Durrant New 1st Team Coach

WALTER SMITH has named Ian Durrant Rangers' new first-team coach and Euro spymaster.

The former midfielder is in Lithuania to check on Kaunas, who are expected to be his side's opponents in their Champions League second-round qualifier.

But when he returns Durrant will be asked to play a more active role with the top team.

Smith said: "There's an awkward stage between leaving the Under-19s and making the first team.

"Ian will take those players under his wing and take special training sessions on match days when they're not involved.

"There will also be scouting missions when myself, Ally McCoist or Kenny McDowall can't go and he will start off with a trip to Lithuania to see Kaunas against Suduva in the domestic championship."

Sorry if its a re-post.

Looks like Walter might be looking to bring through a few of the youngsters that have been playing under Durrant.

Hes more likely to play Durrant.

Another one of the 'lads'!

His managerial and tactical knowledge is awful. If you attended the reserve matches then you'd cringe at some of his tactics and shouts from the dug-out.

Gearing up for a McCoist, Durrant and McDowall managerial team in the future....what a thought (td)

His managerial and tactical knowledge is awful. If you attended the reserve matches then you'd cringe at some of his tactics and shouts from the dug-out.

Gearing up for a McCoist, Durrant and McDowall managerial team in the future....what a thought (td)

would be better than the twat top right corner of your sig though (tu)

For the first time ever, I disagree.

Durrant over PLG?! C'mon, did you see that Dunfermline game?

this was the one game he was in charge after PLG was sacked? He didn't really have much a chance as we were already in a downward spiral.

There is no need for someone specific in this role of taking the young'uns "under their wing."

And the Spymaster role could be incorporated into our International Scouting Network...

Oh wait a minute...

this was the one game he was in charge after PLG was sacked? He didn't really have much a chance as we were already in a downward spiral.

Okay, on a longer scale of time then, his reserve team coaching was truly horrible.

As Muff says, some of the tactics our reserves used were mind boggling to say the least.

Not too sure?

Its a dilema right enough

And Papa, yep, I saw that, wasnt any worse than the St Johnstone game before it

Pound for pound, Durrant over PLG?

It's the first time I've defended him since he left, but a reality check is needed here.

It is a whole learning curve for the guy.

Coaching a reserve side doesnt mean jack.

1st team coach is a big step up and if he doesnt pull his weight Walter will change things around.

I hope he does well.