Fulham insist on £4m

For £4m i'd rather buy Chimbonda for right back at £2m and Faubert at right wing(ok he's £3m himself ) than Davis for £4m.

Then promote Dean Furman up to be our support midfielder,the boy has bags of talent.

So I'm in the minority then. Because even at 4 million I would still sign him.

He's a well esthablished international, who will probably be the next captain of his nation.

He's still a number of years away from reaching his peak and if he does well for us there is still a chance that we can recoup, and even make a profit on the player a few years down the line.

He, like so many others, faded towards the tail end of last season becuase of the number of games we had to play.

My concern is that we will play him out of position - like we did last term which had an immediate impact on his consistency. I rate him as a player but at £4M for a guy that will play second fiddle to Barry & Thommo is too much for me.

I would prefer to spend that on a dedicated AM or RM...and not a makeshift one.

Precisement, JR. (tu)

£4m is getting a bit pricey, although I do rate him highly.

Really it depends on what our total budget is. If we have just £10m to spend.......no. If we have closer to £15m to spend.........yes.

A big part of me thinks we should be giving Furman his chance next season, and investing the potential Davis money elsewhere. We could do with a new right side (full back and wide man).

I'd love to say that the money could be better invested elsewhere, becuase it could be.

However, due to Wallters aparant dislike of giving youtha shot or actually scouting anywhere outwith of Scotland, England & France I doubt that it will be.

If we don't sign Davis it'll probably be a matter of Walter ringing up another one of his cronies i.e Quashie and saying "wanna play for the Rangers"

For £4m i'd rather buy Chimbonda for right back at £2m and Faubert at right wing(ok he's £3m himself ) than Davis for £4m.

Then promote Dean Furman up to be our support midfielder,the boy has bags of talent.

Faubert for £3 million??? We were out priced for him by West Ham when we were willing to pay about £5 million for him, I really doubt they would sell him for that amount?

At that price, Davis is well overpriced. He had a great start, but was found wanting in later games for us. I would have hesitated at £3m in the latter part of the season, any more would get a resounding NO from me.

Damm - I 100% agree - again - STOP IT!!! :kiss1:

£3.5m plus add-ons for Boydy.

I wonder if that would get accepted.......

That would also be criminal

You'll find people who thing it would be criminal NOT to accept that kind of money.

I'm undecided, before anyone jumps on my back :P

Ha!! I see your point pal!

3 season and over 70 goals. Worth far mor than £3.5 mil imo

If Liverpool want £15 million for Crouch surely Boyd is worh at least £10!

Cant believe nobody picked you up on the boyd for a tenner thing :craphead:

I agree though, Boyd could make a lot more if we did sell him

As for Davis, not at that money, and, agree with the fella that said promote Furman rather than spend that. Davis doesnt set my world on fire

If we sign Davies it is guaranteed we will not sign a creative midfielder. Along with a right back, this is the most vital position to fill. We can not afford to waste this money on Davies.

If we do sign Davis and actually play him in the AM role instead of out on the wing as happened last season then we might actually see him playing better as he would be playing in the role he is accustomed to and better at.

When he was at Villa, playing in his correct position, he was brilliant. He showed glimpses of his ability last year, but was largely played out of position. In addition, we weren't really playing through our midfield. He's not suited to the 'punt and run' tactics we often resorted to.

If we're genuinely going to change our style and formation, I'd pay £4m for him. I think he can be the creative, goal-scoring midfielder we crave but only if he's played in the correct position. If he's signed to play on the wing again then that'll be a complete waste.

If we're genuinely going to change our style and formation, I'd pay £4m for him.

Agreed, but I don't see that happening. Just look at our signings.

Miller.......long ball over the top.

Lafferty......McCulloch-esque in that he often plays left mid. Long ball magnet.

Velicka.....tall physical striker who also attracts the long ball.

To me, it just looks as though we are tweaking exactly the same tactics we were using last season. I was content with playing that way last year, it was effective with what we have available. But I'll be gutted if we don't look to move on from that this season.

If we're genuinely going to change our style and formation, I'd pay £4m for him.

Lafferty......McCulloch-esque in that he often plays left mid. Long ball magnet.

To me, it just looks as though we are tweaking exactly the same tactics we were using last season. I was content with playing that way last year, it was effective with what we have available. But I'll be gutted if we don't look to move on from that this season.

My understanding was that Lafferty had a really good touch, and, was good with the ball at his feet?

My understanding was that Lafferty had a really good touch, and, was good with the ball at his feet?

I think he will be decent with the ball at his feet, certainly better than McCulloch. But I don't think he's a player that will beat players with pace or thread creative balls through for the strikers. At 6 foot 4, there is only one place the ball is going within this current Rangers team......and it's not his feet unfortunately :(

Yeah, I see what you mean. But hopefully there are going to be further changes to the squad and we'll bring in some quality. So we can start playing the beautiful game once more!

I think Velicka and Lafferty are reasonably useful in the technical sense and haven't been brought in purely as target men. I also hope we'll have DMB out on the left and bring in someone for right mid - so Lafferty isn't stuck out on the flanks in McCulloch-esque fashion.

Bringing in decent footballers like Davis (to play in their proper positions :) )would seem to indicate a move away from the 'interim' tactics we brought in for our season of stabilisation and towards a more attractive, attacking approach :bouncy:

Or maybe that's too optimistic! Will have to wait and see who we bring in.

I rate Davis highly but no point in spending that much on him if he's going to be played out of position or if it means Ferguson continues in the advanced role.

Best thing to of done would of been to sign Davis, not sign Lafferty and get in an attacking midfielder and wingers. Then play Davis alongside Thomson and drop Ferguson.