So called 'online fans' v 'stadium fans'

Danny

[

I am also rather fond of AC Milan, but if Rangers played them, there would be no 'weirdness' - just my usual full blooded support for the Ibrox men.

What happened that made Milan slip from equal first to third?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me to be a mixture of both, there have been members on here who have stated that they are season ticket holders and try and go and see all of the away matches, yet they themselves are heavily critical of, whilst on here, how a player plays, signing policies and tactics etc. It isn't just the internet fans as you call them.

At the end of the day, as many members, and that includes those of us who can't attend matches and those who can get to attend matches, have had a whole new world opened up to us with forums such as this one, where we can be pretty frank about how we see Rangers developing about how well we perceive the players and be able to remember together as a family the history and memories of the days gone by.

I'm glad forums such as this do exist, and I'm glad I found this one because if I hadn't I would still be stuck down here, and not even having Scottish newspapers having very little interaction in the club I grew up to love, and through forums such as this I've made new friends etc and also learned a lot more about the club I love. :rangers:

I think people from time to time (myself included) get too worked up about criticism.

While there's no doubt some (myself included) may occasionally go too far in what they say (either online or at the game), criticism of the club and players is healthy. If a player or anyone else can't take that, then they're in the wrong job.

In terms of the original post, I don't think it's accurate to be honest. I see and hear plenty strong criticism in both forums so I wouldn't suggest for a minute online fans are somehow worse/harsher than stadium ones.

What I find interesting about the forum is the percieved perceptions and the reality. For instance last season I ran a poll on SDM stewardship as a percieved majorit seemed against him but the poll showed over 80% support for him. I also ran a poll when people were giving WS a hard time but that also showed nearly 90% support for him. It is easy on the forum to 'think' (percieve) that there is large support for a particular POV, that is in contrast with, say, feelings at Ibrox, but when tested perception is NOT reality!

What I find interesting about the forum is the percieved perceptions and the reality. For instance last season I ran a poll on SDM stewardship as a percieved majorit seemed against him but the poll showed over 80% support for him. I also ran a poll when people were giving WS a hard time but that also showed nearly 90% support for him. It is easy on the forum to 'think' (percieve) that there is large support for a particular POV, that is in contrast with, say, feelings at Ibrox, but when tested perception is NOT reality!

Spot on Bluepeter9 (tu)

Threads on a forum tend to get taken over by the vocal minority, and a casual read tells you "people on this site think..." which is not necessarily the case. Quite often, when two or three have strongly held (and persistently posted) opinions, a lot of people don't feel equipped to argue with them. Others, undoubtedly, don't bother as their minds will not be changed. I'll generalise slightly here, but it is often people with these "I'm right" attitudes who are least worth arguing with, and they tend to be the most defensive of their viewpoint, and agressive to anyone who challenges it.

We've all seen it happen, and it gives a perception of viewpoint which is not necessarily representative. I'm going for a lie down now, I'm not used to agreeing with Bluepeter9 :lol:

Spot on Bluepeter9 (tu)

Threads on a forum tend to get taken over by the vocal minority, and a casual read tells you "people on this site think..." which is not necessarily the case. Quite often, when two or three have strongly held (and persistently posted) opinions, a lot of people don't feel equipped to argue with them. Others, undoubtedly, don't bother as their minds will not be changed. I'll generalise slightly here, but it is often people with these "I'm right" attitudes who are least worth arguing with, and they tend to be the most defensive of their viewpoint, and agressive to anyone who challenges it.

We've all seen it happen, and it gives a perception of viewpoint which is not necessarily representative. I'm going for a lie down now, I'm not used to agreeing with Bluepeter9 :lol:

I am going to lie down as well - the shock of you agreeing with me. (But if you dont mind we can lie down seperately - even if it is the new millenium!) :lol:

Spot on Bluepeter9 (tu)

I am going to lie down as well - the shock of you agreeing with me. (But if you dont mind we can lie down seperately - even if it is the new millenium!) :lol:

:kiss1:

Spot on Bluepeter9 (tu)

:kiss1:

:pipe: (.. and a smoke afterwards !! ) :lol: - .. oh dear we do need the new season to start !

I don;t go to matches anymore, miss going terribly, but in the 80s and early 90s some players still got dogs abuse at game. It was not a happy place to be at times but now I think the internet has given people greater scope to vent their spleen, but for example, in the case of Alan Hutton just post leg break he got absolute abuse from all parts of the ground, it ain't an internet problem, what i do think happens is that 'chinese whispers' spread far more easily nowadays, some contain it within the 'net, others carry it over into the matches.

Fans can now go home and watch the game over and over, listen to the pundits and phone ins and on the whole fans are very much more knowledgable nowadays, given the extent of coverage given to the games.

Excellent post tho' Danny.

I think Danny that many who expressed such opinions alien to what is experienced at Ibrox have been outed as non-Rangers fans... Bauba being the perfect example.

So was bauba actually a tim then? Id always suspected it but couldn't prove it! :craphead:

Guest Andypendek

I don't think so. If I had been accused of being a tim as often as he was on here, I reckon I'd wind you all up at every opportunity too.

Boab, too, was supposed to be a tim. He reacted with more maturity than Bauba, but we're all different, and it's in the past now anyway.

I think Danny that many who expressed such opinions alien to what is experienced at Ibrox have been outed as non-Rangers fans... Bauba being the perfect example.

So was bauba actually a tim then? Id always suspected it but couldn't prove it! :craphead:

I know there was a lot of suspicion, I certainly thought he was, if you look at the link to his site tho, he comes across as a jambo, which may explain a few things haha

This subject intrigues me.

For as long as I can remember, there's been a bit of an issue about fans who are 'only seen on forums' like RM compared with those who are to be found at every home game (plus the odd away one too).

A number of users on here have pointed out the apparent discrepancies betweeen opinions on the board and those in the ground.

Examples are the apparent hatred for Buffel yet the Belgian gets cheered at Ibrox when he does feature.

Or once upon a time the heavy criticism for Barry Ferguson over the PLG saga yet in one of the following matches at Ibrox, his name was the most loudly cheered.

And of course Boyd - once heavily criticised on here yet pretty clearly adored at the grounds.

There seems to be a self righteousness on forums which doesn't quite translate to the real world. A high and mighty holier than thou attitude which in the real world is wholly absent.

Fans act 'differently' and seem to 'feel' differently on the forums compared with how they are in the terraces or in the pubs.

Remember how many users on here have said that the majority of fans on this forum seem to be alien to the ones they know in person or at the ground?

I find this difference interesting.

Is it because we're behind a screen that we can say things without repercussion? Or is it that being online allows you to be harsher to players than you would be at the ground or to your bluenose buds in person?

(btw, this is absolutely nothing to do with the 'real fan' debate about going to the games or not - seperate topic entirely)

av only been on the forum for a few months and a go to every home game european home game try get away for away euro games go to cup games and my opions on here are exactly the same as they are at ibrox or in the pub or anywhere there are players at ibrox that annoy me a think boyd could do more a think ferguson had some blame in the hole PLG stuff buffel a like but obvoiusly not in smiths plan and should be sold

I don't think so. If I had been accused of being a tim as often as he was on here, I reckon I'd wind you all up at every opportunity too.

Boab, too, was supposed to be a tim. He reacted with more maturity than Bauba, but we're all different, and it's in the past now anyway.

I thought Bauba was a tim because of the amount of winding up he used to do doh

I seem to remember that people thought Boab was a tim because they thought "Ideal Broomloan" was something to do with the away fans when septic visit. Obviously I know thats not what he meant by it, I took it to be just where he sits. I never doubted Boab!!

Yes, I find this also very interesting. You see a theme emerge through posts of a mass opinion, yet when a poll is run its numbers seem to totally contract that mass opinion.

I find that really bizarre.

Yes, I find this also very interesting. You see a theme emerge through posts of a mass opinion, yet when a poll is run its numbers seem to totally contract that mass opinion.

I find that really bizarre.

No matter what we think about how the team plays or what we think of the manager and his decisions; when it comes down to a vote loyalty to Rangers takes over, which may explain the results of the poll.

I thought Bauba was a tim because of the amount of winding up he used to do doh

I seem to remember that people thought Boab was a tim because they thought "Ideal Broomloan" was something to do with the away fans when septic visit. Obviously I know thats not what he meant by it, I took it to be just where he sits. I never doubted Boab!!

(tu)

Spot on Bluepeter9 (tu)

Very good point. (tu)

I've been on this site for a wee while now, yet there are still some threads I wouldn't touch, and some posters that I'll think twice about discussing certain subjects with. It's not that I don't feel equipped to argue with these people, it's more that I know, whatever I say, they're not going to change their point of view, and vice versa. I'm sure there are a helluva lot of people, on this forum and others, who feel and act pretty much the same way I do.

On Dannys' original post, I do think there are a small percentage of fans who probably feel safer voicing their more "radical" opinions on an internet forum rather than at the game or in the pub. Slightly less chance of getting pummelled on here maybe? :craphead:

Spot on Bluepeter9 (tu)

Very good point. (tu)

I've been on this site for a wee while now, yet there are still some threads I wouldn't touch, and some posters that I'll think twice about discussing certain subjects with. It's not that I don't feel equipped to argue with these people, it's more that I know, whatever I say, they're not going to change their point of view, and vice versa. I'm sure there are a helluva lot of people, on this forum and others, who feel and act pretty much the same way I do.

On Dannys' original post, I do think there are a small percentage of fans who probably feel safer voicing their more "radical" opinions on an internet forum rather than at the game or in the pub. Slightly less chance of getting pummelled on here maybe? :craphead:

you have just made me burst into tears i wont sleep tonight. :)

I have only been on here a short time but from what I see the split in opinions reflects what I see in the pub and amongst my match goings mates. Whatever I would say on a forum I would say in public too. A few of my pals frequent FF , having sampled it myself and not knowing any of the posters personally other than my mates,I would say I have very rarely saw an isolated individual with some of the extreme views that posters appear to have over there. However when they are in a group like the Club Deck Loyal they seem to feel secure enough to display their feelings.

I would say that if we had terracing rather than seating, disdain at certain things at matches would be more noticeable though. For example I point blankly refuse to participate in a round of applause, which I got some looks for at Ibrox. Its now accepted by those around me. However at away games like Motherwell and Hampden recently I can see folks staring at me like Im a leper. A lot of my mates are like me and if we were grouped together and refused to clap other individuals with the same feelings would adopt the same stance.