Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D'Artagnan

I am what I am

151 posts in this topic

Im struggling to understand exactly what your point is....

I don't think you are. How do you see Bears in The Mermaid assuring you that the kind of views espoused on this forum (an example of the type of view you are refering to would be nice) would be 'short lived' if not through violence?

I dont really care what you think.

The point is not whether I would support such action ...whether it be from being told to shut the f*** up or some idiot clattering someone.....the crucial point is the reality of it. You cant seem to grasp that.

<Ignoring childish remark>

Well at least you have conceded that it wasn't 'quite a spectacular leap some of us have made' regarding physical violence. I have no problem grasping the reality of the situation, depending on what is said that is. Of course you've yet to provide an example of the kind of view you mean.

some of our fans along with murray would rather all our traditions were left behind, but it will never happen as there is to many of our fans will never surrender to all the pc and do gooders.

Yup and they should be fought all the way mate. To deny our history, heirtage and fans culture is deny the very thing that built The Rangers to what it is today.

NO SURRENDER

some of our fans along with murray would rather all our traditions were left behind, but it will never happen as there is to many of our fans will never surrender to all the pc and do gooders.

Yup and they should be fought all the way mate. To deny our history, heirtage and fans culture is deny the very thing that built The Rangers to what it is today.

NO SURRENDER

(tu) All the way mate, like the sig superb ! :sherlock:

no half the cowards are on this board, all we hear is we should move forward, and leave all the protestant traditions in the past as they have nothing to do with our club. plus members telling us some of the songs are not acceptable that our support sing, then others on abour our irish support, asking what they have to do with our club, well guys as i keep saying get along to ibrox on a match day ans try to convert the fans to your ideas, but you know what it will never happen, as you are all mouth and no trousers as i have told you before, and before you start i am not on about violence, they would just tel you to get to f--k.

Excellent post mistral, it sums up my thoughts on this thread and the handwringers on this site in a nut shell :lol:(tu)

Let's not be selective about what our history is.

Remember we weren't founded with any religious identity.

There is space for all the supporters of our club.

Look this thread started with this comment near the top: " Of course the very notion of freedom of thought or expression is quite alien to timmy...perhaps thats why so many of them are outed so quickly."

And has mostly involved posters supporting a position whereby "freedom of thought or expression" is denied by bears in clubs/buses/forums to other bears (handwringers) who have unconventional views.

Irony anyone?

Of course the very notion of freedom of thought or expression is quite alien to timmy...perhaps thats why so many of them are outed so quickly.

For all his faults the Fish highlighted a very important point – that some of the opinions or beliefs expressed on this message boards were totally alien to that expressed on supporters clubs or buses. I would certainly vouch for that...if certain posters were to espouse their views or opinions in the Mermaid on a Saturday afternoon then I can assure you they would be short lived beliefs.

So is freedom of thought/expression as alien in the Mermaid for example as you suggest it is to timmy..? That is how it sounds D'Art. I am uncomfortable with that kind of intolerance.

Freedom of thought/expression is a very important principle to me and if that principle is upheld better on forums like RM than it is on certain buses/clubs/pubs etc then that is to the credit of the forums etc.

As the song goes:

Life's not worth a damn till you can shout out

I am what I am

ie life aint worth a damn without freedom of thought/expression.

Good point. At what point though, and at what time, did supporting the Gers become, exactly, equated to a specific belief system. We are a wide-ranging support from all classes and walks of life. There are some who like to paint a one-dimensional picture of Protestantism and it plays into the hands of many who, somehow, believe that being a Rangers fan makes you some kind of right-winger; bollocks to that....Nevertheless, it is no accident that Rangers are associated with a Protestant heritage as the very nature of Scotland and its history would make this so....we are the people, remember.....free speach, democracy, belief in a welfare state and equality are very much part of my Protestant upbringing.....I despise racism, fascism, most forms of communism, and conservatism....really I am a LIberal....I can swing from right to left

ps. I have travelled to the matches with two supporter clubs regulary in my life, depending where I am, and to my mind it was always best not to get too much into politics as it has always been something that has the potential to rip and divide us as a support. Do you know why....because ...We are the people....and the people can have very diffirent opinions on the state of a nation or peoples.............................................

Aye tae the fore

Rangers til I die

Look this thread started with this comment near the top: " Of course the very notion of freedom of thought or expression is quite alien to timmy...perhaps thats why so many of them are outed so quickly."

And has mostly involved posters supporting a position whereby "freedom of thought or expression" is denied by bears in clubs/buses/forums to other bears (handwringers) who have unconventional views.

Irony anyone?

I'll tell you what is more ironic YC....there have been a no. of timposters on here recently spreading their particular brand of hatred and to some extent personal abuse which has inconvienced some users.....yet your criticism seems to be reserved for Bears

Irony anyone?

I'll tell you what is more ironic YC....there have been a no. of timposters on here recently spreading their particular brand of hatred and to some extent personal abuse which has inconvienced some users.....yet your criticism seems to be reserved for Bears

Quite...

Equality for all, except our own.

YC. Good job on selecting two opposing quotes when they were said in a different context.

Good point. At what point though, and at what time, did supporting the Gers become, exactly, equated to a specific belief system. We are a wide-ranging support from all classes and walks of life. There are some who like to paint a one-dimensional picture of Protestantism and it plays into the hands of many who, somehow, believe that being a Rangers fan makes you some kind of right-winger; bollocks to that....Nevertheless, it is no accident that Rangers are associated with a Protestant heritage as the very nature of Scotland and its history would make this so....we are the people, remember.....free speach, democracy, belief in a welfare state and equality are very much part of my Protestant upbringing.....I despise racism, fascism, most forms of communism, and conservatism....really I am a LIberal....I can swing from right to left

I dont think at any point I have suggested we have a particular set of beliefs....I am well aware that our club is indeed a broad church.

What surprises me is that the particular type of interloper who masquerades as Bears on this site seems to find so many apologists. I will say this categorically - they hate our club with a passion which probably exceeds the love of their own

And I stand by my original assertion - such a shower are incapable of freedom of thought or expression - their hatred of all things Rangers is all consuming.

Well at least you have conceded that it wasn't 'quite a spectacular leap some of us have made' regarding physical violence. I have no problem grasping the reality of the situation, depending on what is said that is. Of course you've yet to provide an example of the kind of view you mean.

Well I tell you what - some of the previous comments on the Royal Family and some of the expressions espoused....try shouting them verbatim within the likes of The District and watch what transpires.

You know, I've only seen a couple of "hand-wringing apologists" on here, so from my perspective, this appears to be a bit of an obsession over not a lot.

My only concern is the well being of the club and the only people I would criticise is those who would jeopardise our entry to Europe or our right to see our team. It never got that far, because the fans unanimously cut out the banned songs.

Irony anyone?

I am merely responding to points made in this thread as is natural practice on a forum.

I cannot comment - not being sufficiently informed - on how imposters on other threads have inconvenienced some users.

I have no particular beef with you or any other bear on this forum - quite the reverse - but I reserve the right to dispute/debate points as and when they touch upon things that I believe in.

And I stand by my original assertion - such a shower are incapable of freedom of thought or expression - their hatred of all things Rangers is all consuming

And people can debate till they are black in the face but these words are the crux of it all ! :sherlock:

You know, I've only seen a couple of "hand-wringing apologists" on here, so from my perspective, this appears to be a bit of an obsession over not a lot.

My only concern is the well being of the club and the only people I would criticise is those who would jeopardise our entry to Europe or our right to see our team. It never got that far, because the fans unanimously cut out the banned songs.

The banned song you mean?

The same one Chelsea and Man U are free to sing?

Yup, we have a timmyesque paranoia complex :(

Even that is debatable, there are no banned songs only a banned line in a song ! :sherlock:

Even that is debatable, there are no banned songs only a banned line in a song ! :sherlock:

Sadly, no.

UEFA said "all versions of The Billy Boys".

It's inconsistent, hypocritical and basically wrong, I'm sure you'll agree.

The banned song you mean?

The same one Chelsea and Man U are free to sing?

Yup, we have a timmyesque paranoia complex :(

I'm with you on that.

Sadly, no.

Can you show me where they said it ? :sherlock:

Sadly, no.

Can you show me where they said it ? :sherlock:

Can anybody show me where UEFA said it ? :sherlock:

We sang it in The City of Manchester Stadium in front of observers and nobody said a word ! :sherlock:

We sang it in The City of Manchester Stadium in front of observers and nobody said a word ! :sherlock:

Yep - and every single one of you were bang out of order!

I'll fight for our right to sing it but I'll condemn anyone who does so if Rangers suffer

Yep - and every single one of you were bang out of order!

I'll fight for our right to sing it but I'll condemn anyone who does so if Rangers suffer

Again I'll ask the question can anybody show me where it said we can't sing it with amended words as every other club in the country is giving it laldy ? Is that not a Human Rights issue, or again are we the only tribe ommitted from that as well ? We are not named PROTESTANTS for nothing, we are named that for fighting tyranny and religious opression. You don't fight for your rights you get shit on ! :sherlock: