddink has won 6 league titles, 4 dutch cups and 1 european cup with PSV, plus 2 4th place finishes in the world cup.

Smith has won 7 league titles, 4 scottish cups and 4 league cups with Rangers, plus a UEFA cup runners up place.

[boldTheir records aren't all that different[/bold], its the manner that they have gone about picking up those honours that are chalk and cheese.

Hiddink's record is way superior to Smith's. You also forgot to mention Hiddink took Australia to round two of the World Cup. Frankly there is no comparrison between the two as the Dutchman is one of the World's greats.

I think without McGregor and Cuellar.possibly Weir and Thomson to a certain extent then last season could have been awful.

What amazes me is walter will stick with slow cumbersome untalented players like Adam,Broadfoot and McCulloch yet leaves players like Buffel,Boyd,Novo,Naismith and Furman either in the stand or on the bench.

Hiddink would have chased the previous 3 a long time ago cos he likes football players and those 3 are not.

For me Hiddink is Man Utd to Walters Alloa

In an interview after beating Holland yesterday

"We were scared of the Dutch and when you are scared, there is only one thing to do - Attack!!"

Now - are you listening Walter?

makes perfect feckin sense

i have always advocated that rangers should always play attacking fotoball :rangers:

Hiddink has won 6 league titles, 4 dutch cups and 1 european cup with PSV, plus 2 4th place finishes in the world cup.

Smith has won 7 league titles, 4 scottish cups and 4 league cups with Rangers, plus a UEFA cup runners up place.

[boldTheir records aren't all that different[/bold], its the manner that they have gone about picking up those honours that are chalk and cheese.

Hiddink's record is way superior to Smith's. You also forgot to mention Hiddink took Australia to round two of the World Cup. Frankly there is no comparrison between the two as the Dutchman is one of the World's greats.

No comparison at all. Hiddink, realistically, could get any vacant job in world football, and has proven himself over time to be one of the very top coaches in the world. For Smith, Rangers or bottom half of the Premiership is about as high as he can realistically aim. That says all you need to know about their comparative stock. It's also worth noting that Smith had a major financial advantage over everyone else in Scotland during his first stint, and Celtic were languishing mid-table for his first few seasons.

I know Smith performed a minor miracle in getting us to a UEFA cup final, however there is no denying we rode our luck big time, if we replayed that UEFA cup season another 20 times with the same level/style of performances, do you think we'd get to the final again?

Hiddink on the other hand, generally gets results on good performances (and obviously a wee slice of luck thrown in at times too), but the biggest difference is that his teams always seem to leave an impression with how well they play.

hiddink would be offered a job vacant or not

the man knows his footy, class personified, always plays attacking football

And that is why Walter has never made it to the top of his profession, why he has always and always will fall short

How many titles? Cups? Eufa final? Cheated by Marseille out of a CL final? Resurrected Scotland? And the biggie for me - manager of The Rangers. Where could he have gone that would have seen him 'top of is profession'?

Smith isn't perfect, but he's been a damn fine manager for Rangers over his time

Having said that, if he doesn't deliver the title this coming season, his tea will be oot methinks.

And that is why Walter has never made it to the top of his profession, why he has always and always will fall short

How many titles? Cups? Eufa final? Cheated by Marseille out of a CL final? Resurrected Scotland? And the biggie for me - manager of The Rangers. Where could he have gone that would have seen him 'top of is profession'?

Smith isn't perfect, but he's been a damn fine manager for Rangers over his time

Having said that, if he doesn't deliver the title this coming season, his tea will be oot methinks.

i cannot make sense to your post.

Watty is at the top of his profession. Mgr of Rangers to nine in a row, Mgr of Scotland, assisted Sir Alex Ferguson, Mgr of Everton came back and managed rangers to a european final

how much more can the man achieve.

Do you want him to bleed blue blood.?

i cannot make sense to your post.

Watty is at the top of his profession. Mgr of Rangers to nine in a row, Mgr of Scotland, assisted Sir Alex Ferguson, Mgr of Everton came back and managed rangers to a european final

how much more can the man achieve.

Do you want him to bleed blue blood.?

It would probably be the wrong shade of blue for some on here. :craphead:

No but we've spent £6.5m+ on shite when it could of been used to buy an attacking minded player like a winger or attacking central midfielder. The type of player we have been crying out for, for years.

And before anyone jumps and says anything like they cost too much, Andreas Ivanschitz has just joined Panathinaikos on a permanent deal for 1.5m euros!

We just dont have the scouts, ability or knowledge to find these players and act.

:craphead: One could argue, we DID buy attacking players, since they are all forwards!

But I know what you mean. Never heard of that fellow tho.

The second part, is highly interesting, since, for years, we were "crying out" for an out and out goalscorer, now a huge amount of people want rid. I love irony!

Given there is 2 1/2 months of transfer window left, I think too many people are worrying (to an insane level!) about nothing yet. 2-3 weeks left, rather than 2-3 weeks gone and it would make sense to be so depressed about everything, but, i just cant fathom it at the moment

We had attacking midfielders last season, we just did n ot play them. We have no player that scares the opposition, no matter what you think of nackeredmotor and mcgayday, they scare the opposition, we have no one.

Did Korea?

In all fairness, we didn't have referees ruling out fair goals against us and, in general, completely bias officiating towards the team like Korea received in 2002.

Remember that Spain game? My god, the ref done his best to get Korea through. Did Spain not have like 2 perfectly good goals ruled out, one from a Joaquin cross that was deemed out of play even though it was clearly at least a foot in?