Daniel De Ridder Released

Muff

Birmingham City have confirmed that Dutch winger Daniel de Ridder has left St Andrews.

The 24-year-old has had his contract cancelled by mutual consent after just one season with the Blues.

The former Ajax youngster was signed on a free transfer from Spanish side Celta Vigo a year ago on a three-year deal, but found opportunities scarce.

The Holland Under 21 international hardly featured under Alex McLeish after being brought to the club by Steve Bruce before he quit to join Wigan.

Frustration

De Ridder has openly talked of his frustration at not playing regularly which could alert the likes of Bruce, who has been linked with a move for the versatile player.

The winger started eight games for City during the course of the season, plus four as a substitute but, despite showing glimpses of his talent, he was largely inconsistent.

Now here is a very good player who can play in a number of positions and has the ability to create something out of nothing, very good out wide and has the ability to beat a man and deliver a cracking cross. The sort of player who we have been crying out for, for years. I think both myself and dbbtb mentioned him when he was given a bosman by Celta after the U-21 championships in 2007.

Now here is a very good player who can play in a number of positions and has the ability to create something out of nothing, very good out wide and has the ability to beat a man and deliver a cracking cross. The sort of player who we have been crying out for, for years. I think both myself and dbbtb mentioned him when he was given a bosman by Celta after the U-21 championships in 2007.

I don't even want to go into how long you, myself, rfc_no1fan and DDBTB have been shouting for this guy, and now he's on a free!

Excellent player, and as RFC says, proves that Eck couldn't spot a good player if his life depended on it.

Expect us to make no move whatsoever though :(

We'd rather go for SPL or Scottish shite. Our manager has probably never heard of de Ridder, to creative and exciting for his liking.

Birmingham reject doesn't inspire.

My Dutch friends don't seem to keen on him either.

Birmingham reject, just like Miller is a celtc and Derby reject?

Doesn't help when the manager is Big ed McLeish.

Birmingham reject doesn't inspire.

My Dutch friends don't seem to keen on him either.

Birmingham reject, just like Miller is a celtc and Derby reject?

Doesn't help when the manager is Big ed McLeish.

Miller fell out with Strachan and Liewell over money according to my sources, then Liewell started telling him he wasn't good enough and it was him who rejected Derby by having an exit clause in his contract pending on relegation.

I'm not his biggest fan but I can clearly see the logic in the signing. He works his arse off, produced his best stuff under Walter and Ally and bears a gigantic grudge against Strachan and Liewell.

He may just prove a few folk wrong. I really hope he does.

I AM AGAINST THE SIGNING BT I THINK EVERYONE WILL AGREE THAT THEY LIKE NOTHING BETTER THAN A PLAYER PROVING US WRONG :)

AS FOR DE RIDDER WOULD LOVE HIM AT IBROX WAS SHOKED TO READ HE HAD BEEN RELEASED TO BE HONEST

WE ARE CRYING OUT FOR SOMEONE LIKE HIM :)

WE ARE THE PEOPLE :):D

I AM AGAINST THE SIGNING BT I THINK EVERYONE WILL AGREE THAT THEY LIKE NOTHING BETTER THAN A PLAYER PROVING US WRONG :)

AS FOR DE RIDDER WOULD LOVE HIM AT IBROX WAS SHOKED TO READ HE HAD BEEN RELEASED TO BE HONEST

WE ARE CRYING OUT FOR SOMEONE LIKE HIM :)

WE ARE THE PEOPLE :):D

NO NEED TO SHOUT.

Guest therabbitt

Agreed, had a fantastic Euro's last year. Get him signed.

Also, the other stand-out of last years Euro's has sank without trace down south, Maceo Ridgers, he'd do a job also

Wigan Athletic have snapped up Daniel De Ridder after the midfielder's departure from Birmingham City.

De Ridder had his contract cancelled by Blues on Monday and has now signed a three-year deal with Wigan.

He had been brought to Birmingham by current Latics boss Steve Bruce last summer, but struggled to make an impact at St Andrews.

The Dutchman made just 12 first-team appearances for the club and is now looking forward to playing under Bruce again at the JJB Stadium.

Flattering

"When a manager says he wants you for his team, it is very flattering, especially when it is a big team like Wigan who are now well established in the Premier League," De Ridder told the club's official website.

The former Holland Under 21 international is Wigan's first signing of the summer, but Bruce is hoping De Ridder will not be the last arrival.

Bruce said: "Daniel is an exciting player and I'm convinced he can make an impact at Wigan.

"He has very quick feet and can pull off the unexpected, he's a player with a trick, who can go past defenders and has an eye for a pass.

"He is also versatile enough to play in a number of positions.

"It's clear we need to bring one or two new faces in this summer and we are currently chasing several targets. Watch this space."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3761558,00.html