Ambitions And Expectations

I have been thinking, after som opinions that have come up on other topics, where do "we" the support, view Rangers in the grand scheme of things, in the football world? What type/calibre of players do we think we can attract?

*beware, i am generalising here!*

The majority view appears to be that the SPL title is the most important thing to us, but why?

It makes us the champions, the best in the country, gives us bragging rights for the next 12 months, but, is there any more to it? It gives us access to the Champions league, however, that also brings further questions...

We shouldnt take part in Europe as the league is a priority? (or similar attitude that Europe isnt important)

This would perpetuate the thoughts that we are a "big fish in a small pond", "paper champions" essentially, as the SPL is viewed as not a real competition by many other nations. I am personally disappointed that I have to deal with the "out of Europe by Christmas" lines on a constant basis. We think we are a big club, so, we should go to these things and try to win them, rather than think, "aw its nice to be here"

All our signings/targets are "SPL Shite" and no better. But, we PLAY in the SPL, and, there are several who advocate this as the most important thing to us, so, why do we need/want/deserve better players?

My ambition and expectations for Rangers are,

I want to see us always cmpeting in the latter stages of Euro competitions, every year. If we do this, we have certain revenue streamsto allow us to buy better quality. This better quality will also want to come to us, as they will see it as an opportunity to showcase themselves at the highest level.

The knock on effect from this is that the SPL will become easier to win, as, we will have a team that keeps getting better, as it is being built to attempt to win contnental tournaments as well.

I would like to follow the blueprint set by thelikes of Arsenal and Man Utd, and play the youngsters and reserves in at least the league cup, possilbly the Scottish cup until the latter stages. This gives our lads 1st team experience, with less pressure to succeed on their shoulders, and also keeps the first team squad fresh for the League and Euro games.

:rangers:

I don't think an SPL team, with the quality we have available, can have great runs in both Europe and SPL.

If Celtic didn't prove it in 2003, we certainly did last year.

Does that mean the SPL is a difficult competition then? SinceI always hear its a 2 horse race :P

I really do fail to see why this is something every top team from most countries can manage, yet, Scottish teams cant. Its like we are buying into the media perception that we are not capable, which I disagree strongly with

every rangers fans ambition should be to try and win every competition that we enter. and not saying that certain cups dont matter, we should win every trophy if possible thats why we enter them and remember rangers dont do second best, then we have fans saying certain trophys cost us the league, and a european final meant we took our eye of the ball, funny how years ago we could fight on all fronts and still do well, just lets hope we are stil fighting for all trophy at the end of the season, and that will do for me.

every rangers fans ambition should be to try and win every competition that we enter. and not saying that certain cups dont matter, we should win every trophy if possible thats why we enter them and remember rangers dont do second best, then we have fans saying certain trophys cost us the league, and a european final meant we took our eye of the ball, funny how years ago we could fight on all fronts and still do well, just lets hope we are stil fighting for all trophy at the end of the season, and that will do for me.

I agree mate (tu), but, we were this season just gone and people are calling for the managers head?

I dont think the lague cup doesnt matter, but, with respect, if our reserves and youth are as good as they should be, for me, they should have that competition to get the experience, and game time. They may all be important, but, this one has less overall reward for us. Perhaps scenarios such as Buffel, gow etc, and, all the players we have with "potential" may have turned out differently if we adopted that route.

It really is beyond me why people think we cant fight on all fronts, its the same for other teams everywhere, and, we are a massive club. We took our eye off the ball, for sure, but, perhaps if we were achieving that kind of Euro run every season, we would learn how to cope wit the demands?

I don't think an SPL team, with the quality we have available, can have great runs in both Europe and SPL.

If Celtic didn't prove it in 2003, we certainly did last year.

Does that mean the SPL is a difficult competition then? SinceI always hear its a 2 horse race :P

I really do fail to see why this is something every top team from most countries can manage, yet, Scottish teams cant. Its like we are buying into the media perception that we are not capable, which I disagree strongly with

You raise an excellent point. We are always told the SPL is a diddy 2 horse race, yet apart from 03 and 08, the 2nd round of the Champions League seems to be our beacon of success.

Maybe it's the jump from playing Gretna, St Mirren and Hearts on the Saturday to Lyon, Barca or Man Utd on the Tuesday/Wednesday.