Rangers offer McGregor a new contract

Daily Record today is indicating that Rangers have offered McGregor a new 5 year contract worth about £20,000 per week.

RANGERS have offered keeper Allan McGregor a lucrative five-year deal to commit his future to Ibrox.

Chairman David Murray tabled the contract, believed to be worth around s20,000 a week, following three hours of talks with the Scotland star late last week.

McGregor signed a new three-year agreement with the club only nine months ago but Rangers moved to ward off suitors after the No.1 was linked with an s8million switch to Spurs and Newcastle.

But Rangers have received no bids for McGregor, who was earning only s1200 two seasons ago.

McGregor had an outstanding campaign until an ankle injury at Parkhead in April ended his season.

It remains to be seen if the 26-year-old is willing to commit his future to the club he joined as a kid.

He spent as much time on the front pages of newspapers last season as the back and it is believed he is uneasy about his goldfish-bowl existence in Glasgow.

Maybe, just maybe this will be some sort of small proof that Rangers don't want to get rid of their best players, even though I'm sure some fans won't believe it.

Paradoxically, offering a new contract doesn't always mean security of player futures at the club.

It does though, increase their value, if we want to sell... ;)

For what it's worth, I doubt we'll be offering AM that much. Possibly in total after bonuses but not as a basic.

My point is all the rubbish about how we'll sell to the first person that makes an offer rubbish that always gets posted, and I and the report both said around £20,000 which to me indicates with bonuses, still a big jump from the reported £1200 a couple of seasons ago.

Guest therabbitt

Really hope Shaggy doesnt decide to go down south for some hotter weemen. We'd miss him for sure as he is only going to get better in my opinion.

£20,000 a week is a lot of money and I sincerely hope he considers taking Rangers up on it. In terms of our current squad, that would make him one of the 5 top earners would it not? Alongside Barry, Brahim, Buffel, Miller...

A contract of that ilk would definitely match his squad status and importance to the team.