Statement From RST Resigned Board Members

Frankie

This statement is from the seven of us noted below who have recently resigned from executive positions on the RST board.

Background

Due to the unsuitability of the date of the RST Special General Meeting it is appropriate to make public this statement as we consider the RST members deserve an explanation of recent events.

We all continue to believe in the aims, principles and constitution of the RST. Despite strong and unnecessary provocation we do not wish to become embroiled in personal issues about individual board members.

Following negative actions by certain factions within the remaining board, together with serious differences of opinion with regard to strategy, we each, individually, and at appropriate times to affect an orderly handover, took the decision to resign.

Board split

We had been aware of a recent lack of support from certain sections of the board but felt this could be properly addressed during the close season. Unfortunately, because of the continual negative actions detailed below, it was evident such a split was incapable of being fixed.

Examples of this lack of support include: leaking information to individuals and websites; negative political behind-the-scenes briefings involving members of this faction; non-completion of action points in reasonable time-frames; and the formation of a ‘Special Tasks and Purposes Disciplinary Committee’ (see Note A) to unnecessarily control and restrict the work of some board members.

The Chairman and Vice-chairman resigned as both understandably felt they no longer had the trust and support of the majority of their peers. Subsequently five more key board members resigned in a short period underlining the problem of the serious split in the board.

Further issues which have occurred after the initial two resignations include: attempts to release incorrect information when addressing the resignations of their former colleagues; dismissing and denigrating the efforts of the resigned members; and a disgracefully abusive text message received by one of us.

We have documented and commented upon the issues regarding the split in the board however the remaining board members have failed to release this disappointing but serious information to the membership. To ensure clarity, we urge them to provide this statement to the membership at the SGM and to include it within the minutes for those unable to attend.

Future RST Strategy

Recently it has been obvious that one aspect of the board split was down to differences of opinion in the direction of the Trust.

The three year chairmanship of Malcolm McNiven brought significant success in a number of key areas: the fact the club were about to offer the RST a directorship; acceptance within the wider fan base, business community and media; the formation of the innovative ‘GerSave’ scheme; record fundraising amounts; and steadily increasing membership. Maintaining a positive relationship with the club, and Sir David Murray in particular, did not preclude constructive criticism of the club where necessary, which was still apparent and ongoing.

Despite these achievements, many of the remaining board preferred a more ‘militant’ direction, a policy which had shown little success or wider appeal in the early years of the Trust. We believe that such a strategy is divisive, unconstitutional, and will not benefit the membership or the Trust.

With the offer of a directorship now gone and club relations very poor, we believe this regression by the Trust is incompatible with our own ideals.

Conclusion

We know the Trust was extremely close to achieving genuine and sustained success which would have benefitted all supporters for generations to come. We lament that our efforts now appear to have been in vain due to the premature, overly aggressive, and controlling actions of a small faction.

We trust the membership uses this statement to ensure the problems above are openly addressed and the RST moves forwards and not backwards.

With sincere disappointment,

Malcolm McNiven (Former Chairman)

Scott McMillan (Former Vice-chairman)

David Tweed (RST Co-founder, NARSA Officer, and former Vice-chairman)

Derek Howie (Former Secretary)

Callum Renton (Former Treasurer)

Stewart Franklin (Former Webmaster)

Andrew McGowan (Former Marketing Officer)

Note A - Formation of a ‘Special Tasks and Purposes Disciplinary Committee’

This bizarre committee was formed in May 2008 and as of mid-June the personnel and remit had yet to be detailed by the proposer despite the obvious negative effects it has had on recent events.

At the 2007 RST AGM it was unanimously agreed that the board should pursue a strategy of obtaining a place on the board of the club following Sir David Murray’s concession that such a position would become available. The following period brought much dialogue between the RST and the club regarding such an appointment. The sensitive and confidential nature of these discussions, including the legal implications of access to price-sensitive information, prevented the Trust from making public comment on these negotiations. Furthermore, as there was, and remains, at least one leak on the RST board some information obtained in discussions with the club could not be relayed back to the full board.

In early May 2008, it was suggested by the club that a position would be offered to Malcolm McNiven who would communicate the details in person to the rest of the board, and a board meeting was arranged primarily for this purpose. Unavoidable work-related issues meant that both the Chairman and the Vice-chairman had to call off, rendering the principal business of the meeting redundant and the venue unavailable. Other board members holding executive positions could not attend and requested the meeting be re-arranged.

Nevertheless, the meeting went ahead with ten (out of 19) board members in attendance at another venue. What followed was essentially a coup d’état to ensure the control and/or removal of the senior office holders by the faction detailed above. A same-day addition to the Agenda by one of those in attendance proposed the formation of a ‘Special Tasks and Purposes Disciplinary Committee’, and it was suggested that four members be appointed all of whom presently remain on the board. Despite the expressed concerns of two board members that the formation of such a committee would result in resignations and serious problems thereafter, the proposal was passed by a majority of 8-2. The reason given for this committee was to install a process of control and accountability over RST board members’ meetings with outside bodies and individuals. However, this did not extend to all members, with certain external relationships given dispensation.

We believe the committee was specifically conceived with the RST’s meetings with the club in mind. This was symptomatic of a direct lack of trust in Malcolm McNiven and Scott McMillan who participated in these meetings, and whose resignations thereafter were inevitable.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite these achievements, many of the remaining board preferred a more ‘militant’ direction

Great.

But if recent rumours are to be believed then I'm out.

Jimenez:

I'm sure any more militant strategy would interest a fair amount of members but unfortunately as has been shown in the 5 years of the RST such a strategy doesn't really work very well.

That is debatable of course but there are other issues to consider in the above statement other than the general perceived direction of the organisation.

Jimenez:

I'm sure any more militant strategy would interest a fair amount of members but unfortunately as has been shown in the 5 years of the RST such a strategy doesn't really work very well.

That is debatable of course but there are other issues to consider in the above statement other than the general perceived direction of the organisation.

To be honest Frankie, Im losing all interest in the politics of our club. Both militant and other avenues deliver nothing IMO.

I thought board representation was a real result initially but it'll change nothing. For as long as Murray owns Rangers we will be doing things his way.

I'd rather go back to the supporter I was 4 years ago, who only gave a damn about how the team was performing

Jimenez:

I can understand that feeling of frustration. Believe me I share it!

However, the fact remains the best way (and in line with the RST aims) of achieving the kind of results all Trust members want was for us to have a nominated fan on the board of the club, working to ensure all our views were heard in an accountable fashion.

That will not happen so genuine, democratic supporters representation is as far off as it's ever been unfortunately.

Jimenez:

However, the fact remains the best way (and in line with the RST aims) of achieving the kind of results all Trust members want was for us to have a nominated fan on the board of the club, working to ensure all our views were heard in an accountable fashion.

That will not happen so genuine, democratic supporters representation is as far off as it's ever been unfortunately.

I detect the hand of Grand Master Dingwall and his FF uber prod henchman.

The Trust is doomed and a laughing stock, it is a pity, after such a promising start.

There will be no seat on the board (to be honest, I was never convinced of the merits of this) with the militants in charge, that is for sure.

FMB:

A seat on the board wasn't the answer to all our prayers but it was certainly a huge step in terms of the RST aims while ensuring real debate at the top table. It may or may not have worked but it was the logical step for us to take.

I honestly don't see what else is left for the Trust. Sure, they may continue but I'm unsure what they can achieve with the outlined problems of control stated above.

That's the worst thing out of all of this.

Jimenez:

The Trust is doomed and a laughing stock, it is a pity, after such a promising start.

There will be no seat on the board (to be honest, I was never convinced of the merits of this) with the militants in charge, that is for sure.

Can you cut the shit out with the protestant aspect. Cheers!

FMB:

A seat on the board wasn't the answer to all our prayers but it was certainly a huge step in terms of the RST aims while ensuring real debate at the top table. It may or may not have worked but it was the logical step for us to take.

I honestly don't see what else is left for the Trust. Sure, they may continue but I'm unsure what they can achieve with the outlined problems of control stated above.

I see FF has the statement but the thread has been closed. Seems the Rangers Trust is FF and free and frank discussion is a thing of the past in the politburo.

I will be resigning that is for sure.

FMB:

I see FF has the statement but the thread has been closed. Seems the Rangers Trust is FF and free and frank discussion is a thing of the past in the politburo.

Jimenez, I am a protestant and a Rangers Supporter, but for me I do not want to be associated with those left in the Trust. Their views are extreme, they live in a very dark world. I want no part of it.

Jimenez:

you seem obsessed with protestants, have you a problem with protestants.

Guys:

I'd appreciate it if we left the irrelevant stuff out of the thread. By all means debate the statement (and I'll try and answer questions over the next few days if necessary) but let's keep it as constructive as we can.

Im in the RST as I stand, at least for now. Im only a recent member and I liked what I saw and read. Its a huge disappointment that things went wrong, however, one thing I do believe is that the staff had the best interests of the supporter/fan at heart.

Im not clever enough to know about these things, but in the long run maybe out of adversity can come triumph ?

Guys:

I'd appreciate it if we left the irrelevant stuff out of the thread. By all means debate the statement (and I'll try and answer questions over the next few days if necessary) but let's keep it as constructive as we can.

Stick to Frankie's request please guys

Jimenez, I am a protestant and a Rangers Supporter, but for me I do not want to be associated with those left in the Trust. Their views are extreme, they live in a very dark world. I want no part of it.

Listen Friedforbrains. The Trust has never associated itself with religion in any capacity.

You seem almost compeled to link every post towards secratianism. This has nothing to do with it.

So for once, cut the shit out and debate the issues at hand

FMB:

They gave the reason...

'Because this is Follow Follow, not the RST Website, the statement has been posted and those Bears who are interested can read it, any questions go to the RST Site!'

Im in the RST as I stand, at least for now. Im only a recent member and I liked what I saw and read. Its a huge disappointment that things went wrong, however, one thing I do believe is that the staff had the best interests of the supporter/fan at heart.

Im not clever enough to know about these things, but in the long run maybe out of adversity can come triumph ?

Don't do yourself an injustice, Coops - of course you are clever enough.

No-one is/was a bigger supporter of the RST than myself. Unfortunately, that belief was completely eroded by the recent events and behaviour detailed above.

IMHO, I see no way how the RST can recover from the issues contained in the statement. I may well be wrong but I certainly don't have the faith in the remaining board to act in our best interests.

FMB:

They gave the reason...

'Because this is Follow Follow, not the RST Website, the statement has been posted and those Bears who are interested can read it, any questions go to the RST Site!'

Not good enough to be honest. They are happy for anything positive to be discussed but not something as monumental as this.

They gave the reason...

Quite frankly that's not good enough.

FF has been used for many a year to debate the RST and this is the only time I've seen a thread closed because questions have to go to the RST website. Full and frank debate on forums like FF is essential to progress the organisation.

We'll see how long that rule lasts.

Listen, it is plain as the nose on your face there has been some real underhand stuff going on within the Trust board. Read the statement. Everytime, I criticise that faction, I have you and your mate jump on me using the most derogatory terms. I stand by my views. I feel sorry for guys like Frankie who have devoted a lot of time to the Trust, seen it grow, then had to resign because of the actions of the militant core, who in my view, will lead the Trust to its demise.

Guest Andypendek

We believe the committee was specifically conceived with the RST’s meetings with the club in mind. This was symptomatic of a direct lack of trust in Malcolm McNiven and Scott McMillan who participated in these meetings, and whose resignations thereafter were inevitable.

This is a bit ambiguous - is this the club who has no faith in the reps, or those behind the coup?

Listen, it is plain as the nose on your face there has been some real underhand stuff going on within the Trust board. Read the statement. Everytime, I criticise that faction, I have you and your mate jump on me using the most derogatory terms. I stand by my views. I feel sorry for guys like Frankie who have devoted a lot of time to the Trust, seen it grow, then had to resign because of the actions of the militant core, who in my view, will lead the Trust to its demise.

I only ask that you desist from linking anything to do with the Rangers support and sectarianism especially when that clearly isn't the case. Something you seem unable grasp.