C'mon ra Hoops

Aye, on reflection it probably was 69/70.

I can't see the pic, but presume it's the one from Toff's?

I've got that replica btw, if anybody's thinking of getting one, it's generously cut, almost tent like.

On the logo, I'm sure I've seen one from an early Euro away (1950s), I'll try and look it out later.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, on reflection it probably was 69/70.

I can't see the pic, but presume it's the one from Toff's?

I've got that replica btw, if anybody's thinking of getting one, it's generously cut, almost tent like.

On the logo, I'm sure I've seen one from an early Euro away (1950s), I'll try and look it out later.

No, it's a 1925 team photo. I have another one from that era (1927) that also shows a badge on the (white) away shirt. Other than that I can't see any other time when we've worn a badge, except those early days and after 1969. Hadn't noticed that before.

Quite interesting...although the Star or as it is also known...Shield of David or Magen David has been around for hundreds of years it was not actually adopted as the symbol of the Zionist movement till 1897...a few years after the picture was taken.

It is possible the 6 pointed star represents something else not connected with Judaism. I seem to remember a discussion on this a few years back and someone suggested it was the symbol of a rowing club.

Do you mean a rowing club that that the founders belonged to? (I know they were rowers first).

yes - this is purely from memory...I recall on a debate regarding this very subject someone suggesting this was the symbol of the Clyde Rowing Club. I can in no way confirm this however.

Try "Clydesdale Amateur rowing club"(celebrating 150 Years) Nice story about how our club was formed. (tu)

And is if by magic.............

http://www.clydesdalearc.org.uk/index.php?...4&Itemid=34

:clap:

Does anyone know when we first used our current badge on the shirts?

Def 68-69 Season. :sherlock:

No def.

spxie8.jpg

Got a picture of John Greig taking a penalty against Airdrie at Ibrox on March 1st 69 and he's got the round necked strip with the badge on it, Rangers won 1-0. The game we first wore it was against Celtic on the 10th of August '68 in the League Cup sections I'm pretty sure, we were beaten 2-0. :sherlock: PS - In fact am no pretty sure am Def sure. If you check that disasterous '69 cup final when we were beaten 4-0 by the mhanks we had it on then.

No def.

Got a picture of John Greig taking a penalty against Airdrie at Ibrox on March 1st 69 and he's got the round necked strip with the badge on it, Rangers won 1-0. The game we first wore it was against Celtic on the 10th of August '68 in the League Cup sections I'm pretty sure, we were beaten 2-0. :sherlock: PS - In fact am no pretty sure am Def sure. If you check that disasterous '69 cup final when we were beaten 4-0 by the mhanks we had it on then.

Maybe they changed mid season then or they had that photo done before the new kit arrived.

No def.

Maybe they changed mid season then or they had that photo done before the new kit arrived.

Was done before the new kit arrived because I remember we beat Celtic 4-2 at the phiggery early doors September 14 and wee bud scored 2 and he had the new strip on. Colin Stein signed on 31st October '68 scorin a hat-trick and we played Arbroath Nov 2, Colin Colin Colin Stein never wore the old strip in his career at Ibrox. ;)

No def.

Was done before the new kit arrived because I remember we beat Celtic 4-2 at the phiggery early doors September 14 and wee bud scored 2 and he had the new strip on. Colin Stein signed on 31st October '68 scorin a hat-trick and we played Arbroath Nov 2, Colin Colin Colin Stein never wore the old strip in his career at Ibrox. ;)

Come to think of it we also wore it against Newcastle and that would have been 1968-69. Your right, that photograph threw me out.

No def.

Come to think of it we also wore it against Newcastle and that would have been 1968-69. Your right, that photograph threw me out.

The more I look at it the more I think the date is just wrong, Sorensen never player a game that season but Gerry Neef was in the 68-69 squad. :sherlock:

I love it, almost a page worth of debate about which season we changed the jersey :bouncy:

For younger bears how much things have changed.

Guys who have been going 30 or whatever more years than you might only have seen 2 more home strips than you :craphead:

The shirt Manticore means is this one I think:

2nlbcs5.jpg

That away shirt is the only picture of a shirt that I have that shows a badge, between that old one with the stars, right up to the 1969 one.

The very one, and here's The Wee Blue Devil in action wearing it:

Morton.jpg

If I had a Time machine, I'd go back and see him in action.

toffs.jpg

[

The more I look at it the more I think the date is just wrong, Sorensen never player a game that season but Gerry Neef was in the 68-69 squad. :sherlock:

Yes that's another possibility, the date on that photo could be incorrect.

Morton.jpg

toffs.jpg

Looking through my old pics I see this one of Alan Morton:

160puvm.jpg

Look at the size of the ball!. ;) Actually I have this file marked as the 1928 SCF against Celtic that we won 4-0. I think that might be wrong with them not wearing hoops.

Morton.jpg

toffs.jpg

Looking through my old pics I see this one of Alan Morton:

160puvm.jpg

Look at the size of the ball!. ;) Actually I have this file marked as the 1928 SCF against Celtic that we won 4-0. I think that might be wrong with them not wearing hoops.

Great picture!

Was the 28 Final played at hampden?

That pic looks like porkheid, although that still wouldn't explain the lack of hoops.

Guess the thread's come full circle now....

Guess the thread's come full circle now....

To round it off, is this the last time we had a full shirt of hoops?

2z8z19y.jpg

Have that marked as 1950. Looks like the same kit we wore in the famous friendly against Moscow Dynamo in 1945.

zl936u.jpg