C'mon ra Hoops

Why has Peter Campbell a different badge?

Was he maybe the goalie?

Thats what I thought as well but it turns out he was a forward who went on to be capped 3 times for Scotland. 3 years later he moved to Blackburn Rovers in 1879 then in 1880 he retired and to become a seaman. Nine years after that picture was taken he was drowned off the Bay of Biscay in 1893

+ +

I love these old pictures, would like to find out why they chose star of davids as the club badge. Guess somethings we'll never know

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was he maybe the goalie?

Thats what I thought as well but it turns out he was a forward who went on to be capped 3 times for Scotland. 3 years later he moved to Blackburn Rovers in 1879 then in 1880 he retired and to become a seaman. Nine years after that picture was taken he was drowned off the Bay of Biscay in 1893

+ +

I love these old pictures, would like to find out why they chose star of davids as the club badge. Guess somethings we'll never know

peter campbell was first capped in the early part of18-76 playing for glasgow against sheffield and won 2-0

Was he maybe the goalie?

+ +

This says it all for me PG. Heres a man who achieved highly in football at that time, then retired to go to work at sea ? Then, sadly lost his life at sea years later. Im assuming he 'retired' to make better money for his family, I dont know.

Some of the fannies playing today need to be told of this.

Minstral seen them play (tu)

He certainly did,I remember clearly giving the little guy a lift over the turnstile back then.He was a much happier camper back then too,and if you don't

believe me ,I'm sure NV will back me up. :P

He certainly did,I remember clearly giving the little guy a lift over the turnstile back then.He was a much happier camper back then too,and if you don't

i like your style. :lol:

Aye but he was obviously a future cynic.

Quite interesting...although the Star or as it is also known...Shield of David or Magen David has been around for hundreds of years it was not actually adopted as the symbol of the Zionist movement till 1897...a few years after the picture was taken.

It is possible the 6 pointed star represents something else not connected with Judaism. I seem to remember a discussion on this a few years back and someone suggested it was the symbol of a rowing club.

Quite interesting...although the Star or as it is also known...Shield of David or Magen David has been around for hundreds of years it was not actually adopted as the symbol of the Zionist movement till 1897...a few years after the picture was taken.

It is possible the 6 pointed star represents something else not connected with Judaism. I seem to remember a discussion on this a few years back and someone suggested it was the symbol of a rowing club.

i think you are on the right track dart and i would love to find out the true story. (tu)

7677team.jpg

Just had a wee check at this pic and here's what it says in a book I've got:

Ranger's Scottish Cup Final line-up for the 1877 tie with the Vale Of Leven at Hamilton Crescent, Glasgow. After two 1-1 draws, Rangers lost the second replay 3-2 at the First Hampden Park. Included in the team are two of the original founders, Moses McNeil and Peter Campbell. This series of three games brought the young Glasgow club into greater prominence, challenging their 'mighty' opponents from the 'Cradle of Football' - Dunbartonshire. The nickname of 'Light Blues' originates from this time - Vale Of Leven wore dark blue shirts, and the final was billed as the 'Light Blues' versus the 'Dark Blues'. :sherlock:

7677team.jpg

Just had a wee check at this pic and here's what it says in a book I've got:

Ranger's Scottish Cup Final line-up for the 1877 tie with the Vale Of Leven at Hamilton Crescent, Glasgow. After two 1-1 draws, Rangers lost the second replay 3-2 at the First Hampden Park. Included in the team are two of the original founders, Moses McNeil and Peter Campbell. This series of three games brought the young Glasgow club into greater prominence, challenging their 'mighty' opponents from the 'Cradle of Football' - Dunbartonshire. The nickname of 'Light Blues' originates from this time - Vale Of Leven wore dark blue shirts, and the final was billed as the 'Light Blues' versus the 'Dark Blues'. :sherlock:

blue someone will know the story its just finding them, i would love to know.

We'll get there Minst and find out and document as much as there is to about the Rangers. Make it a labour of love. This pic is in a book I've got Rangers Football Club 1872-1964, Images of Scotland, compiled by Robert McElroy, it's a cracker. If I can get my act together I will scan the pics and try and get them on here. Always on the look out for books and info like this Minst. There are some who don't comprehend how much Rangers mean to some people, not being elitist here just being honest, thats the way we are and always will be ! :sherlock:

Do you mean a rowing club that that the founders belonged to? (I know they were rowers first).

Do you mean a rowing club that that the founders belonged to? (I know they were rowers first).

Can't speak for D'Art but I would guess so.

I would want further evidence before I was convinced that the Star was a Zionist symbol in this context.

yes - this is purely from memory...I recall on a debate regarding this very subject someone suggesting this was the symbol of the Clyde Rowing Club. I can in no way confirm this however.

OK, thanks. Would have thought it highly unlikely that there was any connection to Judaism. It looks to me to be a different shape from the Star of David, which is made from two triangles. That looks more of a 'sunburst' design.

7677team.jpg

:clap:

Does anyone know when we first used our current badge on the shirts?

It's been on continuously since roughly 68/69.

But it appears on a fair number of earlier ones, on the 'Toffs' site there's a pic of Alan Morton wearing an away strip, white with the logo in white on a blue shield, would post it but my photoshop is blocked at work.

yes - this is purely from memory...I recall on a debate regarding this very subject someone suggesting this was the symbol of the Clyde Rowing Club. I can in no way confirm this however.

Try "Clydesdale Amateur rowing club"(celebrating 150 Years) Nice story about how our club was formed. (tu)

:clap:

Does anyone know when we first used our current badge on the shirts?

It's been on continuously since roughly 68/69.

But it appears on a fair number of earlier ones, on the 'Toffs' site there's a pic of Alan Morton wearing an away strip, white with the logo in white on a blue shield, would post it but my photoshop is blocked at work.

I think it was the 1969-70 season.

2z9b7t4.jpg

The shirt Manticore means is this one I think:

2nlbcs5.jpg

That away shirt is the only picture of a shirt that I have that shows a badge, between that old one with the stars, right up to the 1969 one.