So called 'online fans' v 'stadium fans'

Danny

This subject intrigues me.

For as long as I can remember, there's been a bit of an issue about fans who are 'only seen on forums' like RM compared with those who are to be found at every home game (plus the odd away one too).

A number of users on here have pointed out the apparent discrepancies betweeen opinions on the board and those in the ground.

Examples are the apparent hatred for Buffel yet the Belgian gets cheered at Ibrox when he does feature.

Or once upon a time the heavy criticism for Barry Ferguson over the PLG saga yet in one of the following matches at Ibrox, his name was the most loudly cheered.

And of course Boyd - once heavily criticised on here yet pretty clearly adored at the grounds.

There seems to be a self righteousness on forums which doesn't quite translate to the real world. A high and mighty holier than thou attitude which in the real world is wholly absent.

Fans act 'differently' and seem to 'feel' differently on the forums compared with how they are in the terraces or in the pubs.

Remember how many users on here have said that the majority of fans on this forum seem to be alien to the ones they know in person or at the ground?

I find this difference interesting.

Is it because we're behind a screen that we can say things without repercussion? Or is it that being online allows you to be harsher to players than you would be at the ground or to your bluenose buds in person?

(btw, this is absolutely nothing to do with the 'real fan' debate about going to the games or not - seperate topic entirely)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For as long as I can remember, there's been a bit of an issue about fans who are 'only seen on forums' like RM compared with those who are to be found at every home game (plus the odd away one too).

A number of users on here have pointed out the apparent discrepancies betweeen opinions on the board and those in the ground.

Examples are the apparent hatred for Buffel yet the Belgian gets cheered at Ibrox when he does feature.

Or once upon a time the heavy criticism for Barry Ferguson over the PLG saga yet in one of the following matches at Ibrox, his name was the most loudly cheered.

And of course Boyd - once heavily criticised on here yet pretty clearly adored at the grounds.

There seems to be a self righteousness on forums which doesn't quite translate to the real world. A high and mighty holier than thou attitude which in the real world is wholly absent.

Fans act 'differently' and seem to 'feel' differently on the forums compared with how they are in the terraces or in the pubs.

Remember how many users on here have said that the majority of fans on this forum seem to be alien to the ones they know in person or at the ground?

Is it because we're behind a screen that we can say things without repercussion? Or is it that being online allows you to be harsher to players than you would be at the ground or to your bluenose buds in person?

(btw, this is absolutely nothing to do with the 'real fan' debate about going to the games or not - seperate topic entirely)

Could be mate that there are 50,000 fans at Ibrox. It would be really hard to hear the 20 or so on this thread who don't like Buffel or Boyd

When you go to the match, you go to cheer on your team and hopefully watch them win

You dont go to tell people how much you hate SDM, How you disagree with Walters Tactics, team selection and substitutions. Nor do you go to slate one of your own players with will have an adverse effect on the team.

Forums, Like Rangersmedia are a place where fans can vent their frustration and anger and get feedback from fellow bears.

When you go to the match, you go to cheer on your team and hopefully watch them win

You dont go to tell people how much you hate SDM, How you disagree with Walters Tactics, team selection and substitutions. Nor do you go to slate one of your own players with will have an adverse effect on the team.

Forums, Like Rangersmedia are a place where fans can vent their frustration and anger and get feedback from fellow bears.

So before forums like this existed, football was a happy place with no criticism?

So before forums like this existed, football was a happy place with no criticism?

Your forgetting the pub :beer1:

Guest Andypendek

Plus, even though RM is busy, it's still only a fraction of the attendance at Ibrox, and an even smaller fraction of the Rangers Colossal at large.

Maybe the stadium view of players is different from someone with multiple camera angles etc etc.

Plus, it's not like there's 100% of Rangers fans saying one thing at the exact same time at Ibrox.

Internet forums are primarally inhibited by the most hardcore and naturally most opinionated of fans. Be it a music forum or a football forum, its often the people who live and breathe the club/band who post on them.

For some, Ibrox is simply a past time. For others, its a passion but again, not something that they live and breathe.

Whilst im not saying people who post on forums are bigger fans than others, they are often more "clued up" on current goings on and more in touch with the club rather than the normal 3pm on a Saturday, papers in the morning Joe Bloggs.

With a broader access to media sources, i personally think its only natural that this is the case and i fully expect forum numbers to rise and rise as the Internet evolves.

good topic m8

i go to all the home games as a season ticket holder

and for example

as i have stated on here i cant stand the wee fud mr miller

and i express my opinion about him on here, i dont deny that

but as i have stated i wouldnt boo him or sing against him at ibrox

we have to be seen as a united support

supporting our team at games, rallying them on to victory

because at the end of the day thats what its all about

Absolutely BRILLIANT post mate. Sadly, I am no longer a season book holder but I was for the majority of the 80s and 90s and, like a good few others, notice the difference. Not just with football, but with everything, the internet appears to be a place to vent, moan etc, and, perhaps say the things you wouldnt dare say in a pub (for example) as you know you would be in the minority and the reaction would be less, well, pleasant than on here.

I love the forums, mainly this one, because, as i am away from home, I can mingle with other bears, enjoy the banter and so on, but, there are a large amount on here that infuriate me, for varying reasons.

I think people view the internet as a place to say anything the wih, and, have no fear of repercussion due to the relative anononimity of it, however, where some of us letourselves down, is in the fact that th press ALSO frequent the forums, and pick up on things and print them

Anyway, great post mate, and, I agree, there are a few on here I would say remindmeof those i went to ibrox with, but, actually more that I can say I never did

Internet forums are primarally inhibited by the most hardcore and naturally most opinionated of fans. Be it a music forum or a football forum, its often the people who live and breathe the club/band who post on them.

For some, Ibrox is simply a past time. For others, its a passion but again, not something that they live and breathe.

Whilst im not saying people who post on forums are bigger fans than others, they are often more "clued up" on current goings on and more in touch with the club rather than the normal 3pm on a Saturday, papers in the morning Joe Bloggs.

With a broader access to media sources, i personally think its only natural that this is the case and i fully expect forum numbers to rise and rise as the Internet evolves.

I heartily disagree

I think Danny that many who expressed such opinions alien to what is experienced at Ibrox have been outed as non-Rangers fans... Bauba being the perfect example.

I don't know what Bauba said to get banned but I always thought he was a good Bluenose. He might have upset a few people but I don't think he was an imposter.

Just my tuppence worth mind you. :D

Check out the cup final thread, and you'll find out what Bauba got banned for

was that the day he was cheering for queen of the south, and rubbing it in when queens scored, plus he said he used to go to the games in the old days, yet never knew who harold davis was, which i thought was strange.

Check out the cup final thread, and you'll find out what Bauba got banned for

was that the day he was cheering for queen of the south, and rubbing it in when queens scored, plus he said he used to go to the games in the old days, yet never knew who harold davis was, which i thought was strange.

Yeah thats the 1 (tu)

Guest Andypendek

Never heard of Harold David until his name was brought up on this forum @ a year ago. Can't use that as proof of timmyness, though! Hope not anyway.